Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! UPDATE! 1/22/23

Dennis Lacy

On 3/25/2022 at 2:14 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

FC193B48-9291-4AF2-A0AF-C6494C3213D3.thumb.jpeg.6730fa05b831217fded8786364f857dd.jpeg

Dennis...thanks for showing this image.  

I have followed this particular body accuracy issue for years, and my own thoughts were that, while the body wasn't completely accurate, the issue was being way overplayed among the model car cognoscenti (err...that would be, participants in this model car forum). 

These photos prove I was entirely and utterly wrong on this. 

And I should have known better as I too owned a real one....in this case, a 1979 Ghia notchback 5.0L 4 speed manual overdrive.  I ordered it in the summer of 1978 when I started working at a Ford District Sales Office, and I was promptly told I was never to park my existing car (a killer looking 1974 E58 Road Runner with BFG Radial T/A's and mags) anywhere near the front row of their office parking lot.  I ended up selling the Ghia when I was transferred to San Francisco three years later, and between the ridiculous rent expense there and a company car, I couldn't justify the expense of a second car...  Have owned many V8 stick Mustangs since then, (mostly the last two generations, but also a Fox 1986 GT 5.0L/five speed convert), but still have fond memories of the '79 notchback.  I'll see if i can scan and post a picture here.  

Again, thanks Dennis, and kudos to you two gentlemen, Mike and Greg, for your roles in mastering and casting the corrected body....TIM 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 5

@tim boyd

You get a pass because your notchback experience was much longer ago than mine. But, yes, when comparing the kit and corrected bodies it’s undeniably obvious. And not just with the height of the roof but also the wheel openings, trunk lid edge and rear bumper width as my pictures show. I tried to convince myself it would be okay but in the end I just couldn’t.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

@tim boyd

You get a pass because your notchback experience was much longer ago than mine. But, yes, when comparing the kit and corrected bodies it’s undeniably obvious. And not just with the height of the roof but also the wheel openings, trunk lid edge and rear bumper width as my pictures show. I tried to convince myself it would be okay but in the end I just couldn’t.

Dennis, after all the work you've put into yours so far, I don't think anyone reading this thread would disagree with your decision.   Really good that you were able to get a resin copy so quickly....greatness awaits!   TB 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2022 at 12:53 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

However, to my eyes, what were Ford doing with this model? It must be the most un Mustang looking Mustang I have seen. No pony badges either? Before I get castigated, I am sure that the car performed well and owners were satisfied with its handling.

Ford did the right thing later on with the Mustang a making it more appealing by retro styling it using key elements from the original 1960's car.

That's a good question, and the answer may surprise you. It was supposed to look like a European Ford. Here is the story directly from Jack Telnack, the head of Ford design at the time, and chief stylist of the Fox Mustang.

Edited by Maindrian Pace
  • Like 1

Glad you got the corrected body Dennis. I just received mine last week and it's all that AND a whole bag of party mix. Shoutout to Mike for the help and to you, Dennis, for bringing the updated body and caster to light.

Looking forward to more.........

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2022 at 9:09 AM, tim boyd said:

And I should have known better as I too owned a real one....in this case, a 1979 Ghia notchback 5.0L 4 speed manual overdrive. 

What color was yours  Mr Boyd? I too had a 1979 Ghia Notchback with a 5.0 and automatic transmission. It was my 2nd car I’ve ever owned. I traded my first car(1974 Mustang II) and $150 for it and drove it for 3 years. Sold it to my local Mustang guru and it has sat in the exact same spot for the past 32 years. I went by one day and asked if he’d sell it back to me and it could be mine again for $400, I’m seriously tempted lol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keef said:

What color was yours  Mr Boyd? I too had a 1979 Ghia Notchback with a 5.0 and automatic transmission. It was my 2nd car I’ve ever owned. I traded my first car(1974 Mustang II) and $150 for it and drove it for 3 years. Sold it to my local Mustang guru and it has sat in the exact same spot for the past 32 years. I went by one day and asked if he’d sell it back to me and it could be mine again for $400, I’m seriously tempted lol

Keith....mine was Medium Red Glow metallic with a black vinyl roof and the medium red velour...what was yours?   TB 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Keith....mine was Medium Red Glow metallic with a black vinyl roof and the medium red velour...what was yours?   TB 

Mine was just like this one with these wheels and interior 

22F02B45-904A-443A-970F-3EFE5681633D.jpeg

363AFB6F-862F-4041-8613-A2A380E78A26.jpeg

52CF2DC2-421C-41A0-96BC-B2211E98915E.jpeg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

UPDATE! 

Sadly, it looks like it’s been since March of last year since I’ve updated this project. I was on a good roll with it but it’s one of several that had to be put on the back burners when MCM asked me to contribute a model for issue 216. Then, as it often happens when I have a long hiatus from a project, I started second guessing the direction getting in my head that it wasn’t going well. 🙄

One issue I discovered last Spring that got me frustrated was that the engine sat too high not allowing the hood to close. After all of the mock ups I had done somehow this got by so I started going down the path of changing the engine to the 5.0 / T5 from the kit with modifications. I’d gone so far as to pull all of those parts and put them in the box a few months back.

Fast forward today and I decided to open the box and take another look at the engine height problem. This time I was able to visualize a (pretty) simple solution to the problem and make the DOHC SVT Cobra engine fit properly. It’s funny how time away can bring fresh perspective. So, I’m happy to say the the project can move forward without two steps back!

I was given a heads up when I bought the body that the back end of the floor pan would need to be trimmed because the rear bumper cover was tightened up by 1/16” on the master body to make the width of the ledge more accurate. 

B17FF061-3876-4F72-894A-4BD0BDE17D21.thumb.jpeg.e16dd905d81e25ac21d428eb511528df.jpeg

With that I figured I’d start with trimming 1/16” as I could always do more. As it turns out, that was the perfect amount. 

39820691-DDB5-4C18-BDE2-CA5FEDCF67DF.thumb.jpeg.8d80483346dbe3f7f8c892dcdff8d71e.jpeg

After trimming the floor pan assembly is a perfect fit in the body but I found it much more difficult to get it manipulated into place and I think that is largely because the  rear wheel openings on the resin body are smaller (corrected) which makes it hard to get the wheel wells past them. It’s also an extremely tight fit getting the front end up behind the bumper and into place as there’s details on the core support that protrude. It’s one thing to force things into place in bare plastic and resin but I don’t want a fight on my hands in the future during final assembly so my solution is that I’m going to cut the front bumper cover off the body so it can be installed separately after. It’s my understanding that the latest versions of this body are made with it separate.

A0617F6F-5C0D-4795-9135-C476167F28EF.thumb.jpeg.9ea1c08aea1ff7acc8eb0803b2c79ece.jpeg

6FD42520-4BA7-4943-8946-3827DCF8EF99.thumb.jpeg.5d74e18202459180195da17f53e45a6e.jpeg

One of the details still needing to be figured out is a coolant overflow tank. I’m using the kit radiator with the electric frame from Revell’s 1948 Ford convertible. After some thought I realized I could carefully cut the factory tank away from the fan shroud and it’s a perfect fit up against the fan.

90E4359D-6B8E-493B-8616-2D398CDC6F9B.thumb.jpeg.7fd944d3d871e0b7477c7052ed0a53c6.jpeg

6E96A3E2-AFE7-4D78-9F70-30B3AD8CB5B1.thumb.jpeg.5c4ab17fa8e741c0a1a3d0826e3f391a.jpeg

That’s pretty much it for today. I did take the opportunity while the floor pan was fit into the body to mock up the engine, exhaust, front k-member, rear axle assembly and subframe connectors to make sure everything is still fitting correctly. Thankfully I didn’t find any issues.

D7E1B464-6E35-425A-BE14-67D35F295014.thumb.jpeg.98cacb80d2e0c72e8fb1bf1d5f8b5217.jpeg

78F4C045-CCA5-4A7D-BFAF-C3D3938947D5.thumb.jpeg.9b51facf2417afc18b1401f24a616d26.jpeg

70A94B5B-C524-45AF-B055-48983DB00FC8.thumb.jpeg.c177185365f35f08d83247883615d1c1.jpeg

23240D52-9861-41EC-BDA4-350A69C28D76.thumb.jpeg.b3b58081410750776914502db3c87733.jpeg

1193FBFC-A4D6-4CFC-AEF3-35512F95003B.thumb.jpeg.573ac97c38a721510546b7318f27996d.jpeg

More to come!

• Like 5

• Dennis Lacy changed the title to 1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! UPDATE! 1/22/23
On 3/25/2022 at 6:54 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

You must not have been around here when the kit was being developed and then came out, LOL! The thread in the Kit Review section was something special and earned this kit the nickname “the kit that shall not be named”, haha. 

Um, yeah, guilty as charged. 😁 Just one thing - it might look as if that was all about the kit (and maybe it MIGHT AS WELL have been all about the kit). But actually, this kit became THE poster child of how wrong a model could be and still get blindly defended, and it was brought up so constantly in one thread or another that said defenders got sick and tired of hearing about it.  So eventually, I was like, "fine, then, The Kit That Shall Not Be Named", and apparently that stuck in some small measure or another.

Two things can be true at once.  One of us might say, "well how big a deal is it really to fix this roofline", and the other might say, "decals for a world-famous sedan in a coupe kit, how DUMB is that - *sigh*, might as well fix it".  And somebody could come up to either of us and say "but you shouldn't HAVE to fix it" -

and begging everyone's pardon, but that does not count as a personal attack.  Not on the order of someone insisting with aggressive stupidity that you're criticizing the kit only 'cause you're too lazy or incompetent to fix it, which was the primary dialogue that always started the fights around here.  All of which is not to say we on the other side didn't finally go overboard and devolve in our own responses.  If "rivet-counter" is name-calling and juvenile, "shill" most certainly is.

Which is one reason I'm stopping here with the relitigation of it all.  The other is that Revell is now deploying tools with the potential to put these issues to bed.  I might have wished they'd used LIDAR on this Mustang (and who knows for the future, stranger things 'n all), but I'm also happy about the Mustang that eventually got the treatment.

Meantime betweentime, radically right call,  Dennis!  Before, you would have made a heap the best it could be, but now you actually have something worthy of your effort, imagination, and considerable skills. 😎

• Like 1