Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT '65 Chevy Nova "Twister" AWB Funny Car

Casey

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Find it strange they did not include vinyl tires like they have in many kits with plastic tires.

Me, too. It's not as if they have to create unique tyres for this kit (!!). Surely, the plastic tyres can be made to look good (Tamiya Rubber:Black aerosol is perfect), but still... 

• Like 1

Seems Round2 has spoiled us. We are disappointed if every reissue doesn't include new or pad-printed tires, decals, colored glazing options, retooled parts and additional goodies. I know I am guilty.

The kit can still be enjoyed and acceptedly completed out of the box by the novice, casual builder, or just for fun.

I'm sure that whether to add options/value to try and increase sell-through is a choice Round2 considers for their business plan. Surely they need kits to just clean up and release as are.

They are bound to lose some sells to those who need an enticement to make a purchase. I have been there also. 

However others who do not have the kit, or need it for a project will purchase it. Perhaps sometimes we can be satisfied to have the kit available, and supplement it with our imagination and choice of external parts. As most of us are likely to do anyway. 

2 hours ago, GarryR said:

Seems Round2 has spoiled us. We are disappointed if every reissue doesn't include new or pad-printed tires, decals, colored glazing options, retooled parts and additional goodies. I know I am guilty.

The kit can still be enjoyed and acceptedly completed out of the box by the novice, casual builder, or just for fun.

I'm sure that whether to add options/value to try and increase sell-through is a choice Round2 considers for their business plan. Surely they need kits to just clean up and release as are.

They are bound to lose some sells to those who need an enticement to make a purchase. I have been there also. 

However others who do not have the kit, or need it for a project will purchase it. Perhaps sometimes we can be satisfied to have the kit available, and supplement it with our imagination and choice of external parts. As most of us are likely to do anyway. 

If Aoshima can give us photoetch badges, multiple wheel options, and die-cut window masks in a sub-$40 reissue of a 30 year old kit then Round 2 can be expected to offer similarly competitive products. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

Makes sense to release this kit since the Chevy II wagons are out there now. How long til the drag combo is released?

AMT%20T357-300%20IndyDragVG+.JPG

They'd be fools if they didn't offer that. The Willys with chevy truck and trailer in the back ground as well. 

4 hours ago, Justin Porter said:

If Aoshima can give us photoetch badges, multiple wheel options, and die-cut window masks in a sub-$40 reissue of a 30 year old kit then Round 2 can be expected to offer similarly competitive products. 

To be fair though the P/E badges, multiple wheel options, and all the other random extra parts have been in those kits since they were tooled up 30+ years ago, the only thing that's being added is the window masks and maybe aluminum license plate blanks in the most current reissues.

2 minutes ago, alexis said:

No, I think he means the Chevy Pickup and Willys Team.

Yah but they have the tool for it, I'd offer all the combos they could, why not.....right? I would use my box art to test the waters for future releases. The back grounds could be used for so much more.     

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alexis said:

Yah, but our point is kinda that when that Chevy box art was painted, the Chevy Pickup was 30/40 years in the future.

Right I'm aware of that but now it would be very easy to offer something like that and it would sell and sell well IMHO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wrenchr said:

Right I'm aware of that but now it would be very easy to offer something like that and it would sell and sell well IMHO. 

I think the AMT '53 Ford pickup/Shelby 289 Cobra kit sold well, but the Piranha double kit appears to have been a huge dud. Granted, it's two very unique, oddball vehicles packaged together, so maybe apples-to-oranges? Hopefully the Cal Drag Combo is selling well, and Round2 has the '53 Ford Pickup/Mod Socker Hauler combo in the works, so it might be possible.

12 hours ago, Sledsel said:

Why not this combo? amtshelbydragteam2-vi.jpg

That Galaxie is long gone, as mentioned by John G of Round2, and I think it was mentioned somewhere several of the unique bits for the GT500 have been lost, too-- the blistered hood for sure. It wouldn't be terribly difficult for Round2 to substitute another full-sized Ford car or truck to pull it, though, and re-tool some of the Mustang's missing parts, however.

• Like 1