Model Cars Magazine Forum

Group 5 Celica LiftBack

I picked this kit up in Japan at Tamiya (on my second TamiyaCon tour).   A good friend had asked me to snag it as it wasn't readily available in the U.S. at the time.  It's been patiently sitting for over 18 years and is now on the bench for that friend's collection.

It's a reissue of the 1/24th scale '78 motorized kit; sans motor.  It will be built out-of-the-box.

I'm amazed at how thin the wall thickness of the body is and delicate the molding is.  While that is impressive, it is a concern due to the fact that the dark blue plastic is excessively brittle.  (This I know firsthand…)

od5yu8s.jpg

A few hours of scribing new and rescribing existing lines plus seam and sink mark removal resulted in this primer ready body.

iOeSKnz.jpg

YyMmtP2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The side window trim was done with Warbird Decals Chrome Stripes.

The windshield banner decal was the first one I applied to the exterior of the car, looks like they are on the brittle side.  A small piece chipped out during application.

n7sQPI3.jpg

I filled it with a drop of acrylic black and sanded it smooth.

JJ8he5H.jpg

Once the clear had cured I was surprised how much die back it had on the white panel decals.  Since they had to be sanded/polished out the whole car needed to be as well.  Made for a much nicer overall finish.

I used Hasegawa Flat Black Finish for the windshield frame.  It works a lot like BMF but is a vinyl material.  A hair dryer is helpful getting it to conform.

The glass, headlights grille door panels etc. were installed too.

TEIzpcq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2021 at 7:18 AM, iamsuperdan said:

Body turned out fantastic. Hoping the decals on mine hold up as well as yours.

Just be gentle with them.  They don't want to release from the paper as quickly as some decals.  Give a good 90 seconds to two minutes for them to slide easily.