Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Jaguar XKEs Are Better?

I'm wanting to build the XKE roadster and FHC. One of my professors in college had a yellow FHC. I got a ride in it once. A thrill of a lifetime on par with a chance to drive a friends 427 Cobra replica once. So which XKEs are better, the Heller or the Revell?

To me there is no comparison: the new Revell kit is the best.  I have the coupe (unbuilt yet), but looking at the kit's parts, instructions, and decals, plus the online reviews, it is a winner.  The roadster is basically the same kit with a different body. 

If you're not worried about the shape being perfect, the Revell coupe, and the Revell roadster. If you want a coupe body that's correct, then the Heller, because the Revell coupe windscreen is too shallow, which makes it look slicker but isn't actually right. If you do decide on the Heller, then grab a copy of the Revell instructions or look at online reviews and chop up and reassemble the Heller kit parts until the body breakdown is the same as the Revell kit, because Revell have figured out how to engineer the coupe to hide all the seams when you put it together...

best,

M.

I just finished the Revell coupe and will get some pics up soon (no WIP pix, though). The parts breakdown is nice, the underhood detail is really good (if a little clunky around the front suspension) and it's a really decent kit. The tires are not great...I used RMCM Dunlop wheels and Tamiya tires. Getting the body over the interior and frame is a cheek-clenching process, but I'll take that over a big obvious seam any day. The chrome isn't great, but most parts are molded so attachment points are hidden. The decals are fantastic. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is on that decal sheet and things like the instrument decals have no carrier film to trim. The windshield height is noticeable if you're really familiar with these cars but not a deal breaker. I can't wait to build the roadster!

5 hours ago, Bainford said:

Read it again, Pete.

Ah, FHC.   Duh!  Got it.  I like the car, so I bought the kit, but not being a Jag expert I had not clue what FHC meant.  Well, now I get that the "C" must stand for "coupe". 

I have never seen the Heller kit in person, but looking at the online photos of built ones and of the parts, I think that overall the Revell is a better kit. Well, if you are willing to accept the windshield thing in FHC.  I'm not crazy about the Revell tires, but they are acceptable, and the wire wheels are much nicer than Heller's.  Of course you can likely use aftermarket wheels for the Heller kit.  Both kits seem pretty good, but neither one is perfect.  The bottom line is that it is up to you to choose which is least objectionable to you.

At the moment, I personally feel that the Heller E-type is better proportioned overall than the new Revell offering.

HOWEVER...this is not the result of any measuring on my part, but just a cursory look at both bodies in bare plastic, and photos of the models completed by competent builders.

HELLER model, below:

Building and upgrading the 1:24 Heller 1961 Jaguar E-type ...

REVELL model, below (retouched):

Revell Jaguar E-Type 1:24 - Scale Modelling Now

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Bill, posting those two bodies, I can see a MAJOR difference between two. I agree the Heller body definitely has the edge over the Revell Jag. I have the Heller kit and it's definitely on my to-do list to build in the not too distance future. I got Fernando Pinto's wire wheels to go with it..........very nice and it appears the wheels on your model look like his. 👍

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 8:56 PM, peteski said:

Ah, FHC.   Duh!  Got it.  I like the car, so I bought the kit, but not being a Jag expert I had not clue what FHC meant.  Well, now I get that the "C" must stand for "coupe". 

I have never seen the Heller kit in person, but looking at the online photos of built ones and of the parts, I think that overall the Revell is a better kit. Well, if you are willing to accept the windshield thing in FHC.  I'm not crazy about the Revell tires, but they are acceptable, and the wire wheels are much nicer than Heller's.  Of course you can likely use aftermarket wheels for the Heller kit.  Both kits seem pretty good, but neither one is perfect.  The bottom line is that it is up to you to choose which is least objectionable to you.

Hi Peter, these designations seem to be very British: FHC stands for "Fixed head coupe" whereas DHC means "Drophead coupe" which is nothing else than a roadster/Convertible - I saw these in several books of mine of post WW English sportscars, mainly Jaguars (XK120, XK140, XK150, E-Type).

Heller confuses matters still further: back in the day, their 1/24 E Types were the FHC, "Racing" and "OTS". The Fixed Head Coupe is as discussed. The "Racing" is a convertible with a factory hardtop and Dunlop racing wheels, so adaptable to represent some Lightweight E-type originals, especially if you're prepared to beef up the rear wheels/arches a bit. The OTS stands for an "open two-seater", which is actually not something that existed in the E-type range. You'll see it describing XK120s especially, where it refers to an open car with two seats, but without a foldable, retracting hood and storage for it. Nowadays, Heller has reissued its three boxes as the FHC, Racing and Cabriolet, which makes more sense to all of us!

best,

M.

11 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Hi Peter, these designations seem to be very British: FHC stands for "Fixed head coupe" whereas DHC means "Drophead coupe" which is nothing else than a roadster/Convertible...

To muddy the waters even further, a "roadster" in some circles is defined as an open car with a removable windscreen frame and side-curtains, whereas a "convertible" is often equated with a "drophead coupe" or a "cabriolet", which is an open car with a welded-on, fixed windscreen frame, having more civilized roll-up windows.

The Porsche 356 Speedster is a true "roadster" from that perspective, having an easily removed windscreen assembly to facilitate racing, and side curtains. 

Same for the Jag XK 120 roadster...and the '32 Ford roadster.

But the Jag 120 DHC, the Porsche 356 cabriolet...and the '32 Ford cabriolet...have welded-on, integral windscreen frames and roll-up side windows.

Somewhere between is the '32 Ford "sport coupe" that has a soft top, a welded on w/s frame, and doors with steel window frames.

The Porsche 356 "convertible D" is another tweeny, having a bolted-on windscreen assembly, and roll-up side windows.

Confused yet?

On 1/4/2022 at 12:32 AM, Miatatom said:

Well, I was in Hobby Lobby and saw this, so I sprang for it. I'm going to try to paint it in the original 1965 Jaguar pale yellow. We'll see how it turns out.

XKE.jpg

Seen this kit at michaels and seen it was molded in red and instantly put it back on the shelf lol