Model Cars Magazine Forum

2022 Atlantis Releases

Casey

It's the ex-Revell kit with hinged hood, doors, and trunk.  I built one a few years ago from a Nineties issue (the Roth issue came out after I had started it).

It doesn't just fall together out of the box, but the pieces do actually fit for the most part.  Just resist the temptation to redesign or re-engineer it other than to fix the hinges which are on the sloppy side.  Window fit on mine was tough, but I'd bet Atlantis is taking a bit more care in molding the kit than Revell did so that might not be as much of a factor.

Bottom line...not the best nor the easiest to assemble '57 Chevy kit out there.  But if you like Tri-Five Chevies, you should take a swing at sticking one of these together.  I used to be bothered by the scale and accuracy differences between different companies' kits of the same car.  Now that stuff gets me interested in seeing the differences.

• Like 2

I am kinda curious about the old Revell 57 Bel Air, I did acquire an original built up 2 years ago. Does anyone know if Atlantis did any cleanup or fixing the mold or are they just leaving it as is and issuing. Does anyone have any photos of what’s in the box??

195977EE-0989-4779-B61C-1FA4CF39E48A.png

Edited by carnut

The Atlantis '57 Chevy; build it stock or drag. Real disappointed after opening the box to find nothing much to build a drag version. Just assumed when it said "build it drag" there would be some slicks, etc. but there's nothing.

17 hours ago, TonyK said:

The Atlantis '57 Chevy; build it stock or drag. Real disappointed after opening the box to find nothing much to build a drag version. Just assumed when it said "build it drag" there would be some slicks, etc. but there's nothing.

From what I remember, the Drag stuff consisted of a blower, straight front axle, roll bar, custom steering wheel, slicks, moon tank and steel chrome reverse style wheels. 

There might be a few more items, but it is really a simple setup 

The first Revell issue had a roll bar, slicks, and mag wheels for the rear only.  It also had five stock tires (one for the spare).  It didn't have the supercharger or straight axle. 

When the blower and straight axle were added, the mags, spare tire, and roll bar were taken out.  The hinges on everything were changed too.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 1:43 AM, TonyK said:

How are the tires and mold quality? Flash etc?

The kit is in real nice shape with no flash and tires are plain sidewall current looking radials.

Yes, slicks would be nice along with any other extras to build a drag version. I have plenty of slicks in my stash and wheels to use but my big gripe is don't advertise I can build it stock or drag and not include the parts to actually build it drag.

They snookered me into buying this kit and I ended up with a stock '57 Chevy which I don't want.

3 minutes ago, TonyK said:

The kit is in real nice shape with no flash and tires are plain sidewall current looking radials.

Yes, slicks would be nice along with any other extras to build a drag version. I have plenty of slicks in my stash and wheels to use but my big gripe is don't advertise I can build it stock or drag and not include the parts to actually build it drag.

They snookered me into buying this kit and I ended up with a stock '57 Chevy which I don't want.

A complaint I've heard about the recent issues of this kit has been the poor fitment of the glass in the openings. Could we bother you to do a little test fitting?

I just did a test fit on the windows. The rear has a hint of a gap on both sides and the front has a worse gap on both sides. Both of them have little to no extra area on which to glue them in place.

• Like 1

That pack is included in the Mooneyes dragster kit.  The dragster uses only one part from it: the tow bar (or maybe the push bar), which was repurposed as a suspension piece for the dragster.

The Fiat coupe kit includes the tubular frame pack, not this one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark said:

That pack is included in the Mooneyes dragster kit.  The dragster uses only one part from it: the tow bar (or maybe the push bar), which was repurposed as a suspension piece for the dragster.

The Fiat coupe kit includes the tubular frame pack, not this one.

Yep, you’re right.  I already have a few of the Mooneyes kit, but I still ordered an extra when I saw their email this morning.

Actually, I was gonna order a few, just to have them, but by the time I posted about it on here, ate breakfast, fed the cat, talked to my wife, got gas, etcetera etcetera there was only one left 😩😂

1DDC560A-9274-4D8C-AD9D-E0882E788C9D.jpeg