Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Atlantis Releases

Casey

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantis listed the 57 Chevy Nomad in it's 2021 catalog alongside the 57 Chevy 2 Dr. The Chevy 2 Dr. was green lighted for production but not the Nomad. I checked the company's 2022 catalog and the Nomad isn't in it. I'm speculating it's issues with the Nomad tooling.

Edited by John M.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:00 PM, RancheroSteve said:

Don't forget, that original IMSA Mustang was updated for the SCCA Trans Am Mustang (Roush, JPS, Whistler) and Camaro (Hot Wheels, Rain-X, Sunoco).

While the IMSA versions were updated to the Trans Am versions.....nothing in the original kits were permanently altered.  Add on parts were made to the old kits to accept the new Mustang and Camaro bodies.  I'd hope all the inserts are still around.  Not that I need more of these kits....I made conversion kits that used the Mustang kit as a base and others ae making bodies too. Thanks

Original IMSA  kit

RIBBS06a.JPG

SCCA UPDATE

STJAMES11a.JPG

My Merkur conversion body

MERKURBUD.jpg

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Jim's Camaro-bodied F/C used a Ford SOHC 427 in 1:1 ???

"2 engine options 426 Hemi or FoMoCo engine 427" , according to Atlantis' site's description of the 'Jim Camaro.

The rather generic chassis was also used on the the Mustang and Maverick Funny Cars. The engine could be build as a Hemi or SOHC, and neither was any good! 

Revell Maverick Funny Car.... A real blast from my past - Drag Racing -  Model Cars Magazine Forum

• Like 1

20 hours ago, John M. said:

Atlantis listed the 57 Chevy Nomad in it's 2021 catalog alongside the 57 Chevy 2 Dr. The Chevy 2 Dr. was green lighted for production but not the Nomad. I checked the company's 2022 catalog and the Nomad isn't in it. I'm speculating it's issues with the Nomad tooling.

I hope they work on the Nomad and eventually bring it back.  I remember the top of the passenger fender had some weird crease on top of it that I gave up trying to correct.

Rude and crude. Yet I like it! I just got my Jungle Jim Camaro Funny Car in yesterday’s mail. Wow! In many ways not the best kit in the world. But a fun trip down nostalgia lane. I’ve already started working on it. And that brings up a couple of questions.

First the engine(s). I do not remember the original kit coming with two engines. My gut instinct/memory somehow remembers that this kit originally only came with Ford engine? Can anybody confirm this? And if so, I may build it with the Ford motor, rather than the Chrysler Hemi.

Second, does anybody know of what color of blue in Tamiya’s rattle cans would be close to the color the original funny car was painted in? Unlike the original kit, Atlantis’ version is molded in white. So I can not build it without paint, like I did with the one I built back in 1971. And since I only trust Tamiya spay paint, I’d like to stay with that option.

33 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Rude and crude. Yet I like it! I just got my Jungle Jim Camaro Funny Car in yesterday’s mail. Wow! In many ways not the best kit in the world. But a fun trip down nostalgia lane. I’ve already started working on it. And that brings up a couple of questions.

First the engine(s). I do not remember the original kit coming with two engines. My gut instinct/memory somehow remembers that this kit originally only came with Ford engine? Can anybody confirm this? And if so, I may build it with the Ford motor, rather than the Chrysler Hemi.

Second, does anybody know of what color of blue in Tamiya’s rattle cans would be close to the color the original funny car was painted in? Unlike the original kit, Atlantis’ version is molded in white. So I can not build it without paint, like I did with the one I built back in 1971. And since I only trust Tamiya spay paint, I’d like to stay with that option.

From my recollection of building one as a kid, yes, it had both engines in it. The copy I have now is one of the updated versions, with a better injector hat, steering wheel and wheels and tires. 

As for Tamiya paint, I would go with the Mica Blue, with Clear Blue over it

2 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

From my recollection of building one as a kid, yes, it had both engines in it. The copy I have now is one of the updated versions, with a better injector hat, steering wheel and wheels and tires. 

As for Tamiya paint, I would go with the Mica Blue, with Clear Blue over it

2 hours ago, Mark said:

The original pre-JJ version (Heavy Hugger) had only the Ford engine.  The JJ version added the Chrysler.

Thank you gentlemen.

12 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

If you (or anyone else) has any pics of what’s in the box I’d be really interested in seeing them!

On 4/23/2022 at 11:25 PM, CabDriver said:

If you (or anyone else) has any pics of what’s in the box I’d be really interested in seeing them!

For me, the frame can be adapted for a better use. I do like the positionable steering.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

• Thanks 1

I would like to see them offer those decal sheets, maybe as sets of 2 sheets, up-scaled to 1/25 for those who like to kit bash or scratch build in the one true scale for cars. Actually, including such a sheet in each kit would be a sweet bonus, and bring the value more in line with price.

Edited by bisc63
added info

14 hours ago, GarryR said:

For me, the frame can be adapted for a better use. I do like the positionable steering.

IMG_0071.jpg

Looks like the Chrome Tree is stuck between two worlds. It has some of updated parts from 70's, and then it was halfway backdated for the Heavy Hugger re-issue from a few years back. 

Notice the Butterflies for the Enderle Injector hat and the Butterfly steering wheel that where part of the update for the last time they re-issued the JJ Camaro. Also the Front Cragar Super Trick wheels center caps under the blower halves. 

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Actually, if you replace the front half of the roof with something closer to OEM, it wouldn't look too bad for a funny car body.

That windshield is too sloped back. Looks like it came from a 90s Camaro. 

As I stated in an earlier tread, somewhere between a Tom Daniel's custom and a Palmer attempt.

What it was.

1970 Jungle Jim camaro FC.jpg

On 4/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, John M. said:

Any idea if they managed to get the '56 Chevy sedan from that same tri-five series?