Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bugatti Royal

Hard_2_Handle_454

Got this as a Christmas present last year.  Finally, got around to building it.  I didn't like the colors of the actual cars, so, just like the original buyers of said cars, I built it to my tastes.  The kit isn't a bad one.  There's some fit issues and the directions are garbage, but I think it came out great.

No under hood pics, I had some issues with the hood and had to glue it in place.  The bar that holds the hood together was one fit issue.

51540920756_41dd63984a_k.jpgSAM_0577 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

51541162783_10cb1bc885_k.jpgSAM_0578 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

51541643084_2bdc063b67_k.jpgSAM_0579 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

51541642989_ec1930f5e9_k.jpgSAM_0580 by Eric Lucas, on Flickr

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chuckyg1 said:

Your color choice works well. Nice looking build. These things were monsters compared to today's cars. Any big issues putting it together?

Like I said, the bar for the hood was a major fit issue.  Some of the stuff for the engine can be a pain.  There's a lot of stuff on the engine and it kind of gets in the way of itself.  Lining stuff up for the chassis is a bit of a pain.  The same can be said about lining stuff up with the top.  Some of the underside stuff can be a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice model.

It is based on the Weinberger Bugatti Royale. Lindberg originally and I think possibly Revell issued it later.

The kit depicts the car as  it was restored by Charles Chayne and painted cream. Originally the car was black with a yellow trim on the body and yellow edges to the fenders. Chayne also changed the wheels to have hub caps with the EB logo on them. If modellers wish to build to original spec they will need to rob an Italeri Royale of its wheels to replace the wheels on this one.

• 1 month later...

Nice build. 

I'm working on one right now. Yes, the instructions are BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH. I work on mine off and on, sometimes several weeks between sessions, so maybe I missed something, but I haven't figured out how to attach the rear bumper assembly. Otherwise, everything thus far has fit fairly well, after some test fitting. 

I like this one. I agree with the others that your colors work very well. I saw this car (the 1:1) running at OCF maybe 5-7 years ago and it was incredible.  I would love to see the Henry Ford restore it to its original color combination,  given the financial status of most major museums today I doubt it will ever happen.  Again,  great model.