Model Cars Magazine Forum

'30 Ford Model A Coupe

mrmike

Thanks Bob!

I got the tires assembled, but the whitewalls don't go all the way to the inner edge of the tire by the wheel.  I may have to paint this with some flat white or use my white Gelly Roll pen as I had used on the front tires. I fired up the paintbooth and I painted the engine and the dash panel with Tamiya TS-23 Light Blue.

More Model A to come...

30A10.JPG

30A11.JPG

30A12.JPG

Looking fantastic so far. I am going to follow closely, because I'm working on the same kit. 

I have not build anything in over a year, because I had a lot on my plate to deal with. And I mean A LOT. So to get myself out of my current case of "builder's block", I bought two of these kits and I intend to build both box stock. Kind of fun quick build, back to basics. I am going to attempt to give one of the builds some attitude, simply with paint and choice of the optional parts and the other will be basically what you are building - the box art model, with the only exception that I went with a slightly different shade for the color. 

What I noticed on my kits was, that the first had a little bit warped frame, which would get mostly corrected once the floor and suspension are glued. The second kit tho has a frame that is absolutely useless and impossible to get back into shape. Overall, this reissue of the kit is considerably poorer quality than the first one. And altho the '32 grille is included in the kit, there is absolutely no mention of it anywhere in the instructions or on the box art. This is not much of an issue with any experienced modeler, but will create issues if you try to enter this model built with the Deuce grille in the Box Stock class of any contest. The cool mag wheels are also missing from the kit, which is a bummer. 

Thanks Michael and Stephen!

Michael, like any kit that I have built over the years, this one has issues like any other.  Even the excellent Tamiya kits have a few small issues, but not like Revell or AMT/MPC kits.  I have noticed that new Revell of Germany kits are getting better with their mold technology, but reissues do leave out the mention of some parts and decals.  We as modelers can swap parts and pieces and allow them to fit or we can make them fit.  

I have finished assembloing the wheels and tires, but I am undecided about what to do with the gap between the whitewall and the wheel.  The interior sides are in, but they could use a little detailing.  I also painted the interior roof white.  Then I wired the engine and once the body and interior has been added, I'll add the ignition coil.

More Model A to come...

30A13.JPG

30A14.JPG

30A15.JPG

30A16.JPG

30A17.JPG

30A18.JPG