Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Monogram 1970 Ford Torino GT

youpey

This has been a doozy so far.  Firstly, i sanded out the little fake vents that were molded into the side. Most of the pictures i found online dont have them, so maybe it was an option. I dont know, but it looked way too small for such a big body

Anyway, i had primed the kit and painted it tamiya ts 56, brilliant orange. I thought it was really close to the grabber orange, but it looked more like a yellow cab.

I had also tried to black wash the door gaps but it looked horrible and i messed up the paint by doing it.

A quick run to walmart for some easy off oven cleaner and a 4 pack of tooth brushes. i cleaned off the paint and filled the part of the plastic i screwed up

Next i primed the whole body again, only to realize i had a crack in the hood tip.  I fixed that and resprayed it, fixed the dist i got in it and one last spray. 

The hood has a small spot where it cracked, but its hard to see unless you know its there. the spot i mssed up the plastic on the trunk is also very hard to see.

Unfortunately this kit has gotten too expensive to buy a backup for these types of issues, so spending 4 hours fixing a tiny flaw is where im at.

I need to decide on a new color because the orange i have is not right. I am limiting it to colors i have in mt stash, just not blue because my last few builds have been blue. Im thinking maybe a color close to Wimbledon white 

Not much to look at right now, but this body has had more fixes and refixes than any of my other builds

20211118_152252.jpg

Edited by youpey
  • Like 1

i looked through my paint stash, which is getting low. i have only a deep metallic blue and racing white. 

the racing white is very close to wimbeldon white, and the deep metallic blue is closer to a purplish black more than blue i think. i am leaning towards the white because this kit has the hidden headlights, so i am going to fully black out the grill. i think that will look great with white. 

I tested on a spoon with the gray primer. Even with 2 coats, the gray is too dark for the white. 

I really want the white, so im going to do a very thin coat of white primer.

I needed to use the gray because there was still some orange tinting and left over paint in some areas i could not get off when i stripped it.  The details are a bit thin, so hopefully a thin coat of white priner wont be too bad

34 minutes ago, youpey said:

I tested on a spoon with the gray primer. Even with 2 coats, the gray is too dark for the white. 

I really want the white, so im going to do a very thin coat of white primer.

I needed to use the gray because there was still some orange tinting and left over paint in some areas i could not get off when i stripped it.  The details are a bit thin, so hopefully a thin coat of white priner wont be too bad

I found that out too, tried gray primer under white and it made the white look kind of dingy , even after 2 coats. You may be onto something with a thing coat of white primer.

Yeah, Tamiya Racing White is close enough to Wimbledon White for government work. Yes, use white primer under white paint.

If you are talking about the molding at the rear of the Laser stripe like in Keef's pic, that is a GT item. Cobras didn't have them. Maybe that is why you saw some with and some without?

This is my favorite Torino, 1970. Your paint looks great to me, I'm definitely following this one. Back in 1989 I had a 1970 Fairlane 500 which was basically a Torino with different chrome. It was white with a black vinyl top, 351w with a 3 speed on the floor. One of the fastest cars I've owned, you had to slip the clutch to get it going, it was high geared but you could get almost 100mph out of 2nd. Thanks for the memories!!!

I messed up the glass by getting glue on it. I tried to fix it and cracked the glass in the windshield. 

Thankfully I had thin clear plastic from my wife's Christmas ornaments box. I cut it to shape and glued it in. 

Its not 100% perfect but looks good considering. There is a small gap under the top, i think i would have needed a heat gun to shape it better.

Im not going to fret over this because my only other option would be to buy another kit for the glass.

20211120_211444.jpg

Edited by youpey

This one is finished. It really tried my patience but because of my love for the subject I made sure i finished the best i could.

It looks like the kit was missing the upper hose, but im not going to fret. Im really happy how it is.

I didnt put the photo etch on the taillights or the gt logo grill because I like it better without. I normally don't do anything like that, as i try to build as close to stock as possible, but on this i built it how i would like it. 

Thank everyone for the nice comments along the way, i really appreciate it 

Edit: i forgot to put on the door handles. Haha

20211122_085809.jpg

20211122_085814.jpg

20211122_085837.jpg

20211122_085843.jpg

20211122_085904.jpg

20211122_091104.jpg

Edited by youpey
  • Like 1