Model Cars Magazine Forum

After having a great transaction with a fellow member, this huge squirrel slapped me up side the head and made me look. The results are this start.  

Chassis and engine are assembled and in the process of being primed. I actually (with the help of same member) lowered the chassis.  We will see how that turns out. Looking at a green and yellow for color combo. Other mods will be revealed as I figure them out. 😀

20211106_161330.jpg

20211107_115327.jpg

20211107_115334.jpg

20211104_103132.jpg

4 hours ago, Madd Trucker said:

you may  want to  remove the  dipstick and   flip it over it is  up  side  down  but   every thing so  far looks  good

Thanks for catching that. Funny how you can miss something like that when it's very late and all you want to do is get it assembled and go to bed. 😁

13 hours ago, '70 Grande said:

Looking good thus far. Just curious; what's the reason/motive for lowering the chassis, (overall look of the finished build)? 

Just an overall look. Hoping to get a more custom truck when finished. 

Thanks everyone for the positive comments. It really helps to stay motivated. I thought I had a partial can and full can of the yellow, it turned out to be two partial cans....soooooooo I  need to order a couple more cans. That is what happens when I think.

Here is the chassis in its coat of yellow. This will be the last update for a few days. Anniversary is this weekend,  so as they say, see you on the flip side.

20211112_171748.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like to look with the sleeper but it does make it look a little stubby.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, Sam I Am said:

I actually (with the help of same member) lowered the chassis.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:18 PM, TruckerAL said:

glad I was able to help you, and continue to help you!

Care to share, that would be some useful info!!

Following along.

Rog😁

On 11/25/2021 at 10:36 PM, wayne00 said:

Care to share, that would be some useful info!!

Following along.

Rog😁

Rog, 

I glued one front spring assembly in place,  then drew a center line on the frame down through the center of the axle mount. I then cut the spring loose from the shackles, cut about an 1/8 of an inch out of the shackles and glued the spring assembly back onto the shackles. Rinse and repeat for the other side. Did a similar process on the rear. 

Not as low as I would like, and not an accurate representation of actually lowering a truck. Just a simple way of achieving the look, and as they say, "baby steps".

The engine is now installed. For some reason the camera is not catching the difference in color from the frame, but it is.

So no sleeper.  I do want it to appear lowered, and that will help.

20211128_155855.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, I am not happy with how things are turning out, but will finish it nonetheless.  I couldn't figure out why my yellow chassis parts looked like I used three different color primers under them when I know I didn't.  Turns out that the third partial can of Tamiya yellow was slightly different.  So I ended up with the original yellow on some, blended yellows on some, and different yellow on others. Fortunately,  the cab, nose, and deck plates will be out of the same can. The green will be tied into the stripes on the cab.  I think I am done with yellow for a while...

20220117_183321.jpg

I feel a bit better now that I have the cab and nose mocked up (probably just the bourbon talking").  If anyone is good with making decals, let me know. After I get the green on the cab, I will need a bright yellow O and the words "QUACK ATTACK" 😉

20220117_203041.jpg

20220117_203013.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I feel a bit better now that I have the cab and nose mocked up (probably just the bourbon talking").  If anyone is good with making decals, let me know. After I get the green on the cab, I will need a bright yellow O and the words "QUACK ATTACK" 😉

Sam, After your generousity, I would be happy to make decals for you!

PM me

• 2 weeks later...