Model Cars Magazine Forum

Great Dane Extendable Flatbed (with mods planned)

Stuffed the tires with backer rod to keep AMT's wimpy tires full in the rims. Sanded the tread for a touch of realism. Painted the brake drums gold for a subtle hint of color. Added tag axle wheels from the parts box. However, I am now one tire short for the spare rim.

Stuffing the tires.JPG

Tires mounted.JPG

• Like 1

Made my first modification. I was not sure if I wanted to utilize the front bulkhead or not. If I glue it then i can't remove it. If I want it on for display, it just falls over. I could figured out some method of pegging it but I found a better way. I still had leftover magnets from my diorama. I simply added some C-channel to the inside base of the bulkhead and glued magnets to that and the underside of the deck. Now I can take it off without marring the finish or put it on with always perfect alignment. Easy peasy.

A magnets for front.JPG

B magnets for front.JPG

23 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

I will be following along Bill.  Looking forward to seeing your modifications. 

Thanks Sam.

22 hours ago, wayne00 said:

I built this kit a few months back, it all most falls together, no trouble at all

I will say this; be careful when you glue on the landing gear, it's very easy to get it in the sliding section. 

Following along.

Rog😁

It is good to hear that it goes together well. Thanks for the tip.

I am going to utilize the tag axle suspension I got from Auslowe last year. I do need to figure out exactly where to locate it. Maybe all the way to the rear, maybe in between the sliding tandem rack or further forward. I am not sure. I'll know better once some of the other chassis pieces are in place.

Tag axle mock up.JPG

Onto the next modification. I wanted to take advantage of the extendability of the frame and increase the deck length to accommodate 3 long cars. I have the floor from a parted out short hauler that even has a woodgrain pattern. The width was really close and I shortened each end right up to the nearest crossmember. I fabricated a perimeter frame with some Evergreen C-channel. I made two tracks to locate the deck on the extended trailer frame from some Plastruct I-beam. Once the perimeter was complete I fabricated tie-down rails from some more Evergreen styrene. I got them to match pretty close to the kit's tie-down rails.

A Proposed deck plate.JPG

B perimeter frame fab 1.JPG

C perimeter frame fab 2.JPG

D basic frame fabbed.JPG

E spacers for rails.JPG

F tiedown rail pieces.JPG

G tiedown rail in progress.JPG

Edited by Bills72sj
grammar

15 hours ago, gotnitro? said:

Really coming along ! 

Thank you Jeff.

11 hours ago, DrKerry said:

Looks awesome so far Bill!! Where do you get your magnets at?? Curious to know... Thanks

Kerry, Off ebay from China

4 hours ago, Mopar - D said:

Nice progress Bill I like your paint booth set up. 

Thank you Dan. I am glad I made it big enough to paint semi-trailer parts. The surprise bonus is that the corrugated plastic in front holds the bamboo skewers  I use to hold parts while they dry.

• Like 1

I got most of the frame parts assembled. The instructions want you to glue the frame to the deck(s) first then put everything else on. My decks are not ready yet. Besides there is some play on the mating of them. I want to take advantage of that for best alignment.

G emblems detailed.JPG

A forward frame preassembly.JPG

B forward frame glued.JPG

C Front fram diagonals.JPG

D diagonals installed.JPG

E rear bumper.JPG

F rear frame assy in progress.JPG

G axles installed.JPG

Painted my decks with flat tan to simulate wood. I debated with myself as to whether on not to highlight the molded in woodgrain for more realism like I did my lowboy. The challenge was the differences in how the woodgrain was embossed onto the parts. The front and rear decks have the detail indented into the deck. The added-in deckplate has the woodgrain detail raised. After determining that two different techniques were required and the trial and (and mostly) error that would likely result, I decided to forgo the attempt. So... I masked off the pieces and sprayed the mostly gloss black onto the underside and perimeter of the decks. I also sprayed some matt gloss onto the mud flaps. It sprayed like doodoo but still gave the effect of mudflaps made from recycled rubber.

A wood decks masked.JPG

B decks painted.JPG

C decks unmasked.JPG

• Like 1