Model Cars Magazine Forum

My take on the ‘57 Chevy Gasser

FLHCAHZ

There are some really nice builds of this kit happening now, they both are looking great

I got this kit for my birthday from my wife and am pretty excited about it.  Although a basic kit, I am having fun with it.  I usually start by doing the body, but thought I’d switch it up this time and started with the engine. I am going to use as much craft paint on this as I can

Here is the paint I am using for the body colorC5531027-B0BA-479A-BD3F-F95C0627D7D5.jpeg.1127d81105d64e2ee35bde2dc0729326.jpeg

I mix it about 50/50 with windshield washer fluid.  Here is an idea of the color on the floorboard and firewall

713F3E0F-52D9-4A58-B09F-93CAE87DB83F.jpeg.4718edbbe9440bfbe4158ef0c24cb912.jpeg

Looking at the engine, I really wanted to do something different from how I would normally approach it.  After experimenting on some scrap chrome I decided to darken the chrome and give it a purplish hue.  I think it turned out OK

4EB01614-7063-4B39-BDAF-7DC367A20DA2.jpeg.bdf409c8fe0850ae9d1a8ed2a5aaa10e.jpeg

After looking at it, I think yellow wires would have looked better

I am slowly getting the chassis together 

31E6D3AB-01F0-4C51-848E-7654F2816EE4.jpeg.77bb9b0f6e1a8c04ee3c6f96d00f656d.jpeg

I darkened the chrome on the wheel edges and centers to match  the engine 

8849034A-D22E-4ABD-B0D2-BB361AC7B913.jpeg.ce7aa3abbd8966cd62bd72be8705a41f.jpeg

Thanks for looking!  Any comments are welcome.

• Like 1

Looks great Chaz. Love the color, and I like what you did with the engine. That hue on the headers makes them look like they have been run. The chrome pipes on my Vulcan 1500 turned that color after some miles on them. Did you wire the kit distributor? I was going to try that, but couldn't find any wire that would work. 

9 hours ago, bluestringer said:

Looks great Chaz. Love the color, and I like what you did with the engine. That hue on the headers makes them look like they have been run. The chrome pipes on my Vulcan 1500 turned that color after some miles on them. Did you wire the kit distributor? I was going to try that, but couldn't find any wire that would work. 

Thanks James!  I did not wire the kit distributor, I buy them already wired.  I once wired a 1/16 scale and that was hard, I cant imagine trying a 1/25 scale.  Are you a guitar player?  

11 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

There are some really nice builds of this kit happening now, they both are looking great

I got this kit for my birthday from my wife and am pretty excited about it.  Although a basic kit, I am having fun with it.  I usually start by doing the body, but thought I’d switch it up this time and started with the engine. I am going to use as much craft paint on this as I can

Here is the paint I am using for the body colorC5531027-B0BA-479A-BD3F-F95C0627D7D5.jpeg.1127d81105d64e2ee35bde2dc0729326.jpeg

I mix it about 50/50 with windshield washer fluid.  Here is an idea of the color on the floorboard and firewall

713F3E0F-52D9-4A58-B09F-93CAE87DB83F.jpeg.4718edbbe9440bfbe4158ef0c24cb912.jpeg

Looking at the engine, I really wanted to do something different from how I would normally approach it.  After experimenting on some scrap chrome I decided to darken the chrome and give it a purplish hue.  I think it turned out OK

4EB01614-7063-4B39-BDAF-7DC367A20DA2.jpeg.bdf409c8fe0850ae9d1a8ed2a5aaa10e.jpeg

After looking at it, I think yellow wires would have looked better

I am slowly getting the chassis together 

31E6D3AB-01F0-4C51-848E-7654F2816EE4.jpeg.77bb9b0f6e1a8c04ee3c6f96d00f656d.jpeg

I darkened the chrome on the wheel edges and centers to match  the engine 

8849034A-D22E-4ABD-B0D2-BB361AC7B913.jpeg.ce7aa3abbd8966cd62bd72be8705a41f.jpeg

Thanks for looking!  Any comments are welcome.

When I airbrush craft paints I use Windex thinned at 50/50.  In my opinon I couldn't see any difference in using water, Windex, or windshield washer fluid when I did all my testing months back.  Maybe I just don't have the eye for seeing the difference.  Yours looks pretty nice and I like that color.

Just now, Zippi said:

When I airbrush craft paints I use Windex thinned at 50/50.  In my opinon I couldn't see any difference in using water, Windex, or windshield washer fluid when I did all my testing months back.  Maybe I just don't have the eye for seeing the difference.  Yours looks pretty nice and I like that color.

Thanks.  I learned from a YouTube video about using the windshield washer fluid.  Its cheap, I've never tried anything else.  

3 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Thanks.  I learned from a YouTube video about using the windshield washer fluid.  Its cheap, I've never tried anything else.  

I recently tried for the second time (first time things went sideways) airbrushing Testers (little bottles) enamel paint mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner.  Man what a difference over arcylics.  It's my go to paint process for now.

50 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Thanks James!  I did not wire the kit distributor, I buy them already wired.  I once wired a 1/16 scale and that was hard, I cant imagine trying a 1/25 scale.  Are you a guitar player?  

I try to play a little. Have a couple of Strats, and a Epiphone Les Paul. My wife says I just make noise. I like blues and southern rock, The Allman Brothers being my favorite band. 

Just now, bluestringer said:

I try to play a little. Have a couple of Strats, and a Epiphone Les Paul. My wife says I just make noise. I like blues and southern rock, The Allman Brothers being my favorite band. 

Sounds like we like that same music.  I have been playing for about 25 years.   

2 minutes ago, Zippi said:

I recently tried for the second time (first time things went sideways) airbrushing Testers (little bottles) enamel paint mixed 50/50 with lacquer thinner.  Man what a difference over arcylics.  It's my go to paint process for now.

Over the winter, I may build a spray booth for the Basement.  Until then, no stinky paints.   

1 minute ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Over the winter, I may build a spray booth for the Basement.  Until then, no stinky paints.   

Yeah I know what ya mean.  I had thought about a paint booth for the garage but my garage is like my second home and we keep and 49 Chevy Truck Restomod there as well.  I painted a few bodies early on so I would have something over the winter to work on.  

Just now, Zippi said:

Yeah I know what ya mean.  I had thought about a paint booth for the garage but my garage is like my second home and we keep and 49 Chevy Truck Restomod there as well.  I painted a few bodies early on so I would have something over the winter to work on.  

I've seen the pics of your truck It is very nice.  I don't have a garage attached to the house.  I have a shop out back what I keep my Harley's another small once, that I keep my lawn tractor and lawn tools in. Neither is climate controlled though.

3 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

I've seen the pics of your truck It is very nice.  I don't have a garage attached to the house.  I have a shop out back what I keep my Harley's another small once, that I keep my lawn tractor and lawn tools in. Neither is climate controlled though.

Thanks for the comment about my 49.  Always wanted a Harley.  So....what are you using for clear gloss on the craft paint?

9 minutes ago, Zippi said:

Thanks for the comment about my 49.  Always wanted a Harley.  So....what are you using for clear gloss on the craft paint?

I use the original future.  I still have enough left for a couple models, then I'll see what will be next.   

6 minutes ago, FLHCAHZ said:

I use the original future.  I still have enough left for a couple models, then I'll see what will be next.   

I have been using Rust-Oleum 2X acrylic lacquer.  Works really well and it can be wet sanded.

5 hours ago, bluestringer said:
5 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Sounds like we like that same music.  I have been playing for about 25 years.   

Since you guys' are on the subject, I thought I'd chime in too. I don't play guitar but I am a former R&R musician. My Daughter is a self taught guitar player and has several guitars. A John Mayer strat, Epiphone Les Paul. Anyway, I as a great guitar player fan, EC, John Mayer and Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule and Almand Bros) are my absolute favorites.

Get some Liquitex or Createx Balancing Clear to add to your craft paint. Makes it flow a bit better and smoother. Both available at HL.

• Like 1

I've got more guitars than I know what to do with.  I've been buying, selling, and collecting for a long time.  The kids will have to sell the guitars and Harleys off when I'm gone. I have mostly Gibson and some fenders.  I like to build guitars too.  Lots of Marshall amps as well.    

1 hour ago, FLHCAHZ said:

I've got more guitars than I know what to do with.  I've been buying, selling, and collecting for a long time.  The kids will have to sell the guitars and Harleys off when I'm gone. I have mostly Gibson and some fenders.  I like to build guitars too.  Lots of Marshall amps as well.    

I've had a couple of Marshalls in the past but sold them. I just sold a couple of Fender amps a couple of months ago. I only have 2 Fender amps now. I have got into playing through a multi effects pedal and hardly use the amps anymore. The pedals are great at emulating different amps and effects. I'm not into actually building guitars, but I have swapped parts like necks and pickups chasing that illusive tone guitar players are always searching for. I have a couple of Fender Strats and a couple that are not quite complete. Also have the Les Paul which is what I mostly play now. Also have a Takamine acoustic. 

46 minutes ago, bluestringer said:

I've had a couple of Marshalls in the past but sold them. I just sold a couple of Fender amps a couple of months ago. I only have 2 Fender amps now. I have got into playing through a multi effects pedal and hardly use the amps anymore. The pedals are great at emulating different amps and effects. I'm not into actually building guitars, but I have swapped parts like necks and pickups chasing that illusive tone guitar players are always searching for. I have a couple of Fender Strats and a couple that are not quite complete. Also have the Les Paul which is what I mostly play now. Also have a Takamine acoustic. 

Very Cool!  I mostly use a Marshall Code 50 modeling amp right now.  Just like the pedals, you can get any sound you want, and can control everything from your phone or tablet.  Nothing beats a real deal Marshall stack though

• Like 1