Model Cars Magazine Forum

Airfix 1/16 Cobra

kpnuts

Hi all i won this on ebay, its an ex MPC kit first thing the instructions are next to useless , on the first page it tells you the colours for airfix paints but there is not one point in the instructions where that colour call out is used ( as you all know I had no intention of building this as should be anyway) but if you wanted to, well, , hard cheese, 

So heres the box art 

IMG-8925.jpg

I'm thinking of a fade paint job either blue to white or blue to red not decided yet.

Anyway a start on the engine, it's not a bad kit detail wise.

IMG-8932.jpg
IMG-8935.jpg
IMG-8933.jpg
IMG-8931.jpg
IMG-8930.jpg
IMG-8929.jpg

Either this must be huge or the Ferrari 312t must be tiny as this is 1/16 whereas the Ferrari is 1/12 

IMG-8926.jpg

Bit more done to this started adding a bit of detail to the engine (I don't know much about these engines and can't find many useful pics of throttle linkages and such)

IMG-8980.jpg

IMG-8983.jpg
IMG-8982.jpg
IMG-8981.jpg

Those air filters are just placed there.

This is the main colour I've gone for.

IMG-8944.jpg
IMG-8943.jpg
IMG-8942.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all more work on the Cobra.

IMG-9621.jpg
IMG-9620.jpg
IMG-9619.jpg

I decided to ditch the carbs (too much wrong with them )

The kit comes with fuel injection as an option I thought I would go with that, tbh a don't know which is worse, still I'm stuck with it now, hopefully I can improve on what the kit supplied (still won't be anything like accurate but maybe look interesting.

IMG-9630.jpg

On 1/9/2022 at 3:16 PM, kpnuts said:

Hi all more work on the Cobra.

IMG-9621.jpg
IMG-9620.jpg
IMG-9619.jpg

I decided to ditch the carbs (too much wrong with them )

The kit comes with fuel injection as an option I thought I would go with that, tbh a don't know which is worse, still I'm stuck with it now, hopefully I can improve on what the kit supplied (still won't be anything like accurate but maybe look interesting.

IMG-9630.jpg

I didn't like the way they had the dual quad setup done. After looking at reference photos I noticed that the carbs were oriented the wrong way. The bowls should be front to back, not side to side. Had to modify them a bit to fit that way. It still looked pretty sparse so I did a fuel rail and made the vacuum canisters for each of the carbs. Made up some linkage and a return spring. Put a piece of wire for the air cleaner studs and made "wing nuts" to top off the air cleaners.

Overall this kit is a nice kit. Kind of fiddly. I did one when I was a kid (I still have it) and thought I'd like to do another one. It's about 85% done. Stalled on it again because of the extra details I've been doing to it. Maybe I need to post it on here to re-inspire me to get back to it.

Keep up the good work!

DSC09472.JPG

DSC09501.JPG

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...