Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alternate International CO-4070A grille coming soon.

58 minutes ago, DRIPTROIT 71 said:

How will I be able to get one?

I haven't decided. I'll put some on eBay. I am banned from Facebook, so that's out. I don't know if I'm allowed to offer them here. Disclaimer: I'm not a resin caster per se, but these are nice castings from a one-piece mold. I'll post a picture of a casting soon. Also, while I'm happy to sell these to those who want them, I have a full-time job and little modeling time as it is...I don't want to become a slave to the (potential) business. I would listen to any advice pertaining to a possible solution. I get a real kick out of seeing parts I've made appear on built models in forums or contests. 

Edited by Repstock

55 minutes ago, Repstock said:

I haven't decided. I'll put some on eBay. I am banned from Facebook, so that's out. I don't know if I'm allowed to offer them here. Disclaimer: I'm not a resin caster per se, but these are nice castings from a one-piece mold. I'll post a picture of a casting soon. Also, while I'm happy to sell these to those who want them, I have a full-time job and little modeling time as it is...I don't want to become a slave to the (potential) business. I would listen to any advice pertaining to a possible solution. I get a real kick out of seeing parts I've made appear on built models in forums or contests. 

Send me a pm when you have one available or I can keep an eye on Ebay. I won’t be starting this project for a few weeks. I have to finish the one I am on.

Thanks for the response!

On 11/21/2021 at 8:13 PM, leafsprings said:

Yes! Were always looking for ways to change things up. Appears to be the basic fleet truck grill?

This type of grille, the 5-bar, was the style solely used on the 4070a from it’s introduction in 1968 (when it replaced the CO-4000) until 1972 when International brought out the “premium” 4070a with a new 8-bar grille. This upgrade is what the Ertl/Round 2 kit represents. 

The newer 4070a also had other things that found their way into the 4070b shortly there after. This is according to a great Transtar history article in the Sep/Oct 2021 Wheels Of Time (the ATHS magazine). I found a copy at the local Pilot truck stop. Couldn’t help but notice the beautiful Transtar on the cover staring at me from the rack next to the register.

What I haven’t been able to find out is if the original 5-bar continued as a standard or fleet spec grille beyond 1972 on the 4070a. It was definitely gone when the 4070b came out. Regardless, this is a great way to backdate the 4070a and make a unique model. Thanks, Tom, for making this happen!

Edited by vincen47

51 minutes ago, Repstock said:

Interesting stuff, vincen47. I'm pretty familiar with the 4070 family, but the specifics you offered are new to me. It's always nice to learn something new. I assumed the grilles were available concurrently. Lesson learned.

No problem. I find this “research” very interesting and entertaining.  It may have been offered concurrently - that much I haven’t been able to verify yet. I’ll need to search for specific model years of Transtars. The ATHS article just states that the 8-bar came out in late 1972, not mentioning if it entirely replaced the early grille, or if was just a premium option.

Now, I’ve read elsewhere that the turn signals were lowered (and square rather than round) for ‘73 and later models, so this may be a clue. I’ve seen several photos of 4070a tractors with the early 5-bar grille and low turn signals. So, we can speculate that the 5-bar grille continued to be offered during the “transitional” period when the 4070b was coming into existence.

It makes sense, as a very popular fleet truck, that some buyers wouldn’t want to pay for unnecessary upgrades. Either way, it’s nice to have an option to backdate or “downgrade” the build. 

Edited by vincen47

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 7:57 AM, Repstock said:

How did you get banned from Wastebook? Differing political opinion?

10 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

How did you get banned from Wastebook? Differing political opinion?

I have no idea. They didn't tell me when they did it, and they didn't tell me when I appealed. I don't leave political comments online at all (although I'm happy to do it in person). Near as I can figure, and this may be wrong, I didn't use Facebook enough. I'm told there's a minimum standard of usage (?)