Model Cars Magazine Forum

400+ images from NNL Motor City, with all model builders identified....

tim boyd

On 11/16/2021 at 8:30 AM, GLMFAA1 said:

Thanks for the pictures, Miss the NNL in Toledo😢. Was there anything there that was red and had flashy lights?

greg

Greg....not that I specifically recall in red...but there was a uni-mog(sp?) type vehicle with flashing lights that was a real eye catcher, and IIRC, exceptionally well detailed.  It may have been built by the same guy (from Plymouth, Michigan) who did those awesome detailed Class 8 Diesel truck engines....(need to do some checking on that). 

I do think the word will spread and we will see more of the traditional NNL Nats exhibitors showing their models at this show as the years go forward....hopefully some with red paint and flashing lights, too!    

TIM 

On 11/16/2021 at 12:10 PM, steveracer said:

How many models were entered?  Were there any more trucks or Heavy Equipment?

Steve..I don''t know the model count; if forced to guess I would say maybe 400 or so.  It was not the size of the old NNL Nats, and probably not much bigger than the most recent prior NNL Motor City in 2019, but the overall quality of the models, and the number of outstate entrants, showed a major jump in my judgment.   My take is that it is a show on the move, and likely to grow much bigger over the next couple of years....

There were a few more trucks than I photographed.  Many were by the same builders that were shown in my photo album.  Heavy trucks are difficult to photograph sometimes when they are arranged in rows like 1/1 scale truck stops.  But I'll try to be a bit more inconclusive next time I photograph a show.  Appreciate your question....TIM  

Hi Tim!  Thanks for your as always excellent coverage of one of the best model car events of the year!  I continue to be amazed at the outstanding quality that has come along in recent years.  I only returned to the hobby about four years ago, and what I see is very inspiring indeed.  Shows like h this one, the ACME Southern Nats show, and the Eastern Nats show, and others certainly don’t disappoint.  There is undoubtedly also a sizable number of very impressive builds as a result of the COVID imposed shut ins that have or will come out to be seen recently and in the near future.  I also look forward to seeing our northern borders opened up so that our Canadian friends can once again participate.  I know for certain that there are quite a few very high quality builds by masterful artists, just aching to step into the light.  Fun times!   

We had about 420 entries in the NNL. That's about what we get most of the time. Yes, we'd like to  get at least as big as the old Toledo show. It can be done but  it takes participation from the modelling community in the region and maybe beyond. We don't have as large a  nearby population base to draw from as NNL East or even the Milwaukee NNL does so we depend on modelers travelling to our show to make it grow.

On 11/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, ZTony8 said:

We had about 420 entries in the NNL. That's about what we get most of the time. Yes, we'd like to  get at least as big as the old Toledo show. It can be done but  it takes participation from the modelling community in the region and maybe beyond. We don't have as large a  nearby population base to draw from as NNL East or even the Milwaukee NNL does so we depend on modelers travelling to our show to make it grow.

Tony.....you guys are headed in the right direction.  Just keep doing what you are doing....word will get around. 

On the model tables I saw a great deal of entries from Ohio, some from Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and even Oklahoma (Fonzell Brown, an immensely talented builder of street machines and street rods). 

Best wishes for next year's event....TIM  

Thank you for posting the link and Pictures Tim. 

I think there could have been a few more tables for the show but you can never know how many models are going to show up. You can't move them around once they are there. So I get it. 

All and All it was a  great show and it hurt my wallet to go there. The vender area was awesome and we were not standing on top of one another to shop.  

On 11/21/2021 at 2:55 PM, 1930fordpickup said:

Thank you for posting the link and Pictures Tim. 

I think there could have been a few more tables for the show but you can never know how many models are going to show up. You can't move them around once they are there. So I get it. 

All and All it was a  great show and it hurt my wallet to go there. The vender area was awesome and we were not standing on top of one another to shop.  

We'll do some tweaking  of the tables for the spring show's judged contest. This NNL was the first time for the new layout.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Eric Macleod said:

This looks like a great show. As I live in Michigan it was a pleasant surprise to learn of an event so close by. I'm hoping to hear about it in time to attend next year.

Our next show is March 27th, 2022 .  I'm surprised that you hadn't heard of our show before this.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2021 at 6:00 AM, alan barton said:

That was a treat to look at Tim!  Did you know Moonwind was going to be there?  That would have been the highlight of the show for me - I must have read Hank Borger's article a hundred times!

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan...glad you enjoyed it. 

I was as surprised about Moon Wind as you were.  I've seen some of Hank's other models at various times over the last 35 years or so, but never Moon Wind.  I guess I had concluded that it was lost in Hank's garage fire back in the day.  Not only to see it, but to see it in such a pristine condition was a total shock.  I gotta say, I was even more impressed with the model in person than it appeared in photographs Ias we all know, the opposite tends to be the most common experience!)   

What. A. Talent.   

Last time I talked to Hank was almost two years ago now....hope his is OK.   

Best....TIM