Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Atlantis Releases

Casey

On 3/31/2022 at 3:59 PM, Fat Brian said:

The first IMSA Mustang and the GTP kit should be fine, but yeah, I bet this early body doesn't exist anymore for the SCCA car. These are ones I don't think changed.

24-revell-gtp-ford-mustang-eleven_1_ab773146153aef28dfbb6e36a4043704.jpg.bde722e8ea51e9232b50b8e3e6a8ac58.jpg

And to add to the "useless junk pile" the Motorsport Mustang underpinnings are a near drop fit on the Tamiya Turbo Capri kit.  Naturally as the original car was a simple re-body of the Group 5 Capri.  Just such a build was the subject of an article in the late and much lamented Motor Racing Replica News.

f7Ar5DF.jpg

8 hours ago, The Junkman said:

And to add to the "useless junk pile" the Motorsport Mustang underpinnings are a near drop fit on the Tamiya Turbo Capri kit.  Naturally as the original car was a simple re-body of the Group 5 Capri.  Just such a build was the subject of an article in the late and much lamented Motor Racing Replica News.

f7Ar5DF.jpg

That's good news because that is one thing I'm planning on doing. I only recently got the Capri kit after ignoring it the last time it was out, they're pricey now and it took a while to find a deal.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:59 PM, Fat Brian said:

The first IMSA Mustang and the GTP kit should be fine, but yeah, I bet this early body doesn't exist anymore for the SCCA car. These are ones I don't think changed.

24-revell-gtp-ford-mustang-eleven_1_ab773146153aef28dfbb6e36a4043704.jpg.bde722e8ea51e9232b50b8e3e6a8ac58.jpg

Both of those 'Mustang' kits are standalone kits and were never modified into anything else. They should exist somewhere.......not sure where.  I love the kits......it's rare we get GTP and GTX type kits of any car. These were both partly funded by FORD! My builds....Great kits BTW

MUSTANGGTPa.JPG

MUSTANGGTP7.jpg

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

Dave, that #16 Car is killer! I really like it. How many liveries did Monogram issue it in? Is it really hard to find now?

Monogram did two different schemes on both kits. The GTX was done in FORD and Miller Beer. The GTP was done in FORD and 7-11. Indycals does all the decals now. The kits show up on ebay....price depends on whos lookin!!!! Thanks

MUSTANGGTP4.jpg

3 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I would not waste a correct resin body on that kit, it is not worth it. At least to me. 

I know what you mean. It fits the Revell Vega chassis and looks very close to the Polar Lights chassis. Right now I'm not sure which best represents the time period. 

9 hours ago, imarriedawitch said:

I know what you mean. It fits the Revell Vega chassis and looks very close to the Polar Lights chassis. Right now I'm not sure which best represents the time period. 

The Polar Lights chassis would be your best bet, that is what I plan on using when I slap one together. 

On 4/27/2022 at 7:39 AM, Dave Van said:

Monogram did two different schemes on both kits. The GTX was done in FORD and Miller Beer. The GTP was done in FORD and 7-11. Indycals does all the decals now.

Nice builds, Dave! I've got the Mustang GT on the bench now - building it as the "red" Miller version, using the Speedline decals.

image.jpeg.6c4c45cc0d8c21ed076ede19d1cd3fe9.jpeg

Edited by RancheroSteve
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2022 at 5:23 AM, Fat Brian said:

That's good news because that is one thing I'm planning on doing. I only recently got the Capri kit after ignoring it the last time it was out, they're pricey now and it took a while to find a deal.

Regarding the GTX Mustang/Turbo Capri kit bash: I can scan the article and PM it to you.  Looking it over, its not a step-by-step as much as "here's things to adjust and look out for".

• Like 1

You guys are killing me.

Based on this thread, I just chased down vintage Monogram GTX and GTP Mustangs, fairly cheap.

I had a built GTP to restore, but didn't know the GTX existed. 

Ford Aerospace had significant involvement with the GTP composite chassis and body development and construction.

My, how times have changed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, The Junkman said:

Regarding the GTX Mustang/Turbo Capri kit bash: I can scan the article and PM it to you.  Looking it over, its not a step-by-step as much as "here's things to adjust and look out for".

Yes, I'd love to have it.

On 4/26/2022 at 8:16 AM, horsepower said:

Any idea if they managed to get the '56 Chevy sedan from that same tri-five series?

I'm not sure if Atlantis has the tooling for the 56 Chevy or not. I for one hope so as well.

Sorry it took long to reply.