Model Cars Magazine Forum

'87 T'bird Turbo coupe...OOB build

TransAmMike

I have had very many cars over the years and tend to build replica's of them. Santa gave me this kit this past Christmas and now I am in the process of working on it.

I seldom do WIP's because I find taking pics, editing and resizing them (which I'm also a WIP😃) and posting them on the forum to be too laborious. I'm calling this an abbreviated WIP.

I have become a fan of Stynylrez primer/Createx top coat/Rust Crystal Clear Acrylic fan....well sort of.  The primer coats and black topcoat went on pretty much OK. After a few days I sprayed the  Rusto clear and it almost immediately checked badly. No clue why because it's not the first time I have used this process. So, into the Purple Pond it went (first time I have ever done it). I was expecting better and faster results but after 4 days I finally managed to get all the paint off.

I decided to get a bottle of Createx AutoBorne black sealer/primer at HL (clearance for some reason. $6.49 reduced to $1.64).  Wow, what a smooth finish...way better than I ever got with The Stynylrez. The pics you will see of the body are after top coating with the Createx opaque air brush colors paint.  The finish is pretty darn smooth and with clearing should come out slick.  My issue now is what clear to use because I sure don't want to have a replay of the issue I had.

20211103_170628.png.13365ddb1b7dcb12624e48a97be6b92d.png20211103_170653.png.67f51c548e8fddfc136cabb6d45fe3af.png

The miniscule 4 cyl Turbocharged engine is really well detailed in this kit.   

20211104_162724.png.170783320dd4f87155586c46bb3711a8.png20211104_163219.png.6fd5d349e94611aed9d4946f7aa501c9.png

IMG_20211104_162914.png.88d2e9d7c3d50812bcbb720299e6d8e5.png

The interior.  The pics show it a bit orangy but it really is red

1906794739_20211104_141121(1).png.fcf64cb49e55421a9645d2e04c659227.png

527763955_20211104_141225(1).png.cad20eb1467f13ccfbb5b794ca3d34e4.png

The chassis/undercarriage

1751001361_20211028_184214(1).png.642f5c3e5acedb420bb8fd4e356a5616.png

20211028_184103.png.80abc4425dd00395094aadc3b0c9962a.png

Well thats it for now. I have an original bottle of Future I may use to clear the body tomorrow.

Thanks for looking!!!!

Hi Mike!

Great build. This kit IS a very good and well detailed kit. Just the engine speaks volume. 

To your point about clear: lately, I've been experimenting with all sorts, and lo and behold, my new favorite is MR. Hobby (Japan) super clear. Lacquer based, marked smell, but flows and flashes very well. They have a second variety, called Top Coat, that I tried also, as a "flash coat" after 2 medium coats of the former, and it flashed very well, and was easy to buff to a mirror shine. More expensive than, say Tamya's, but you get your money's worth. 

Just my two cents, FWIW...

Good luck!

CT 

Hi Mike, nice to see a WIP from you sir! You are off to a great start. This is my favourite T Bird body style, so I’ll be watching. I don’t have the experience, or skill of Claude, but I too had a great result with the Mr Hobby clear. That’s my 2 cents! Now you have 4 cents!!

Cheers, Steve

23 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mike!

Great build. This kit IS a very good and well detailed kit. Just the engine speaks volume. 

To your point about clear: lately, I've been experimenting with all sorts, and lo and behold, my new favorite is MR. Hobby (Japan) super clear. Lacquer based, marked smell, but flows and flashes very well. They have a second variety, called Top Coat, that I tried also, as a "flash coat" after 2 medium coats of the former, and it flashed very well, and was easy to buff to a mirror shine. More expensive than, say Tamya's, but you get your money's worth. 

Just my two cents, FWIW...

Good luck!

CT 

11 minutes ago, Steve H said:

Hi Mike, nice to see a WIP from you sir! You are off to a great start. This is my favourite T Bird body style, so I’ll be watching. I don’t have the experience, or skill of Claude, but I too had a great result with the Mr Hobby clear. That’s my 2 cents! Now you have 4 cents!!

Cheers, Steve

Thanks Claude and Steve.  I probably should think about it...just wonder how compatible it is with  Createx.

4 hours ago, espo said:

Sorry to hear about your paint issues but it sounds like you have that under control now. The Black exterior with the Red Interior will look sharp. Was that the color combination of your T-Bird ? 

Thanks David and yes, it is what mine was.  It was a really cool, fun and comphy drive especially with the 5-speed. Also you could vary the ride firmness. Really an great little car.

4 hours ago, JollySipper said:

Mike, this looks really good! When I built mine, the only problem I had was the headlights....... DupliColor makes a clear they call "1K clear". It's in a large can...... It's kinda 'hot' but shines really nice. May be worth trying on something scrap.....

How did you do the red stripe around the whole car TJ?  I have 1/8 inch vinyl tape thats just a bit too wide for my likeing. I think I can cut it thinner to work tho.

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

How did you do the red stripe around the whole car TJ?

I didn't! I just painted all the trim with black after masking it all with foil....... Your tape idea sounds like a good idea, you could possibly lay it on a piece of glass and cut it in half with a straight edge.....

16 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Ray.  It does have a nice gloss. First use of the Future in a very long time. 

I've never known a need to polish Future. It's self leveling. Maybe polish the color coat next time, then apply Future?

1 hour ago, ZTony8 said:

I've never known a need to polish Future. It's self leveling. Maybe polish the color coat next time, then apply Future?

Oh its nice and level Tony.  Just a few spots with tiny trash or bubble spots.  No polishing on the acrylic color coat.