Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is it about 48 and 96 hour builds?

I don't get it, I happen to see it more often that people mention it is a 48 or 96 hour build.

Please don't get me wrong, but I don't live over there and have no clue what is meant with that. Is it some kind of race, is it a group-build, is it a challenge or is it just dragging about how fast one can build?

I don't get it, I happen to see it more often that people mention it is a 48 or 96 hour build.

Please don't get me wrong, but I don't live over there and have no clue what is meant with that. Is it some kind of race, is it a group-build, is it a challenge or is it just dragging about how fast one can build?

Not sure about the other builders, but my projects tend to take me awhile, and sometimes I just want to finish something because I'm starting to feel like I'm buried in semi-complete projects. In these cases, I'll remove everything else from my crowded workbench and complete a simpler build in a weekend - sometimes in 24 hours. It takes me back to the days of my youth, when I built a model every two days or so during vacations from school - not worrying about wiring engines, polishing paint,etc.

I've found that quickie builds are something I just can't do. Every time I attempt it I just end up making changes and improvements until it's not longer a quickie project. I just can't be satisified with the results of a quickie build so it seems like wasted time to me. The quickest build I've ever done is three weeks and that was a curbside. Nothing against those that do enjoy a quick build, it's just not for me.

David

i think the idea and the goal is to get something built and on the shelf.

I understand that, I just get no satisfaction from building that way. I'd rather take a break from modeling altogether and come back with a fresh look and attitude than just crank one out just to have something to throw on the shelf.

David

For me, model building is something that I do because I like the process. For me it's not about getting another model up on the shelf (I only have enough space in my house to display only a small fraction of the model's I've built, anyway).

Personally I get no satisfaction from putting an artificial "due date" on any project. In fact, just the opposite... if I tried to force myself into building a model within a certain time frame, it would be more of a hassle to me than a relaxing, enjoyable experience. I have enough deadlines in my work... I don't need to add even more deadlines to my life. I build at my own pace, no particular ETA ever. I have some "WIPs" that have been in progress, on and off (mostly off) for literally years and years! No problem... they'll be finished whever I feel like finishing them. Maybe never! So what? :lol:

I agree with Dave (davkin)... if you start to feel burned out on a particular project, box it up and put it away for a while. Try something else, or take a break altogether. Works for me...

It's just a quick easy to build out of the box model you can put on the shelf in 24-96 hrs. Some people just like building them that fast and not do any extras.

It's a long long long story but I knew this guy who had a collection of 200+ model airplanes built at his house and not a one had a spec of paint on it.

For others, it's a good way to jump start building after a building stall or slump.

Let me clarify: it's not about FINISHING the model. For me, it's about pushing through the part of modelbuilding that I really DON'T enjoy - finish bodywork and paint. I love coming up with a new concept - engineering working features and coming up with ways to replicate little details. Getting plastic glass-smooth and laying perfect paint on is like torture for me - torture that I endure to get the model done, and off my desk to make room for the next one. I have over TWO HUNDRED unfinished model projects for this very reason, and 98% of them are full of custom and kitbash work. So when I feel the weight of all those unfinished projects bearing down on me, I just build something less involved.

Here are some 24-hour builds:

DCchebby1.jpg

dragqueen12.jpg

DSCN0002.jpg

sensation03.jpg

Okay since alot of people dont know about these and keep saying that they never could do someting in that time(personaly if that is the only response on a 96 hour build dont post it :lol: ) let me explain.

The other board that i am on every month we have a build topic. You get a time limit of 96 hours(4 days) and we have a theme like long roofs, trucks, mild kustom, racer, gasser, rat rod. U pick a kit that u think is worthy and u start on the friday and build through to monday. The point is not to realy go hard core with details on it, but just to build it and have fun. One of our 96 hour builds were trucks(pickup trucks) so everyone who wanted to do it posted what they wanted to build. So then they picked a model and posted the progress of it. You dont have to build it box stock parts box parts are allowed. So then they post up the progress like motor assembly chassie assembly and paint stuff like that. So then they do this till its done withing the 96 hours.

The point is not to brag bout being able to knock out a model in 96 hours or less but it is just to have fun(something that alot of people dont see on this board and others) :huh: Also if you dont finish it its still cool. Then it just becomes a project but a project that tends to be finished withing 2 maybe 3 days after.

Whatever the outcome is though people on that board respect the builds and dont post things like "I could never finish something in that time" so please if you only got that to say and wont coment the model dont post <_< I hope this clears some of the whys up.

Hope this didnt make me sound rude but i am just tired if why do you do it, it aint fun, and i couldnt finish something in that aloted time,

B)

Bluesman , I 'm in the same boat with you and Harry , I just can't seem to push for that " intended " date of completion. I keep 6 or 7 projects running at once , in case of melt down , boredom , or off the wall syndrome ! That is just the builds , I always have kits prepped for paint , in case I'm so inclined towards that end of the spectrum.

To each their own , everyone has their own likes and ways of approaching the hobby . I started back into this to maintain my sanity ... Seems I waited a bit too long. From reading a lot of these posts , I gather that I have a whole lot of company ! Noticed as of late , a bit of testiness around here .

Merry Christmas , Everybody !

The Old Man

48 and 96 hour builds?

That's a lot of time!

Try building a LeMans racer during the 24 hours of the race!

Everyone I know who joins in the fun has a blast! And the finished models are generally quite well done.

Of course the 24 hour builds are planned ahead, and we allow a few preparations. Therefore it can be completely "grokked", and all planned out. Lay out all the tools/materials and go for it. When working with a group it's 10X more fun.

No problemo if you don't understand, but don't automatically dismiss it if you haven't seen it for yourself!

Thanks guys for clearing it up, so it was both a challenge/groupbuild as just building a quickie :angry:

I build a few quickies, but since a little while I don't have the sattisfaction anymore, it lacks detail and I see too much things I wish I had done different.

My paintjobs are now even smeared over at least 2 weeks, all to do with preparations, painting and polishing. hahaha

I am the guilty one.

It was from my forum that this started. It was my idea. I thought it would be fun to see what happened in that amount of time. I thought it would be a way to get a few guys together , building and having fun without worries of how nice it came out. It's for fun, nothing more...

The reason people say "done in 48 or 96 hours" is mostly to say "this is not my best, was built in short time" just a heads up for the viewer more than anything.

I have not been able to build in the last few, one of my moderators Robert took over and he is doing good keeping them going. This is really a fun thing and very interesting to see what kind of ride can be build in that amount of time hehe!

You have probably seen some of my 48 hour builds? I threw them together in short time and some people really loved them, most of all I really love them as they were stress free, fun and make my "shelf" look fuller hah! <_<

I get burned out too on a project if I take too long on it. I generally take about 4 to 6 weeks on a build. For example in early November I started on a Revell 99 Chevy Silverado. I've had a lot of trouble with the paint job and its been very discouraging. I've had to take a week or two off from it. I just now have started messing with it again.

I am the guilty one.

It was from my forum that this started. It was my idea. I thought it would be fun to see what happened in that amount of time. I thought it would be a way to get a few guys together , building and having fun without worries of how nice it came out. It's for fun, nothing more...

The reason people say "done in 48 or 96 hours" is mostly to say "this is not my best, was built in short time" just a heads up for the viewer more than anything.

I have not been able to build in the last few, one of my moderators Robert took over and he is doing good keeping them going. This is really a fun thing and very interesting to see what kind of ride can be build in that amount of time hehe!

You have probably seen some of my 48 hour builds? I threw them together in short time and some people really loved them, most of all I really love them as they were stress free, fun and make my "shelf" look fuller hah! ;)

I took over as Bob had too much on his plate running his web site/forum.

It is not some thing everybody can do, but is a lot of fun. Of the 6 builds I finished this year 5 are these "quick" builds.

The Key to getting it done in a short time, using as much of the parts from the box as possible, having all "extra" parts on hand, planning every mod and change before hand. Then it is just a matter of doing what you want to get everything to fit, painted and assembled.

Edited by Robert81

Then it is just a matter of doing what you want to get everything to fit, painted and assembled.

Uh, ya, that's where I fall down on the quick build thing. :)

I started my current project a month ago as a one month quick build, (Ya, for me one month is quick.) and here it is one month later and I'm still working on the frame and suspension. Nothing has been primered yet let alone painted. I've reworked the frame 5 or 6 times alone, I haven't even started on the body yet! I started out with the idea of keeping this a simple build, yea right. It seems to go this way every time I try, but I'm not sorry or feel bad about it, I've just learned to accept that's how I am.

My point is this, every modeler is different. That's great that some of you can build a model in a couple days and have fun, but not everybody can do that. It's not because we don't like to have fun, we just enjoy the hobby in a different way. Just because it takes some of us a year or longer to build a model doesn't mean we aren't having just as much fun.

Build your model however you want, there's no wrong way to enjoy this hobby.

David

Bluesman ,

Seems to me , as of late , individuals seem to be a mite bit testicular around here . Individuals are looking for a fight if someone does'nt agree with their stated opinion. I wholeheartedly agree with you , but , you're beating your head against the wall . Let it go , Dude ! Ain't worth the time or your trouble .

As for me , I can build either way. If I have a show coming up , I'll push myself to get a certain car done , but only if it's going to be done right ! As you stated , we are all diffrent in our approach to the hobby . I , being single now, no longer have the responsibility that comes with marriage. Therefore , I now have more time to build at my leisure , others on the other side of the fence , don't have that luxury . No , I am not suggesting that everyone rush out and get divorced because that in itself is an expensive adventure ! LOL ! More building time ? Yes ! Money for new projects .....Ahhhh , nope !

Reading through the posts over the last couple of months brings me to a conclusion that certain individuals need to sit back , take a deep breath , and quit battling with anyone who posts a diffrent opinion or approach to their subject . There is far too much knowledge on this forum to be obtained from people like yourself , The Tree Hugger , Florida Boy , etc , for people to indulge in this silly practice . Besides , if I want to witness a domestic , I'll go find one of my ex-wives , and get into it with a professional !

By the way , I read your post on the paint question , you nailed it , hands down ! To say that I was impressed with your answer would be putting it mildly ! You do have your system down pat , something that not too many people understand or practice ! Painting for them would become a joy rather than a task .

Catch ya later !

Donn

I'm going to get in trouble for this, but I have something I need to say.

Bluesman Mark: Is this thread about you? ^_^ Are you trying to force your opinion? It seems that way with 4 posts saying you can't build a anything quick and that it is no fun trying to meet a deadline. You keep saying you are not bashing this style of build, but you have not once said anything that is not against it.

As far as I have read in the initial post the Question was what are 48 and 96 hour builds and why do people do them, not why people don't build that way. <_<

Of 25 posts only 5 had anything positive, all the other where "I can't build that way and I don't understand why somebody would do it that way".

I thought this was an open minded forum? from this thread, I feel a lot of hostility toward, these kind of builds.

I posted my latest 96 hour build, in the "on the bench" section, just before this thread opened. A 41 ford Woody. I feel that that build sparked this.

I would add that it was not finished in 96 hours and may never be finished, but at least I tried.

Okay, I'm at a loss, just where the heck did this all come from? I thought the discussion up to this point had been very reasoned.

David

David ,

Blame it on the Bluesman, he thinks that he's entitled to his own opinion ! The nerve of the guy ! I wish he'd just run down to the shop and build a car in 8 hours just so this would all go away! Yo ! Blues , how is that headache feelin' now ? And people want to know where the nickname " Lone Wolf " came from ? Sheesh!

Donn Yost

Lone Wolf Custom Painting

Blame it on the Bluesman, he thinks that he's entitled to his own opinion !

Normally I'd be with ya on that one but I don't see what Mark said here that was so offensive, (and I'm not saying that just because we agree on something for possibly the first time ever. <_< ) Maybe Mark was a tad over-exuberant in his posts but if you take them at face value there's nothing there to get upset about.

David