Model Cars Magazine Forum

Front Engine Bonneville Streamliner

Six years ago I built a curbside model of an early 50’s Bonneville streamliner, similar to the famous SoCal streamliner which was the first car to go over 200 mph (209+) at Bonneville in 1950. Considering it was powered by a single flathead Mercury V8 this is remarkable. It’ a testament to its small size and excellent aerodynamics.

That model was based on the Hawk Bonneville Streamliner 1/32 scale rubber band wind-up toys which were later purchased and re-released by Testors under the Easy Builder name. There were four “different” versions depending on where the driver was positioned and the size and shape of the engine cover. This was accomplished by varying a single plastic piece, the strip running down the center of the car, the 4 kits being otherwise identical.

sfracerb.jpg
The 4 Testors EasyBuilder Kits

Instructions-web.jpg
The instructions for the Bonnie Buggy version with the driver in the center of the body and single rear engine.

Obviously these models were simple to the extreme but they can actually look quite realistic once you switch them to 1/25th scale tires and add some historically correct details and graphics. Here is the model I built in 2015:
Summary-web.jpg

For Version number 2 I’ve decided to build front engine version inspired by the Hills-Davis City of Burbank streamliner which broke the pre-war Class C land speed record set by Auto Union on September 13th, 1952 with a speed of 229.77 MPH. It was powered by a single unsupercharged flathead Mercury motor with C-T Automotive OHV heads.

748px-City-of-burbank-bob-estes-special3
September 13th, 1952 – World Record!

George-hill-willie-davis-city-of-burbank

For this version I plan to add engine and cockpit detail which were missing from the 2015 version. I haven’t decided whether to run twin small-block injected Chevys or a sing small-block Chevy with a Potvin blower.

Here is the work I’ve done so far. I started with the Turbo Go version of the Hawk toy cars, a version based on LSR cars run before and after WWII by Donald Campbell. The canopy is set all the way forward leaving room for the huge aero engine in the back. I reversed the center strip to place the driver at the back and reshaped the headrest area and the rear bodywork. At the front I extended the bodywork downward to eliminate the lift that the shape of the original Hawk body would have certainly created. I also have built a belly pan which will support the engine, chassis and cockpit detail.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Comparison of the original Hawk Turbo GO with front mounted cockpit and revised bodywork with rear cockpit and re-profiled aerodynamics:

DSCF8541-web.jpg
DSCF8542-web.jpg

Various views of the initial conversion. The white plastic is the modified area, the yellow from the Hawk toy car.:

DSCF8544-web.jpg
DSCF8545-web.jpg
DSCF8546-web.jpg
DSCF8549-web.jpg
DSCF8548-web.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the interest and kind words!

I made simple scale drawings for the chassis. The plans are actual size for the model so all I have to do is cut the styrene rod to match the drawing and begin construction. I received a shipment of .100 inch and .080 inch rod for the main frame tubes and cross braces. I’ll probably improvise the suspension mounts. Below are the plans with an overlay of the body, motor mockup and wheels.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Chassis-layout-drawing-web.jpg

I would have sworn that I already posted kudos for this project. I guess my mind is going.

Anyway, I had those kits as a kid, and I went and got the re-issued ones. Thanks for showing us that there's more to them that meets the eye!

Thanks for all the interest, everyone!

This is rapidly turning into one of the more ambitious projects I’ve taken on. Going full-detail and trying to maintain some semblance of historic accuracy is presenting me with some pretty big challenges. I’ve gotten the basic chassis completed, but in building it some very basic problems needed to be addressed. The first is to keep the original hood line intact. This will mean I’ll have to fabricate a front mounted accessory drive between the engine block and supercharger. This is because I’ll want to mount both the distributor and the fuel pump in that area. There’s just barely enough length to fit the supercharger behind the front suspension and the usual top mount distributor would stick up above the bodywork. The other major issue was, in order to keep the driving position low within the bodywork and maintain the central location of the seat I will need to offset the driveshaft to one side of the driver. The original Hill-Davis streamliner that inspired this project placed the driver to the left of the drive shaft. For my streamliner I fabricated a transfer case to run the driveshaft to the driver’s left.

When the model is completed my plan is to mount the chassis to the belly pan with a lift-off body in order to display the chassis and motor. The photos below show the completed chassis, the transfer case for the offset drive shaft and a mock-up showing the final position of the driver and motor.

The next major challenge will be designing and fabricating the suspension.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Cutaway of Hill-Davis Streamliner showing left hand drive position:
hopup005.jpg

Front mounted ignition as used on the small-bock Chevy in the 1958 Reventlow Scarab Mk. I. I intend to make a similar setup but with the supercharger drive included.
7ebbc6_fd31903ca5614f2b91af4d81c52d0eef~

DSCF8551-web.jpg
DSCF8552-web.jpg
DSCF8558-web.jpg
DSCF8559-web.jpg
DSCF8557-web.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.

As would be expected working from such a simple toy model I am having to fabricate almost everything for this project. So far only the tires and wheels come from a kit and even those have been extensively modified. The tires are the AMT Firestone DeLuxe blackwalls found so many of their kits. In this case I sanded them down to eliminate the tread and sidewall detail to represent the smooth bias ply tires run at Bonneville in the 1950’s. The wheels, some 1980’s Speedline style mags from my spares box, are hidden behind styrene discs which will be finished in aluminum metalizer.

I got a great deal of work done in detailing the chassis and interior, fabricating the front and rear suspension, the inner bulkhead panels to support the body, the seat, and the various fluid tanks. The large tank at the front of the chassis is the water tank for the motor, the medium sized tank to the right of the driver is the fuel tank, and small tank is the oil tank for the dry sump lubrication system for the motor (in order to bring the height of the engine down below the hood line). Behind the oil tank is a small battery to power the electric pumps for the various fluids. Using this approach helps keep things compact in the crowded interior space.

Not shown in the photos are the firewall and interior panels for the cockpit. These have been fabricated and will be finished in bare aluminum. Also not shown are the front shock absorbers. There is no rear suspension to speak of, the rear axle being mounted directly to the chassis, and common practice on 1950’s era streamliners. The steering system, too, has yet to be fabricated.

The next major step will be constructing and fitting the motor. After that comes styling and finishing the bodywork.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Construction-details-summary-1-web.jpg
DSCF8565-web.jpg
DSCF8566-web.jpg

• Like 1

That is so cool, Bernard.  I bought 2 each of these four kits and have several of them glued into one piece and sanded smooth - but that is as far as I got!  Thanks for a great tutorial on where to go next - I hadn't thought about it  a lot but did have the Kenz _ Leslie 777 in the back of my mind - maybe by cutting and joining two long halves?

Will be following this closely now that I have found it!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan and Andrew!

The chassis, driver’s compartment, suspension, drive train, floor pan and inner body structure are now completed. The motor is about halfway done. The photos below show the motor resting temporarily in the engine compartment. I had hoped to complete this project before the New Year but nearly everything thus far is either scratch built or heavily modified so I suspect this will be my first completion of 2022.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Rolling-chassis-summary-web.jpg

• Like 1