Model Cars Magazine Forum

ACME SOUTHERN NATIONALS

Ace-Garageguy

It's over. Great turnout by modelers and vendors (without a mask in sight), and I got to have nice chats with Pico Elgin and Bill Cunningham (two of the guys who've really been pushing the limits of 3D printing), and Okey Spaulding.

In short, it's here, it's "affordable", and the possible results are staggeringly beautiful. Mr. Cunningham's models are the best I've ever seen in 1/24 scale, bar none.

Sorry I don't have any photos. I couldn't find a memory card this AM that would work with my old camera.

But I'm certain somebody will shortly remedy the lack-of-pix situation.    B)

Kudos to ACME! They put on one heck of an event. There were some fine examples of model building on display and it was a joy to meet some of the builders and chop it up about the hobby. The vendor turnout may have been too good, as I kept finding that my wallet had found it’s way out of my pocket and into my hand. I thoroughly enjoyed the day, even won a raffle! Unfortunately, I’m no help in remedying the photolessness of this post. Thanks again, ACME.

It really got off to an early start...

WP_20211106_001.jpg.71099961efc2d01115b8cf69ec68017c.jpg

and, before you could turn around to say Hi! to someone, things got busy!

WP_20211106_002.jpg.2a625bb6d9327c2c8a35d21d8f2c1c19.jpg

Before too long the table tops came alive while in the background the venders were being overwhelmed with the early bird crowd!

WP_20211106_005.jpg.cc7803a3ed6d77cc664f5227658d9701.jpg

While all the spectators and builders were starting to gather, the stack of donated door prizes over took the front edge of the stage!

WP_20211106_006.jpg.5e5f53b6eecf96d3dae9a39495c1c5e1.jpg

Most every one stepped across the street for a burger &/ hot dog!  @Speedpro had one of each!! -KK

WP_20211106_007.jpg.862ad64a325e69a7c660eaa73c25764f.jpg

Edited by Kit Karson
Text correction...

16 minutes ago, Timonator said:

I would really like to learn more about this 3d printing stuff.

^^^   For those who don't know, the three exquisite models (and the larger scale engine model) immediately above were entirely designed in CAD and 3D printed by Bill Cunningham, who I mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Every part (except plug wires and flexible hoses) is printed, including the tube frames and the wire wheels.

His body panels are only 1mm thick, and he's accomplishing things that "experts" have said couldn't be done.

He's also using relatively inexpensive printers, one of which can be had for around $150.

The photos, though very nice, simply do not do the models justice. They have to be seen up close to be fully appreciated...and they're almost beyond belief.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

^^^   For those who don't know, the three exquisite models (and the larger scale engine model) immediately above were entirely designed in CAD and 3D printed by Bill Cunningham, who I mentioned in the first post in this thread.

Every part (except plug wires and flexible hoses) is printed, including the tube frames and the wire wheels.

His body panels are only 1mm thick, and he's accomplishing things that "experts" have said couldn't be done.

He's also using relatively inexpensive printers, one of which can be had for around $150.

The photos, though very nice, simply do not do the models justice. They have to be seen up close to be fully appreciated...and they're almost beyond belief.

Yes! Those models were incredible! The photos don't do them justice.

And like I said. I want to know more about this.

• 4 months later...

I do envy you guys in the States where car modelling has devoted shows and clubs.

We had a dedicated auto modelling show named Automodellismo here in the UK but it only ran for about 3 years and sort of fizzled out about a couple of years before covid hit. It was a very small show in a village hall. The organisers were hoping it would grow, but attendance was generally poor.

Auto modelling is in itself very popular in the UK and modellers here tend to belong to local general model clubs and local IPMS meetings. There are a number of auto modelling groups within IPMS UK who display at IPMS UK Scalemodelworld Show at Telford every year, and judging by the diversity of models displayed the hobby is in good health over here. It's just that there seems to be no impetus to form a national auto modelling association.I

Considering that many cottage industry auto modelling kit manufacturers formed here it is surprising. I guess that there is just much more interest generally in auto modelling in the States to support dedicated clubs and shows.