Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rick Couch tribute car

Karmodeler2

I know many of you knew Ricky Couch and it was he who convinced me (more like threatened…j.k.) to compete at model shows and for the many years that I knew him, he always motivated me and inspired me to build better models. His work was amazing to me and his creative thinking was something I envied everyday. After his death, the model world just didn’t seem the same to me. We all miss him. Then someone planted an idea in my head (thanks Larry & Mark) to do a tribute model to him since resin copies of Ricky’s “Bad Fish†were available. I jumped at the chance to come up with something that I thought he would like and that I could enjoy building while remembering what a great friend he was to me and to all. I hope you like the shots, and I hope to be done with it soon. I’ll post it “under glass†when it’s done.

The car itself is the resin body with about ½ inch added to the front fenders forward of the front tires. It was hard to get that Allison motor in without the mod. I did shave off the molded on rear bumper, scored some lines for doors and cut some holes for taillights. I will put the glass in from the outside. I used the 71 cuda kit, cut out the grill and grafted it onto the resin body. I cut the interior some, and the seats/dash…but from that the interior is basically stock. The pipes are brass that I bent up and soldered, then nickel plated on the stove with the Caswell plating system (VERY EASY). The headlights are brass that I made and did the same way. The snake skin is a temporary body tattoo that you apply with water (very easy too). I have hidden a rattlesnake on the trunk…I will hide it a little more before the PPG clear coat. The color is Alclad copper with a copper pearl on top. I still have some decals to put on the rear quarter panel that say "Allison V12" and a few other touches.

Ricky called his “Bad Fishâ€â€¦a play on the name of the car. I am calling mine “Bad Snakeâ€. There are a few more out there with there on themes that you will probably be seeing soon. If you lost someone whom you admired, you will find pleasure in you memories of them when you do something like this. Hope you enjoy it.

Sincerely,

David

P7170353.jpg

P7170359.jpg

P7170354.jpg

P7170358.jpg

P7170363.jpg