Model Cars Magazine Forum

Brbo 2021 Brockway 361 mixer tribute

The Brockway mixer is a tribute to the retired B&D  fleet  in the southern tier , thats since been sold off for scrap . These trucks were a common sight hauling loads around the southern tier,  and the siren song of their  6-71s filling the air . The shop typically made modifications to every truck and I tried to capture them on this build . 

The main build focused around a 361 cab and Rex 770  from AITM.  B& D trucks had custom built " pit fenders " so I ordered them from Dave too. Their rear fenders were commonly backwards,  and up front they always had a logging chain welded to the front springs for yanking them free if mired on job sites . I cut the kit hood free and formed a metal one from K&s tin hinging it to show off the 6-71 from gw trucks . Paint is rusto sunrise red & JD green . Decals were printed by Joseph Schultz of diecast & decals . Weathering w actual concrete powder .

20211106_111411.thumb.jpg.26beaf6c96d8a782170da170bb610d5c.jpg

20211106_111438.thumb.jpg.397fb5d7c869e536a7b07256e2bcad38.jpg

20211106_111451.thumb.jpg.d4d6b668204561389bea2bc65bdbe672.jpg

20211106_111537.thumb.jpg.a9cf8b757d9d90b3076ff6d519c60855.jpg

20211106_112108.thumb.jpg.3ae0b8d0778a922d67ba5b1a03e14778.jpg

20211106_111513.thumb.jpg.300432c9c54db0b60fa9c5656ed9b108.jpg

20211106_111942.thumb.jpg.133f0ac1b8e6e4ecb8d30ee9a6999138.jpg

any feedback welcome! 

• Like 1

Wow that’s a beauty. Love the weathering. Sometimes you can’t beat the look when using the real thing - in this case, with the concrete powder. The added details and modifications are great. The aftermarket tires make a big difference in realism, too. Fantastic!

Edited by vincen47

6 hours ago, vincen47 said:

Wow that’s a beauty. Love the weathering. Sometimes you can’t beat the look when using the real thing - in this case, with the concrete powder. The added details and modifications are great. The aftermarket tires make a big difference in realism, too. Fantastic!

Thanks Vince ! I really wish I'd sprayed a dull coat before doing the powder , it didn't stain the parts liked I'd hoped..but these trucks were maintained at a high level by the drivers anyway . 

First thing I always add are am tires , nothing beats the quality and detail 

1 hour ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

Looks great Jeff! Looks like a real work horse!! Excellent work!

Thanks Brian ! I hated to dirty up the paint , but glad I weathered it 

16 minutes ago, Mopar - D said:

Awesome build Jeff! I enjoyed following your WIP of this build. 

Thanks Dan  ! It's been a fun adventure,  actually hoping to have this displayed at the Brockway museum for everyone to see. 

4 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Great build and super weathering. The outside picture gives it an extra reality factor.

Thanks  ! When we rebuilt our deck this summer everyone said I built it strong enough to park a truck on it...never imagined actually parking one on it 

5 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

This old Brockway mixer has an awesome look !!😀👍

Thanks ! It was a very enjoyable project 

3 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Great lookin’ mixer! Were the folks at the batch plant fine with you driving off with it to take pics? :D

Hahahaha i only borrowed it for a few minutes.. they had quite a few to choose from . Sadly I hear most have been parted out now . One lives on by a lucky owner though

Hi Jeff, I usually follow all your builds as I also did with this one. It looks fantastic with this concrete dust weathering. Although, I'd say the mud flaps look a tiny little bit too clean, aren't they:)? But otherwise I'm a bit envious:). Wow, this thing just looks awesome! Take care, Juergen

• Like 1

On 11/13/2021 at 11:54 AM, HJK said:

Hi Jeff, I usually follow all your builds as I also did with this one. It looks fantastic with this concrete dust weathering. Although, I'd say the mud flaps look a tiny little bit too clean, aren't they:)? But otherwise I'm a bit envious:). Wow, this thing just looks awesome! Take care, Juergen

I appreciate the comments,  yeah I realized I should've dusted the flaps.  I'll fix that soon ! Thanks again for following 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/28/2021 at 7:20 PM, Pete68 said:

Great looking build Jeff your hard on this work paid off. Thanks for hosting the 2021 BRBO this year going to miss you this next year. 

Thanks Lee  ! Hosting the brbo is fun, I won't be far away..been looking at ship building for a bit and gonna try a couple . I'm sure I'll have a truck build close by lol

• Like 1