Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 2022

dbostream

19 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Wasn't that the car that debuted the 350, Snake?

Not only debuted it, but was a Camaro SS350 exclusive for a while--everything else was 327s. I forget when the 350 made it into the rest of the line--maybe '69, when the 307 became the "small small block," I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Casey said:

I saw it advertised as a "'69 Camaro SS 396", so I think it will be the BBC. The only SBC Revell has for their '69 uses the Cross Ram intake setup, so I doubt they'd retool a new/different intake now. Offering the SS hood with separate chrome plated inserts is smart move-- one can only have so many models with Cowl Induction hoods.

Some of these were mentioned by James a few months ago here...:

...so I'm going to add everything mentioned there, and anything announced since then, here, for 2022 release:

• 4516 -- 1/25 Revell 1937 Ford Pickup 2'n 1 
  • 4517 -- 1/25 Revell 1967 Corvette Coupe
  • 4520 -- 1/24 Revell 1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS 2'n 1
  • 4521 -- 1/24 Revell 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe
  • 4522 -- 1/24 Revell 1970 Buick GSX 2'n 1
  • 4525 -- 1/25 Revell 1969 Camaro SS
  • 4527 -- 1/24 Revell Porsche 911 Carrera Targa
  • 07707 -- 1/16 BMW Isetta Coca-Cola
  • 07110 -- 1/18 1979 Pontiac Trans Am

They could use the small block 350 from the 69 Nova Yenko Duece. It even has the non-chambered exhaust that was more common.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Casey said:

I saw it advertised as a "'69 Camaro SS 396", so I think it will be the BBC. The only SBC Revell has for their '69 uses the Cross Ram intake setup, so I doubt they'd retool a new/different intake now. Offering the SS hood with separate chrome plated inserts is smart move-- one can only have so many models with Cowl Induction hoods.

Some of these were mentioned by James a few months ago here...:

...so I'm going to add everything mentioned there, and anything announced since then, here, for 2022 release:

• 4516 -- 1/25 Revell 1937 Ford Pickup 2'n 1 
  • 4517 -- 1/25 Revell 1967 Corvette Coupe
  • 4520 -- 1/24 Revell 1966 Chevrolet Malibu SS 2'n 1
  • 4521 -- 1/24 Revell 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe
  • 4522 -- 1/24 Revell 1970 Buick GSX 2'n 1
  • 4525 -- 1/25 Revell 1969 Camaro SS
  • 4527 -- 1/24 Revell Porsche 911 Carrera Targa
  • 07707 -- 1/16 BMW Isetta Coca-Cola
  • 07110 -- 1/18 1979 Pontiac Trans Am

I am assuming the "1/18 1979 Trans Am" is the big 1/8 kit? Is that still on? Part of me keeps saying no way it`s going to happen. :(

58 minutes ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Very cool!  Guess that'd make the first 350 in plastic, then...

It'll be nice to have a non-Cowl bonnet for a 'regular' SS -- now the 396 / 454 from the AMT kits could be used to represent a 325hp or 350hp 396 with A/C ( though I wish that Round2 would tool a separate trans pan for that TH-400... ) .

On 11/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, Casey said:

I also hope they do what Round2 did with the '79 T/A, and include three color/decal options.

Has to be at least $100+, but I would guess around $120 or so retail?

I'm in!

But with the prices lately (The Italeri Delta 1:12 is going around 200 euro's), I would NOT be surprised if it would hit 200 or exceeds it.

On 12/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, Snake45 said:

Not only debuted it, but was a Camaro SS350 exclusive for a while--everything else was 327s. I forget when the 350 made it into the rest of the line--maybe '69, when the 307 became the "small small block," I think. 

The 350 was the standard engine on the Camaro SS in '67 and '68.  It wasn't available on any other Camaro or other Chevy series until the 1969 model year.  The 350 replaced the 327 on all of the 1969 models (except Corvair).  You could still get the straight 6 and a 327 on the Bel Air, Biscayne and some Impala models that year.  The 307 was introduced on 1969 Camaro, Chevelle and Nova models, but not on the full-size Chevy.

57 minutes ago, Motor City said:

The 350 was the standard engine on the Camaro SS in '67 and '68.  It wasn't available on any other Camaro or other Chevy series until the 1969 model year. 

1968 Chevy II / Nova SS had the 295hp 350 standard. The rating was bumped -advertised- to 300hp for 1969 , IIRC. 

On 12/8/2021 at 2:56 PM, Snake45 said:

Some '69 Camaros came with a 327... Then they were dropped in favor for the 307 and 350...

Edited by deuces wild

On 12/8/2021 at 6:00 PM, mikemodeler said:

They could use the small block 350 from the 69 Nova Yenko Duece. It even has the non-chambered exhaust that was more common.

Let's hope Revell finally replaces the chambered exhaust. Revell seems to think that exhaust was standard equipment on every 69 Camaro ever built.

• Like 3

On 12/13/2021 at 11:25 AM, deuces wild said:

Some '69 Camaros came with a 327... Then they were dropped in favor for the 307 and 350...

The 327 with a 2 bbl. was the standard V8 at the start of production for the 1969 model year. At some point as a running change Chevrolet changed this to a 307 with a 2 bbl. as the standard engine.  The advantage of the 307 was a little more torque at a lower RPM. This engine provided relatively good gas milage at the time. Around 1977 I bought a used one owner '69 Camaro with the 307 and PG as a base for something better later. At 90k miles it still didn't burn or even leak any oil from the engine or the transmission. The Air Cond. still would freeze you out of the car. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Let's hope Revell finally replaces the chambered exhaust. Revell seems to think that exhaust was standard equipment on every 69 Camaro ever built.

That's because the Yenko that they based the original tooling on had it. It wasn't standard on Yenkos, rare even there. Been kinda cool to have it, though, and if you wanted standard pipes, I think they were available in the AMT '68 Camaro and '72 Nova kits (I'd have to check). 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

At least three exhaust options would be great :

1.) Standard 

2.) Chambered 

3.) Side Pipes 

I'd like to see Revell make a Mark IV ( 396 , ad seq. ) with a TH-400.  Additionally ; if they're going to include the A.I.R. Pump , they should also include the plumbing for it. That *and* a non-A.I.R. Pump belt & pulley setup as an option. 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That's because the Yenko that they based the original tooling on had it. It wasn't standard on Yenkos, rare even there. Been kinda cool to have it, though, and if you wanted standard pipes, I think they were available in the AMT '68 Camaro and '72 Nova kits (I'd have to check). 

I always thought it was strange that Monogram also gave their 1/12 Camaro the chambered exhaust as well, rather than the more common dual muffler exhaust. I'm sure it was the same or similar case, where either their reference car had it, or they decided to just use it and have their kit be a "fully optioned" Z/28.

2 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

I always thought it was strange that Monogram also gave their 1/12 Camaro the chambered exhaust as well, rather than the more common dual muffler exhaust. I'm sure it was the same or similar case, where either their reference car had it, or they decided to just use it and have their kit be a "fully optioned" Z/28.

Both kits came from the same engineering/masters, I believe.

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

if you wanted standard pipes

...use the parts from the Revell '69 Nova, which is still in stock at Michael's stores:

2v2HJqdQLx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqdZCx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqd2Vx6bzhT.jpg

I see no reason Revell would add a completely new exhaust system for the forthcoming '69 Camaro SS 396.

51 minutes ago, Casey said:

...use the parts from the Revell '69 Nova, which is still in stock at Michael's stores:

2v2HJqdQLx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqdZCx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqd2Vx6bzhT.jpg

I see no reason Revell would add a completely new exhaust system for the forthcoming '69 Camaro SS 396.

Casey:  Clever,,,,really, really clever.   I'm impressed...TB

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Casey:  Clever,,,,really, really clever.   I'm impressed...TB

It was Dave Zinn who suggested it, I just happened to have both on hand to take pics.

I guess I should clarify the above exhaust system is from the Revell '69 Chevy Nova SS Special Edition 2'n1 kit. I'm not sure what's included exhaust-wise in either the Revell '69 Yenko nor C.O.P.O. Nova kits.

20 hours ago, Casey said:

2v2HJqdQLx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqdZCx6bzhT.jpg

2v2HJqd2Vx6bzhT.jpg

On the subject of the exhaust in some Camaro and Nova kits. These are excellent pictures that show what I'm curious about. The kits exhaust has two almost standard size mufflers leading into the single muffler behind the differential. I have owned a few 1:1 Camaros and even a Nova SS and none of those cars had this type of exhaust systems from the factory. To be clear the muffler behind the differential was present on each of these cars but the two mufflers before the differential were not. In later modifications the cross muffler was sometimes removed, and I had the muffler shop add a system much like the ones in front of the differential. I'm wondering if the prototype that the model companies used may have had a modified exhaust system and they didn't realize this. 

30 minutes ago, espo said:

On the subject of the exhaust in some Camaro and Nova kits. These are excellent pictures that show what I'm curious about. The kits exhaust has two almost standard size mufflers leading into the single muffler behind the differential. I have owned a few 1:1 Camaros and even a Nova SS and none of those cars had this type of exhaust systems from the factory. To be clear the muffler behind the differential was present on each of these cars but the two mufflers before the differential were not. In later modifications the cross muffler was sometimes removed, and I had the muffler shop add a system much like the ones in front of the differential. I'm wondering if the prototype that the model companies used may have had a modified exhaust system and they didn't realize this. 

My original 68 Z/28 came with that type of exhaust.  So, it may have been model/engine specific.  I'd have to see if I have any references

• Xingu locked this topic