Model Cars Magazine Forum

NextGen NASCAR

bbowser

Be prepared to do some filling work to the roof because details that are on the underside of the roof were molded to the topside like the small hatch on the right and the curve lines linking the roof flaps. And the driver's side roof rail needs to be extended towards the front to match the passenger side rail.. Have fun!!

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

While not subject matter that I collect and had kinda lukewarm feelinging looking at their initial releases, I'd have to say I'm impressed with the detail I saw on Chis his unboxing video.

So are they tooled in CA too or is it just molded there?

Luc

Unless something significant has changed their kits are made in the US from CAD to your bench. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

While not subject matter that I collect and had kinda lukewarm feelinging looking at their initial releases, I'd have to say I'm impressed with the detail I saw on Chis his unboxing video.

So are they tooled in CA too or is it just molded there?

Luc

Adding to what James said, NASCAR sent Salvino's all the CAD info and data so the kits should be as accurate as you can get minus a few small issues.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The only constant......CHANGE!!!!

10 years ago offshore was the solution.....now So Cal is viable!!!!

With Covid opening the eyes of a lot of business, not just the medical field, I think, over the next decade we might see a lot of manufacturing coming back to NA. The superconductor chips is just one sector that they're already trying to bring back so the automotive industry doesn't take the huge delays like they have the last year or so again in the future. It's possible we'll see model manufactures come back too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

With Covid opening the eyes of a lot of business, not just the medical field, I think, over the next decade we might see a lot of manufacturing coming back to NA. The superconductor chips is just one sector that they're already trying to bring back so the automotive industry doesn't take the huge delays like they have the last year or so again in the future. It's possible we'll see model manufactures come back too.

The only problem with that is the molds for our toys are in China and it will probably take a military invasion, or some kind of international espionage to get them in the hands of the U.S. or whoever wants them. I guess the big block would be a disagreement over the actual ownership. Do they belong to the ones who are responsible for the design and holder of the copyright licenses, or to the ones who did all of the manufacturing of the tools and also currently have possession of them. Wanna bet it comes down to a big argument about the one who has possession is going to claim possession is 9/10s of legal ownership, and since it is going to be really hard to sneak items that size out in your luggage getting them back to the United States will probably not be in the books. Not to mention that I would be willing to bet that the tooling itself would require either a major redo to work with the American equipment or a complete redo of the equipment we have to actually fit to the Chinese built tools. or

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

GEN 7 .....still waiting for a MUSTANG announcement...............

Next Spring probably, they signed a deal with Joe Gibbs Racing last week, so Toyota itself is a formality. Rick seems to think they will have Camrys out by August.

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

Next Spring probably, they signed a deal with Joe Gibbs Racing last week, so Toyota itself is a formality. Rick seems to think they will have Camrys out by August.

Good on the Mustang.....but why a YEAR?!?!?!?!?  I mean we are talking a body and a few under hood parts. No Mustang will save me money!! 

30 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Good on the Mustang.....but why a YEAR?!?!?!?!?  I mean we are talking a body and a few under hood parts. No Mustang will save me money!! 

I guess Ford wants to play ball the least in terms of licensing, or that's been their story the past few weeks on that Saturday Morning web show they do.  Sounds like they also have other obligations they have to get made to other licensors before the end of the year.  It was mentioned that the upcoming (vintage obviously) Roadrunner has to be out before October to meet a deadline set in one of their contracts.

I also believe the deal they're trying to swing with Ford is more expansive than just the NextGen Mustang, they have all of those old Monogram Thunderbird tools lurking in the background.

Edited by niteowl7710

I have no first hand info between FORD and Salvinos........but I did a LOT of licensing with Ford between 1983 and 1998 when I ran a hobby company. FORD was the easiest and cheapest. In fact if FORD wanted something done a license fee was ZERO. Ford Worked with Monogram on the FORD Mustang GTX kits, the GTP kits, the IMSA and Trans Am Mustangs, Revell's Fusion kits were done at FORD's request. I'd hope Salvinos is looking for a blanket license to cover all their tooling. 

Based on past history I don't see FORD being the issue.....but as I have no inside info.....so maybe. 

Without FORD working with model companies for free or even paying, we'd not have any of these kits......

MUSTANGGTPa.JPG

MUSTANGGTP7.jpg

RIBBS06a.JPG

Edited by Dave Van
  • Like 2

I "heard" last month they were planning for a December release for the Fords, I am very much inclined to agree with early '23 at this point with them not having secured the licensing yet.   I also "heard" they secured the licensing for both of the Toyota teams , which means 2311 Racing . 

Edited by martinfan5

Didn't Revell cover some Gen 6 cars?   I mean yeah, the Fusion-to-Mustang and SS-to-Camaro transitions might have been missed, but this Gen 7 car seems a WAAAYY more intriguing subject.  Certainly taken me from yawning about 60-year-old technology to whoah...

Can't knock Salvinos' rocket trajectory of improvement, either.  Things started looking up when they actually made some Chrysler bodies for their old Chrysler chassis but still, to arrive at an offering this serious in such a short period of operation?

Impressive.  MOST impressive.

th.jpg

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
errant apostrophe

3 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Didn't Revell cover some Gen 6 cars?   I mean yeah, the Fusion-to-Mustang and SS-to-Camaro transitions might have been missed, but this Gen 7 car seems a WAAAYY more intriguing subject.  Certainly taken me from yawning about 60-year-old technology to whoah...

Can't knock Salvinos' rocket trajectory of improvement, either.  Things started looking up when they actually made some Chrysler bodies for their old Chrysler chassis but still, to arrive at an offering this serious in such a short period of operation?

Impressive.  MOST impressive.

th.jpg

Relatively easy when NASCAR is supplying you with all of the design files even before the teams themselves received them. Jim Rogers mentioned recently that he had been working on breaking all of those design files down into an actual model kit since May of 2021, so by the time it was all said and done with (including an emergency stop to move the exhaust exit location) these kits have been in development for almost a year.

Edited by niteowl7710

19 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

They have no current plans to do any Gen 6 kits at the moment.

And a huge part of that is because the molds are inaccessible right now, being in China. Revell Germany did not get the Gen6 molds when they took over the rest of the company. If they had I'm sure Salvino's would have worked to get the molds.

It doesn't make a lot of financial sense to pay for new molds of the Gen 6 when the Gen 7 is now out. If somehow the molds of the Gen 6 resurface and are made available, Salvino's will try to get them.