Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2022

dbostream

What I'm missing on that new release list is the re-worked Rat Roaster, with the new interior and Duval windshield.....Maybe second half of '22?

Odd also that this year Revell didn't sent a for "22 new releases newsletter, guess we'll. have to wait 'till Nürnberg toy show, if it's still a go with the coming and going of Covit variants.....

Cheers

Luc

5 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

What I'm missing on that new release list is the re-worked Rat Roaster, with the new interior and Duval windshield.....Maybe second half of '22?

Yes, likely not far enough along at this point to release anything publicly. I was a bit surprised, but pleased, to see printouts of the 3D renderings James shared here in August from the Vegas show.

Good stuff coming in 2022 from Revell.

3 minutes ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Is the new Olds in 1:25 or 1:24? Apologies in advance if that question has already been answered.

1/25, and should be mostly the same as the previous '72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible kit(s).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, Fat Brian said:

Just to confirm about whether the 71 Olds is a fastback or formal top here is a picture of the fastback test shot posted by James (niteowl7710) in a thread he started.

20210819_095435.thumb.jpg.4a57bb329dfc001a9d9ed08131c008fa.jpg.5414ee967371d26aeca75caba9d89649.jpg

I thought they woulda given us a Supreme or SX using the convertible quarters and the more formal roofline. 

"Sigh", guess I'll have to do one myself someday. 

Maybe they can make it as an add on option to the convertible kit in the future. 

9 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I thought they woulda given us a Supreme or SX using the convertible quarters and the more formal roofline. 

"Sigh", guess I'll have to do one myself someday. 

Maybe they can make it as an add on option to the convertible kit in the future. 

I agree that it seems like less work to have made a formal top but I guess they figured there were more variations of a sportsroof they could offer.

2 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I agree that it seems like less work to have made a formal top but I guess they figured there were more variations of a sportsroof they could offer.

I agree as well, making the convertible into the formal top seems like it would have been much simpler, although I will not complain one bit about having a sportsroof to choose from. I need a formal roof to replicate my first car, a 1972 Cutlass Supreme, so that would have been fantastic for me. The only other variation of the sportsroof they could really do would be the Rallye 350, which I believe was a '70 only option, and would seemingly only be a decal change/addition. I have always been partial to both body styles anyways, so I'm probably in for 2 or 3 when they do come out.

1 hour ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I agree as well, making the convertible into the formal top seems like it would have been much simpler, although I will not complain one bit about having a sportsroof to choose from. I need a formal roof to replicate my first car, a 1972 Cutlass Supreme, so that would have been fantastic for me. The only other variation of the sportsroof they could really do would be the Rallye 350, which I believe was a '70 only option, and would seemingly only be a decal change/addition. I have always been partial to both body styles anyways, so I'm probably in for 2 or 3 when they do come out.

I don't care for the sportsroof body so I'm probably not going to get one of these. Honestly, I don't really like any GM car on this platform between 68 and 72 with the only exceptions being the 70 Buick GS and the formal top Cutlasses.

• Like 1

Guys you have to remember this "conversion" to a 1971 442 is being done in the here and now in the 2021.  There was no coupe body done with this tooling when it came out in 2009, so this is a brand-new tooling for the body shell, glass and interior parts.  It's not a matter of what would be "easier" to make out of the convertible body shell, since that isn't involved here.  The only thing carrying over from the Convertible is the chassis, engine & drivetrain, and maybe some of the chrome since they finally made a 442 grille with the Indy Car version that came out last - albeit I'm not totally up on the precise minute changes between model years to know if the 71 & 72 trim bits would even be the same.

As for it not being something other than a 442...I know, I know it's the eternal struggle between selling 5k kits and satisfying the 10 replica stock guys who want a down-trim base model.  I don't think you're ever going to win that argument fellas.  Besides the Sportback top is the only way the 71 442 came as the formal roof wasn't an option after 1970 for that model.

A 1970 350 Rallye as ear searing as that Sebring Yellow color might be, would require...a 350, which isn't in the 2009 tooling either since it has the 455 in it - as covered over and over - you can't just swap tooling inserts in and out of models they don't belong to without running the entire thing (69 Nova?) just to get the engine parts out of it.  So, you're talking about tooling up another SB GM engine for a one-off car that is SO.DANG.YELLOW...my gosh even the bumpers were urethane color keyed!  Only 3500 of them were built, and they're all yella.  Best bet there is to get Keith Marks or someone to do the decals, and then swap in a parts box SB(O)C.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 4:57 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Odd also that this year Revell didn't sent a for "22 new releases newsletter, guess we'll. have to wait 'till Nürnberg toy show, if it's still a go with the coming and going of Covit variants.....

Cheers

Luc

The list is also RevellAG, not U.S.  Those are German part numbers, which don't correlate to our kit numbering system for Revell US kits.  

Also RevellAG has never reboxed for the EU market any of the Ford Hot Rod kits (Model As, 32 Fords, etc) so it makes sense they wouldn't be getting a EU specific release of the Don't Call it a Rat Roaster '32 either.

7 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

The list is also RevellAG, not U.S.  Those are German part numbers, which don't correlate to our kit numbering system for Revell US kits.  

Also RevellAG has never reboxed for the EU market any of the Ford Hot Rod kits (Model As, 32 Fords, etc) so it makes sense they wouldn't be getting a EU specific release of the Don't Call it a Rat Roaster '32 either.

they did the 3 window 32 as a euro release

IMG_0746_01_04.JPG

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

they did the 3 window 32 as a euro release

IMG_0746_01_04.JPG

Good show I didn't remember that one, but in my defense that was released in 1996 which is when that kit was new.  Missed it on a quick check on Scalemates when I searched by '32 Ford and someone entered it as a proper "1932 Ford".  In that case Revell hasn't released a Ford Hot Rod kit in over 25 years :P

The "new" version of the 442 may have been planned all along, previous ownership just didn't follow through with it.  A guy I knew in the early Eighties (now deceased) told me he was contacted by Monogram (not yet part of Revell); they were looking for 1:1 cars to measure and photograph for potential kit releases.  This was around 1983-84, back when Monogram was still working in 1/24 scale.  One was the '70 Olds 442.  The others were a Ford Thunderbolt and a '46-'48 Ford station wagon.  The 'Bolt did appear a few years later, the Ford wagon some time after that.  The plan for the 442 (at that time) involved three versions: a W-30 442, a Rallye 350, and a convertible Indy pace car.  I'd suspect that, now as then, that anyone doing a 350 engine variation on an Oldsmobile would simply cheat and use the bigger engine as opposed to tooling another engine, when the visual difference isn't apparent to anyone but an all-out Olds fanatic.

6 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Guys you have to remember this "conversion" to a 1971 442 is being done in the here and now in the 2021.  There was no coupe body done with this tooling when it came out in 2009, so this is a brand-new tooling for the body shell, glass and interior parts.  It's not a matter of what would be "easier" to make out of the convertible body shell, since that isn't involved here.  The only thing carrying over from the Convertible is the chassis, engine & drivetrain, and maybe some of the chrome since they finally made a 442 grille with the Indy Car version that came out last - albeit I'm not totally up on the precise minute changes between model years to know if the 71 & 72 trim bits would even be the same.

As for it not being something other than a 442...I know, I know it's the eternal struggle between selling 5k kits and satisfying the 10 replica stock guys who want a down-trim base model.  I don't think you're ever going to win that argument fellas.  Besides the Sportback top is the only way the 71 442 came as the formal roof wasn't an option after 1970 for that model.

A 1970 350 Rallye as ear searing as that Sebring Yellow color might be, would require...a 350, which isn't in the 2009 tooling either since it has the 455 in it - as covered over and over - you can't just swap tooling inserts in and out of models they don't belong to without running the entire thing (69 Nova?) just to get the engine parts out of it.  So, you're talking about tooling up another SB GM engine for a one-off car that is SO.DANG.YELLOW...my gosh even the bumpers were urethane color keyed!  Only 3500 of them were built, and they're all yella.  Best bet there is to get Keith Marks or someone to do the decals, and then swap in a parts box SB(O)C.

The 442 was never available with a formal roof during that era.  You are thinking of the 1970-1971 Cutlass SX which came with a 455.  It has the Cutlass Supreme roofline.  The '71 and '72 442 would look identical in model car form except for the segmented taillights on the '72.  The '71 has chromed headlight bezels, while the '72 has black painted bezels.  Otherwise, the cars are the same.  The '71-'72 interior has a different seat pattern than the '70, and the hardtop has a different seat pattern than the convertible.  A Rallye 350 would be an interesting variation on the tooling.      

1 hour ago, Motor City said:

The 442 was never available with a formal roof during that era.  You are thinking of the 1970-1971 Cutlass SX which came with a 455.  It has the Cutlass Supreme roofline.  The '71 and '72 442 would look identical in model car form except for the segmented taillights on the '72.  The '71 has chromed headlight bezels, while the '72 has black painted bezels.  Otherwise, the cars are the same.  The '71-'72 interior has a different seat pattern than the '70, and the hardtop has a different seat pattern than the convertible.  A Rallye 350 would be an interesting variation on the tooling.      

Adding to Jim's and Mark's comments here, I am virtually certain that Revell is planning a second kit release off their new 1971 442 hardtop tooling.  As to what it might be I do not know, but there are some good ideas here....TB 

PS - would sure like to get my hands on a 1/1 1970 Cutlass SX with the 4-barrel upgrade (IIRC the standard engine for that one was - get this - a 455 2-barrel )   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The "new" version of the 442 may have been planned all along, previous ownership just didn't follow through with it.  A guy I knew in the early Eighties (now deceased) told me he was contacted by Monogram (not yet part of Revell); they were looking for 1:1 cars to measure and photograph for potential kit releases.  This was around 1983-84, back when Monogram was still working in 1/24 scale.  One was the '70 Olds 442.  The others were a Ford Thunderbolt and a '46-'48 Ford station wagon.  The 'Bolt did appear a few years later, the Ford wagon some time after that.  The plan for the 442 (at that time) involved three versions: a W-30 442, a Rallye 350, and a convertible Indy pace car.  I'd suspect that, now as then, that anyone doing a 350 engine variation on an Oldsmobile would simply cheat and use the bigger engine as opposed to tooling another engine, when the visual difference isn't apparent to anyone but an all-out Olds fanatic.

Planned possibly, but I never said it wasn't. What I said was this body and interior (et al) was never part of the 2009 kit tooling. This isn't like the Jeep Wrangler where there was an entire other "half" of that kit that was tooled up in 2004, but never saw the light of day until just recently. 

A '70 442 Pace Car off of the '72 H/O would require a different interior, plus different grille, hood and rear bumper.  That would be quite feasible, as would a '72 442 convertible.  It would be relatively easy to do a '70 or '72 442 off of the hardtop tooling.  If these variations did well, there would be a business case to do '68-'69 442 and H/O.  However, the complete chassis and glass would be about all that wouldn't have to be created from scratch. 

17 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

What I said was this body and interior (et al) was never part of the 2009 kit tooling.  

That's a big statement.  I didn't realize you worked for Revell and inventoried their tooling.

Edited by Rob Hall

3 hours ago, Motor City said:

I quite literally said it wasn't...

"Besides the Sportback top is the only way the 71 442 came as the formal  roof wasn't an option after 1970 for that model."

Am I misreading the history then? Was it not available at all from an earlier point?

4 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

"Besides the Sportback top is the only way the 71 442 came as the formal  roof wasn't an option after 1970 for that model."

Am I misreading the history then? Was it not available at all from an earlier point?

Per Wikipedia, the '70 442 was available only in fastback (ht and pillared) and convertible trim.  The formal roofline (Holiday coupe) was only available on the Cutlass Supreme. (The SX was a package on the Supreme).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Cutlass

Edited by Rob Hall
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

that is correct; the first formal roof 442 was the 1980 ('78 and '79 were fastback like the '78-'79 Century)

• Xingu locked this topic