Model Cars Magazine Forum

1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! UPDATE! 1/22/23

Dennis Lacy

On 2/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, webestang said:

Looking fantastic!!!! 😎

Someday I want to build a replica of my 88 5.0 LX vert. 

My first Mustang was a 1988 black LX 5.0L and then a 1991 in torch red... I  still have the '91 parked in the garage...

rJJNbDev.Kay5Mb7vD-(edit).jpg

1991-ford-mustang-lx.jpeg-1.jpg

1991-ford-mustang-lx.jpeg.jpg

Edited by deuces wild
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2022 at 5:37 PM, Dennis Lacy said:

That would be challenging since you’d have to create the body but it certainly could be done. 

I'm thinking of using the Police/drag notchback kit with the New Monkey's GT vert kit, only thing is the notch is 1/25th and the vert is 1/24th. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 3:07 AM, deuces wild said:

My first Mustang was a 1988 black LX 5.0L and then a 1991 in torch red... I  still have the '91 parked in the garage...

rJJNbDev.Kay5Mb7vD-(edit).jpg

1991-ford-mustang-lx.jpeg-1.jpg

1991-ford-mustang-lx.jpeg.jpg

Nice Pony's!!!!! 

My 200,000+ mile 88.....

GnXr81d.jpg

And my 85 2.3L notch.....

TMeSRtp.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, webestang said:

Nice Pony's!!!!! 

My 200,000+ mile 88.....

GnXr81d.jpg

And my 85 2.3L notch.....

TMeSRtp.jpg

My latest and greatest....🙄🙂

20211003_140301.thumb.jpg.091f938192c74296ff5b3605a17e8a87.jpg

I also have an '05 GT droptop in red.... I'll be getting rid of that one soon.... My little cousin wants it for his first car....🙄

Edited by deuces wild
  • Like 1

That detail work on your interior, chassis and engine are lookin' great Dennis.

This thread makes me miss mine. I sold her off 12 years ago and remember all too well the fun that I had driving that car. She dyno'd out at 348 hp on motor and ran a best of 12.2 seconds @112 mph in the quarter which wasn't bad for the early 2000's. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by mustang1989
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, mustang1989 said:

That detail work on your interior, chassis and engine are lookin' great Dennis.

This thread makes me miss mine. I sold her off 12 years ago and remember all too well the fun that I had driving that car. She dyno'd out at 348 hp on motor and ran a best of 12.2 seconds @112 mph in the quarter which wasn't bad for the early 2000's. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

An LX notch with Draglites is the quintessential Fox body look. I don't know if I would have been able to sell that car.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stinkybritches said:

An LX notch with Draglites is the quintessential Fox body look. I don't know if I would have been able to sell that car.

All I can tell you is that it was indeed tough. I couldn't watch her drive away. 

I bought an old GMT400 soldier in her place which I drove around for the next 7 years before the performance bug hit me again but THAT......is a separate story. I still have that one now but it aint stock no more. 😉

UPDATE!

This project is going to have to get put on hold for a bit. I’m to the point where all that’s left is to paint the body and chassis/floor pan. With all of the work I’ve put into this model, and the fact that one of these LX Coupes was my daily driver/weekend warrior for 14 years (making me intimately familiar with them) I just can’t bring myself to use the highly inaccurate body. I’m on the hunt for one of the excellent Greg Wann corrected bodies and as soon as I get ahold of one then this project will resume. 

My latest attempts to contact Greg have gone without response so if any of you have one of his corrected bodies that you’d be willing to part with please send me a message. 

• Like 1

• Dennis Lacy changed the title to 1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! UPDATED 3/8/22
1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

UPDATE!

This project is going to have to get put on hold for a bit. I’m to the point where all that’s left is to paint the body and chassis/floor pan. With all of the work I’ve put into this model, and the fact that one of these LX Coupes was my daily driver/weekend warrior for 14 years (making me intimately familiar with them) I just can’t bring myself to use the highly inaccurate body. I’m on the hunt for one of the excellent Greg Wann corrected bodies and as soon as I get ahold of one then this project will resume. 

My latest attempts to contact Greg have gone without response so if any of you have one of his corrected bodies that you’d be willing to part with please send me a message. 

I'm actually looking for one of those bad boys as well for the same exact reason as you are. I've had a couple of these kits in the stash and just can't use the OOB body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

UPDATE!

and here you told me not to worry about it...haha

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!

I have exceptionally good news. As of today I have in my possession one of the corrected LX Coupe bodies. A HUGE shout out to @Maindrian Pace for hooking it up so that this model can be everything it should be. For those who don’t know, he’s the one who built the master body that these are cast from. 

7FAC9C27-642C-4508-ACC3-04C367A29F34.thumb.jpeg.ee1ee8fdbb9b111b4ba0f42f49fbccea.jpeg

Here’s a few comparison pics with the kit body. Not only did he correct the very incorrect roof height, he also corrected the rear wheel openings to stock size (Revell made them oversized for the big drag slicks), the edge of the trunk lid so it has the correct little lip to it and the rear bumper which stuck out too far beyond the taillights. The workmanship is superb and the quality of the casting is excellent!

FC193B48-9291-4AF2-A0AF-C6494C3213D3.thumb.jpeg.6730fa05b831217fded8786364f857dd.jpeg

449FE091-8A3C-44DC-BE4B-6AD0C6BDBCB1.thumb.jpeg.c2da913554d19b8e07965e58e01111b2.jpeg

D2A577DF-60B1-4E5C-A237-9CA0C25336EF.thumb.jpeg.53dd38df30d4d5f029faa0ab059f3b7f.jpeg

Onward!!! 😁

• Like 10

• Dennis Lacy changed the title to 1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! HUGE UPDATE! 3/24/22
12 hours ago, Bullybeef said:

Those changes make a huge difference, I was not aware that the roof height was even an issue with the body. 

You must not have been around here when the kit was being developed and then came out, LOL! The thread in the Kit Review section was something special and earned this kit the nickname “the kit that shall not be named”, haha. 

18 minutes ago, Dennis Lacy said:

You must not have been around here when the kit was being developed and then came out, LOL! The thread in the Kit Review section was something special and earned this kit the nickname “the kit that shall not be named”, haha. 

Probably not lol, can’t wait to see it in colour! 

Edited by Bullybeef

That thread was nothing if not entertaining, so much so it was shut down after everyone got their punches in. I commented in it that it shouldn't be too hard to fix it, and I was *savaged*.

"We shouldn't HAVE TO CORRECT THE STUPID THING!

"Why is it so far off in this day and age of computer files, scanning and digital rendering? It should be PERFECT!"

"I have been waiting for this kit for 25 years and they give me THIS?"

"I don't know why you guys are so upset, it looks like a Mustang to me, but I think these were the ugliest Mustangs of all time, so what do I know?"

And on and on. A real dog pile. So I decided to start a how-to thread on correcting the kit so I could build a model of my daily driver at the time, a '92 coupe which I still have. The thread got so many views that it maxed out my free Photobucket account in three days, and I had to switch to a paid account so the pictures would stay up. I only intended to build the one body, but no less than 12 members here PMed me asking me to have it resin cast so they could have one. They said essentially the same thing: "It looks great Mike, uh... I can't do that, can you have this cast because I really want one." Or six in one case.

I was flattered, but I didn't know the first thing about resin casting. So at one of the Moonlight club meetings, Dan Baker introduced me to Greg Wann, the Master Caster, and that's how it all began. Greg said it was the best selling body he ever cast. I couldn't have imagined that, or that it would still be in demand 8 years later. But it is, enough so that I made a new resin master because the original kit body master is trashed, having been used to make four molds (they don't last forever) and the process is hard on a body, especially one with so many glue bond seams. I've done several other cars since then, including a Fox LX hatch back. It's been a fun ride.

• Like 6

Your talent for detail applied to that project created a beauty, Mike   B)

Time for someone to supply an '85/'86 fascia...

86mstgtraga.jpg.1e44419914644650e5777ed6e3ef1967.jpg

Change the time to 40yrs and this comment

On 3/25/2022 at 9:20 PM, Maindrian Pace said:

"I have been waiting for this kit for 25 years and they give me THIS?"

reflects what many thought of another fairly recent release with an original discussion thread ranging over 30 pages iirc. It was committed to steel with worse problems than this one  :blink::lol: 

Edited by mk11
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2021 at 6:18 AM, Andrew McD said:

Just a bit off topic but I'm curious what sort of adhesive you are using to keep the parts together for mocking up.  I've tried Tacky Glue with only moderate success. 

I will be watching this very interesting build!

Andrew

I'm curious why we don't use optically clear silicone.

• Like 1

Yes, I have poped up out of nowhere.  Mike told me I need to visit this thread.  Gorgeous build in progress here.  Mike is finishing a fresh master for the Hatchback.  I have greatly improved my technique of creating a body mold which I should share when I get the body from Mike.  I do have a Holy Grail Resin model page on fb too.  You are welcome to join.  A big problem I have is no help in my shop.  I got lots going on. It's tough to keep up.  So....these Fox bodies are not rare and can still be purchased for a reasonable price.  Don't overpay on the bay!!

• Like 2

Interesting how a manufacturer can get a body shape inaccurate these days. It's not as if there were no examples of the real thing to measure or laser scan. I can understand previous owners wanting an accurate model of a car they own or have owned.

However, to my eyes, what were Ford doing with this model? It must be the most un Mustang looking Mustang I have seen. No pony badges either? Before I get castigated, I am sure that the car performed well and owners were satisfied with its handling.

Ford did the right thing later on with the Mustang a making it more appealing by retro styling it using key elements from the original 1960's car.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Greg Wann said:

Beautiful work, Dennis.  Sure glad you got this body.

Thanks, Greg! I’m really glad I got one. I tried convincing myself that the kit body would be okay and that was fine for a while. You’ll notice I did everything else but paint the body and with how the rest of the parts and assemblies turned out I just couldn’t do it. It figures I’d hear from you after I found one elsewhere, LOL! Totally joking there!  Mike made me a deal I’m happy with so it’s all good. 

• Dennis Lacy changed the title to 1990 Mustang LX - SVT Cobra DOHC Powered! UPDATE! 1/22/23