Model Cars Magazine Forum

1977 Ford Pinto by AMT

doorsovdoon

2 hours ago, espo said:

Well Gareth you get an A grade for creativity on this one.  

Thanks mate. I'm sure the simpler the kit, the more complicated I make it for myself!🤪

2 hours ago, jokar124 said:

I think you've  earned yourself a new nickname with this build, Gareth:  the "Artful Bodger" !! LOL

haha, that I can live with, I just hope I'm not known as "That guy with a twitch in his eye" after this build! xD

Huge improvements to that engine ! You even painted the separate bellhousing , too ! ( the C4 / 4 cylinder bellhousing is a rare and highly sought after piece ) . Those sidedraught Webers look perfect ! 

Nice addition to the captain's side , oi . Those separate pedals are a nice touch !

21 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Huge improvements to that engine ! You even painted the separate bellhousing , too ! ( the C4 / 4 cylinder bellhousing is a rare and highly sought after piece ) . Those sidedraught Webers look perfect ! 

Nice addition to the captain's side , oi . Those separate pedals are a nice touch !

Funny you say that about the C4 bellhousing. The Type 9 Sierra gearbox and bellhousing, also Ford, is very rare and sought after over here for five speed conversions on older cars. Ford are great at making parts that make other cars better! Lol

• Like 1

Thanks guys. The chassis on this is weird, it looks sort of ok and fits the body fine, but man does the engine sit low! Even with the bumper fitted you can see a lot of the engine hanging from underneath. I can't push it up as it's pretty much hitting the hood and the axle through engine prevents any adjustment anyway, so it is where it should be. I'm not going to do too much to the chassis as it seems to be all sorts of wrong. 

DSC01398.JPG

DSC01401.JPG

8 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Made a cross member, tie rods and steering rack. This is about as far as I'm going with this chassis, anymore work I might as well use a completely different chassis.

DSC01482.JPG

That’s cool that you added the rack. This way a key point of advertising for For in 1971. They compared it to Jaguar and BMW. So, this little addition is a great nod to the car’s history. 

2 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

That’s cool that you added the rack. This way a key point of advertising for For in 1971. They compared it to Jaguar and BMW. So, this little addition is a great nod to the car’s history. 

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, car manufactures made a lot of bold claims to big up an otherwise drab car back in the day. I have a Morris Marina, basically the UK version of the Pinto when it comes to "butt of all jokes" In the owners manual there's a section comparing the torsion bar suspension to that of the E Type Jaguar! lol

33 minutes ago, doorsovdoon said:

Thanks, Scott. Yeah, car manufactures made a lot of bold claims to big up an otherwise drab car back in the day. I have a Morris Marina, basically the UK version of the Pinto when it comes to "butt of all jokes" In the owners manual there's a section comparing the torsion bar suspension to that of the E Type Jaguar! lol

I know the car, the UK  equivalent to our Chevy Chevette. 

Tried my hand at hinging the hatch using a paper clip, a mod I learned from this forum, but the ones I've seen have a bit more meat on the part than what's on the Pintos hatch. The only way I could do it was drilling incredibly small holes in the hatch frame! The real car's hatch hinges from those tiny external nubs at the top but they are so tiny I don't think it would be possible to hinge it from those.

DSC01509.JPG

DSC01515.JPG

Edited by doorsovdoon