Model Cars Magazine Forum

1960 Dodge Phoenix Convertible

TooOld

I've wanted to build this for a long time and it made it to my bench earlier this year , it took eight months but it's finally finished .  Growing up we had several cars but this '60 Dodge was my favorite . Purchased new in the fall of '59 it was big , red , and a convertible !  The only photo I have of the car is this one taken in front of our house in Texas . . .

To build a replica of our family car I started with a pristine JoHan kit .

Besides removing the top I also built an all new interior and chassis using parts from various sources . Even with all of the pre-fitting that was done there were still a couple minor bumps during final assembly but they were easily overcome .

So here's my replica of our family convertible .  I only wish my Dad was still here to see it , I know he'd be grinning ear to ear !

Here's the build thread . Thanks for looking !

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Tom99 said:

Beautiful!!

Thanks Tom !

7 hours ago, landman said:

Absolutely stunning!

Thanks Pat !

7 hours ago, Zippi said:

Great looking Dodge Bob.  Black and red never gets old.  The interior detailing looks really nice.  Just an overall quality build model.   

Thank you Bob !

6 hours ago, cobraman said:

Wow Bob !  That is a great looking model. Very well done.

Thanks very much Ray !

6 hours ago, Classicgas said:

X2! How did you do the windshield tint?

Thanks Lee !  The windshield requires some creative masking to get the faded bottom edge , then sprayed with Tamiya TS-72 Clear Blue rattle can . The Clear Blue needs to be sprayed in two or three very very light coats so I'd practice on an old windshield first .

4 hours ago, espo said:

Beautiful looking build. All your efforts to make a replica of your family's car really paid off.  I enjoyed watching all of your attention to the fine details during the build. 

Thanks very much David !

3 hours ago, grodudulle77 said:

Interior details are very awesome, very nice work !!👍😀

Thank you Phillippe !

3 hours ago, Venom said:

Very nice!

Thanks Josh !

Your 1960 Phoenix Convertible turned out spectacularly! That interior! I built the hardtop from Modelhaus during the pandemic. Not the greatest kit, but like you, it was important to me and the first car in my life. Also like you I wished my dad could have been around to see it when it was completed.

16 hours ago, Hi-Po said:

Simply beautiful!  Nice job on paint and detailing.

Thank you Terry !

16 hours ago, hedotwo said:

Amazing!  Congrats on a beautiful build.  Always great to see replicas of family cars. 😃 

Thanks Rich !

13 hours ago, TimKustom said:

Super nice model. Lots of work went into it as seen in the build thread. Well done!

Thanks Tim !

12 hours ago, Geno said:

Stunning build, I love this bodystyle. You done it proud.😎

Thank you Gene , I appreciate that !

11 hours ago, Bucky said:

Incredible Dodge! Very realistic looking in that setting. Where did the uptop come from? I looked back at the build thread, but may have missed it.

Thanks Bucky !  The top is from the Monogram '59 Impala Convertible , with a little tweaking it dropped right on .

11 hours ago, Drag Monster said:

Sweet Build, Stunning!

Thanks Bill !

10 hours ago, misterNNL said:

Real world authentic model. Kudos on a top shelf build.

Thank  you Tom !

8 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Your 1960 Phoenix Convertible turned out spectacularly! That interior! I built the hardtop from Modelhaus during the pandemic. Not the greatest kit, but like you, it was important to me and the first car in my life. Also like you I wished my dad could have been around to see it when it was completed.

Thank you very much Tim ! The interior was the most important part of the build so I spent most of the time working on it .  Your Modelhaus Dodge looks like a nice kit to me and you did an outstanding job on it , beautiful paint and foiling work !  Sorry I missed it when you posted it last year . Seems like a car like this really leaves a big impression when your just a youngster .