Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clear coating question

Hi all,

I've recently started using 2K clear from Zero Paints with pretty good results. I've been putting the clear coat on after paint and before chrome foil, painting window trim and panel accent lines. However, now I'm thinking of putting the clear on after the chrome foil etc. Has anyone tried doing it this way round?

A question I have regarding putting the bare metal foil on before the clear coat is whether there is a risk of damaging the foil when polishing the clear coat.  Would you run the risk of ripping up the foil in the process of polishing and buffing?  Also, what about using a Molotow chrome pen for window trim and panel details?  If the Molotow was done before the clear coat, I think it would be protected and not damaged during polishing.  Thanks for your comments. 

30 minutes ago, Vito321 said:

A question I have regarding putting the bare metal foil on before the clear coat is whether there is a risk of damaging the foil when polishing the clear coat.  Would you run the risk of ripping up the foil in the process of polishing and buffing?  Also, what about using a Molotow chrome pen for window trim and panel details?  If the Molotow was done before the clear coat, I think it would be protected and not damaged during polishing.  Thanks for your comments. 

Hey Mark!

I think you'd need to ensure you have enough clear coat on there that you CAN polish it out without risking 'burning through' to the foil...otherwise you'd also risk burning through the color coat to the primer / bare plastic too.  

As for Molotow, I haven't seen a good solution to clear coating over it where it doesn't lose at least SOME of it's 'chrome-y-ness' - so PERSONALLY I'd avoid clearing over the top of it at all if possible. 

On 11/11/2021 at 11:41 AM, TransAmMike said:

Yep, my process is clear, polish then foil. I have recently, due to the lousy sticking of the new foil, brush on a light coat of Future over the foil to seal it on. My 2 cents.😀

Have you tried using BMF adhesive on the area where the foil will go? I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.  I'm thinking scribing around the area to deep the area where the foil sits in and using the adhesive would make it stick better.

5 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Have you tried using BMF adhesive on the area where the foil will go? I have a bottle, but haven't tried it yet.  I'm thinking scribing around the area to deep the area where the foil sits in and using the adhesive would make it stick better.

Have not tried the adhesive. Just wonder if it would make a mess that would have to be cleaned up after. Let is all know when you use it.

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

You mean put it on the model instead of on the foil? Not a good idea in my opinion, and I've been working with Micro Metal Foil Adhesive for years. Would be VERY difficult to get it on evenly where you want it. (Not too bad getting an even coat on regular aluminum foil, on the other hand.) 

The adhesive on heat duct foil is great. But it ( the foil) might be too thick for finer details. Some of you guys foil work amazes me, side trim and bigger pieces is my limit then I go to Molotow. Or might do the whole thing in Molotow.

Edited by Dave G.

19 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You mean put it on the model instead of on the foil? Not a good idea in my opinion, and I've been working with Micro Metal Foil Adhesive for years. Would be VERY difficult to get it on evenly where you want it. (Not too bad getting an even coat on regular aluminum foil, on the other hand.) 

So it would be easier to put it on the BMF itself?

1 hour ago, Dpate said:

So it would be easier to put it on the BMF itself?

BMF shouldn't need it. It's made to be used on common household foil. BMF should have adhesive on it. If it doesn't, it's defective. (That's also not unknown, which is one reason I stopped buying the stuff.) 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:22 PM, Snake45 said:

BMF shouldn't need it. It's made to be used on common household foil. BMF should have adhesive on it. If it doesn't, it's defective. (That's also not unknown, which is one reason I stopped buying the stuff.) 

Well it does, but its been a issue with BMF not wanting to stick that great.  Reason i thought the glue itself would of been a good idea reason i had grabbed a bottle of it at the shop.   Never tried actual kitchen foil though.

14 hours ago, Dpate said:

Never tried actual kitchen foil though.

If you want to, get the cheap, no-name stuff or Walmart brand. It's thinner than the name brands and works better. Also, scuff up the backside of the foil with Scotchbrite or similar, or the adhesive will bead up from surface tension. 

Cheap homemade foil won't do everything that BMF will (if you get a sheet that actually works), but it'll do at least 90%, including the most common stuff like window trim, rocker trim, etc.