Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing the Rat from the Roaster

Rocking Rodney Rat

As a hot rod model car builder, the Revell 1932 Ford series of kits originally released in 1996, starting with the three window coupe, is one of my all time favorite kits. Since that time, Revell has brought out a roadster, Speedwagon, 5 window coupe, a sedan and the Stacy David inspired Rat Roaster. Revell has announced that they will be modifying the Rat Roaster kit, without the Stacy David tie-in. Plans are for a DuVall windshield and Limefire style headers and a redone interior and...??? The Rat Roaster, is a wealth of parts. It has a blown Weiand SBC with a standard transmission, really nice wheels and tires, but some other things are not so cool. The original car was a mishmash of styles, IMHO. In any case, I thought it would be a fun project to remove the Rat from the Roaster. Although this kit is based on the previous '32s Revell has released, but it does appear this is a whole new tooling. The body is far superior to the original roadster body and the chopped windshield is sweet. So, I started pulling parts, many from other '32 kits and some from the Revell Model A series kits. I had a couple of other projects that stalled for various reasons and I feel like I need a simple build to work on...

Here's my 'yard sale' of parts, obviously, not all of the parts pictured below will be used...

ilyhbiugy.thumb.jpg.62044fba16fd3e03b1b8361c94f88202.jpg

From the Model A kits:

-Rear wheels and tires, fronts from the parts box.

-3x2 intake manifold, carbs, headers (that ugly exhaust pipe 'bump' will be removed).

-Finned Buick style brakes.

-Rear axle (not shown here).

From other '32 kits:

-Interior, 5 window or original roadster? Seat from the 3 window coupe?

-Louvered trunk lid from the 5 window kit.

-I'll most likely use the original '32 style radiator and fan, since I won't need room for the blower belt drive. 

Otherwise, it's pretty straight up. I'm considering making a ragtop for it. 

Thanks for looking.... -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

That would be sweet. One problem is that a QC would interfere with the gas tank. -RRR

I know. But, they’ve been milking the same frame (with molded in gas tank) and the same plain Jane rear end for over quarter of a century now in six different kits. I’m pretty sure they can figure it out. 
   Now if they throw in a supercharged Flathead or an Oldsmobile Rocket for a change, it would be amazing. And while we are on Sweet Dreams Ave, why not a new Vicky or Phaeton bodies. 

7 hours ago, mrm said:

I know. But, they’ve been milking the same frame (with molded in gas tank) and the same plain Jane rear end for over quarter of a century now in six different kits. I’m pretty sure they can figure it out. 
   Now if they throw in a supercharged Flathead or an Oldsmobile Rocket for a change, it would be amazing. And while we are on Sweet Dreams Ave, why not a new Vicky or Phaeton bodies. 

A well proportioned Vicky would be awesome... KK and I built one with a combo of the AMT Vicky and Revell sedan bodies. Lots of work: https://public.fotki.com/jferren/1932-vicky/ -RRR

Ah yes, the ol’ slice and tuck… well played! 
Triple R this will be awesome, I’ll go fire up popcorn maker.  I have one of these in the stash, not sure what treatment I’ll give it yet, but I have a feeling I will get some ideas here! 
Cheers, Steve

3 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

There was post here (and I'm sorry I forget what section of the forum it as on) about the Rat Roaster re-do...there were some pix of some of the plans in process. Can someone remember where that was posted? I believe it was from a show? -RRR

It was in the IPMS Vegas thread... 1st page, a few posts down..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Thanks, that was quick! Interestingly enough, this kit doesn't appear on the list of new for 2022 with Revell, so this looks to be quite a ways out..... -RRR

I think as far as 2022 they have only announced 1st quarter releases, not even sure if that's official yet, since they usually do it around New Year's Eve... 

The other man modification is to the exhaust system. I'm using the Limefire style SBC headers form the Revell Model A series of kits (roadster and coupe).

0978h80yg08gy.thumb.jpg.fbc1e100f0d5f9611bcf627a8051fdd4.jpg

A quick mockup indicates they'll fit...I really don't like that bump on the #4 header tube, made that way to clear the steering column. Again, with a mockup, I can eliminate that bump and still clear the column. I'll use one of the tubes from the Buick Nailhead headers from the Revell Model A series...

8yg9yg9.thumb.jpg.fafb5c5aefce58f6100c1ca249d602f9.jpg

997h08gh80.thumb.jpg.fc54d6acf836ecb0b334c0d1fcfc28b1.jpg

The original header (de-chromed) on the top, the header with the tube replaced with one from the Nailhead. Sorry I don't have more and better pix, I got a new phone and I'm still getting used to the camera, some of the pix were way out of focus...more to come.... -RRR

• Like 1