Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2022

dbostream

4 hours ago, Can-Con said:

OK. I'll buy that but I don't see anywhere that anyone posted a price.

I see Chris M has since sorted it all out for us.  The prices were in Luc's earlier link - 48 Euros for the Firebird, versus 32.50 for the ones we know are biscales.

Revell's '87 updates were "eh, alright" changes to the original '82/'32 1/16 F-car releases.  Intakes updated to tuned port, new 1/16 16" Gatorbacks in vinyl replacing the rubber Eagle GTs from earlier, most all of the necessary exterior updates.  Those Gatorbacks were a HUGE improvement to the latest 1/16 Porsche 928 reissue, and as with that kit, I'd expect Revell's latest 1/16 Firebird decal sheet to go out a whole new door.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 3.01.09 PM.png

35 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

The Blazer Pulldozer!

Can anyone confirm that the Pulldozer is coming Back?

It's the first item listed above (ROG site). I wonder how well its SBC has held up over the years? 

Time to bash it with the newer-reissue of the GMC snowplow for stock height suspension.

20 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

Ed Sexton was at the Milwaukee NNL today with a number of test shots for upcoming releases. The Camaro's have great decal sheets for multiple paint versions. 

IMG_20220409_161720373.jpg

IMG_20220409_161727443.jpg

IMG_20220409_154334217_1.jpg

IMG_20220409_154323917_1.jpg

20 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

IMG_20220409_161737731.jpg

With all those decal options, I want those Camaros! VW vans, 442, SS396. Looks like there's going to be a lot of kits I'm going to want from this batch!

Long wait for new announcements, then BOOM! Potpourri of good stuff!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

With all those decal options, I want those Camaros! VW vans, 442, SS396. Looks like there's going to be a lot of kits I'm going to want from this batch!

Long wait for new announcements, then BOOM! Potpourri of good stuff!

FWIW those VW vans have been out for between 4 months and a year depending on which kit. Actually all of the kits in that German boxing pile came out in 2021.

18 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

From what I can recall from reviews in Scale Auto Enthusiast in c.1987, those 1/16 GTA and its relative IROC-Z were slightly-chided. Ostensibly, the updates (from their c.1982 origins) were so-so (e.g., not completely accurate).

I've never had a copy of either, so I can't attest to any faults. A friend had the IROC-Z version (moulded in red and black, IIRC) but the 1987 earthquake destroyed it before he had a chance to start building it.

Right, I have the GTA kit and there are some things they didn't bother to change, the transmission is a big one I remember off hand. It is still the T10 4-speed rather than the correct T5 (if manual 305) or 700R4 (if auto 305 or 350). 

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 6:11 PM, Chuck Kourouklis said:

I see Chris M has since sorted it all out for us.  The prices were in Luc's earlier link - 48 Euros for the Firebird, versus 32.50 for the ones we know are biscales.

Revell's '87 updates were "eh, alright" changes to the original '82/'32 1/16 F-car releases.  Intakes updated to tuned port, new 1/16 16" Gatorbacks in vinyl replacing the rubber Eagle GTs from earlier, most all of the necessary exterior updates.  Those Gatorbacks were a HUGE improvement to the latest 1/16 Porsche 928 reissue, and as with that kit, I'd expect Revell's latest 1/16 Firebird decal sheet to go out a whole new door.

Screen Shot 2022-04-10 at 3.01.09 PM.png

Wait!!!

So this year, not only does the ‘67 vette coupe come back, then the 1/8 Trans am (!!!!!), and now the 1/16 GTA and possibly the 1/16 Iroc??!! And the ‘81 Z28 with all those color options??! 

I gotta let the wife no now.... no savings left for our account in 2022! This going to be knock out year for Revell. If the world doesn’t blow up first. :)

On 4/10/2022 at 2:54 PM, 1972coronet said:

From what I can recall from reviews in Scale Auto Enthusiast in c.1987, those 1/16 GTA and its relative IROC-Z were slightly-chided. Ostensibly, the updates (from their c.1982 origins) were so-so (e.g., not completely accurate).

I've never had a copy of either, so I can't attest to any faults. A friend had the IROC-Z version (moulded in red and black, IIRC) but the 1987 earthquake destroyed it before he had a chance to start building it.

The GTA and Iroc build up nice, but several issues to be aware of along with what 1972 mentioned above. The Iroc comes with Camarillo front seats and firebird back seats molded into the interior pan. The tires on both kits have the lettering molded in upside down. The Firebird rear bumper is pre- ‘85, as in 85 they made the vertical part of the bumper smooth/flat. The dials on the dash of the GTA and also the door panels are 86 and older. And IIRC, I had to switch the accessories on the fan belt from one side to the other. 
That said, I loved both kits, and the finished model looks good. The box art had excellent reference photos.

8269BE05-5A56-4321-A515-49DDBC943351.jpeg

AE606A6A-5B76-44E3-8CEF-4D54DB60CE86.jpeg

0C144E3F-4BA1-42D9-9FCA-9858D5041C9D.jpeg

• Like 5

I have several of those old issue Monogram snap 81 Camaros, will definitely get a few more if for nothing else the decals. That 69 is on my radar and I'll probably grab a couple of the Silverados and maybe that Pulldozer, but it's likely the Mad Mudder which I have a couple of. If they found the top for that Blazer then I am in!

John Shoe, that is a great I idea. But, use the recent '76 Stepside kit in order to get the proper stock engine, rather than the '57 Fuelie Intake that is on the GMC Snowplow truck. That will get you the stock suspension and hood, plus some stock Chevy wheels.

That will get you the closest to a stock Blazer, although it will still be topless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawk312 said:

and possibly the 1/16 Iroc??

Wishful thinking on my part, so keep your fingers crossed for 2022 or 2023. I doubt there's a whole lot more yet-to-be-announced from Revell for 2022 after this latest group.

1 hour ago, stavanzer said:

that [Blazer in stock form kitbash]  is a great I idea. But, use the recent '76 Stepside kit in order to get the proper stock engine,

Yes, and thanks for the updated info. I'd forgotten about the snowplow's customised intake setup. 

Last time I built a Blazer was, jeez, 40 years ago? I remember hand-painting the styllised Jimmy emblems on the front fenders (I'd kill to have that steady hand and hawk eye vision again!) and using the GMC grille from a friend's ruined pickup. 

Yeah, John, a Jimmy is certainly possible given the interchangeability of both 1/1 and Monogram Squarebody trucks.

I may need to acquire one of those '76 Stepsides my self.

Edited by stavanzer
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2022 at 9:00 AM, Jordan White said:

Right, I have the GTA kit and there are some things they didn't bother to change, the transmission is a big one I remember off hand. It is still the T10 4-speed rather than the correct T5 (if manual 305) or 700R4 (if auto 305 or 350). 

Another item I just remembered is the exhaust is wrong, it still has the dual mufflers behind the axle rather than the correct updated exhaust with the single muffer.

On 4/11/2022 at 11:21 PM, stavanzer said:

John Shoe, that is a great I idea. But, use the recent '76 Stepside kit in order to get the proper stock engine, rather than the '57 Fuelie Intake that is on the GMC Snowplow truck. That will get you the stock suspension and hood, plus some stock Chevy wheels.

That will get you the closest to a stock Blazer, although it will still be topless.

let's hope a resin caster or the 3D printing community can come up with a top for this Blazer to give us the chance to build it stock with the parts from the '76 StepSide.

• Xingu locked this topic