Model Cars Magazine Forum

Goldfinger DB5 Rebuild

spencer1984

This project has been on my bench for several years, but only just got finished. It's a combination of several damaged Danbury Mint scale Aston Martins (both stock and 007), plus a few items from my stash to get me a complete 1/24 James Bond DB5.

goldfinger-db5-01.jpg.583d6f359aff46ab43d7da151b1ce787.jpg

goldfinger-db5-02.jpg.5c5d85216c327b24bf18a640e5f12d9e.jpg

goldfinger-db5-03.jpg.a6d55d533bfa0c88875a0d898b5d06ad.jpg

Connery, Moore, and Brosnan's rides:

goldfinger-db5-04.jpg.84401d4966912fbf5de97a39ddece6bd.jpg

Thank you!

No, likely not even as a Frankenstein monster. There's most of a (broken) chassis, a smoke-stained beige interior, an engine, and about 80% of a body. But most of the leftovers will find their way to other projects - the extra wheels were already mounted on a Bburago Ferrari, the straight six will likely go into a vintage Batmobile, I'll clean up the seats and find them a new home, etc.

Thanks, guys!

8 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

which wheels did you use for this ? Tamiya Morgan or Jaguar Mk II?

The Mk.II - I happened to have one in the stash already, and planned to give it a set of steelies, so this worked perfectly.

2 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

I have the Burgundy standard version, but always wanted a Bond. 

The body started out as a burgundy one, I liked the clean look of it better than the Bond version with the extra panel lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A very nice model, and very well executed. Looking at the photo with the DB5, Lotus and BMW Z3 makes a nice little JB  collection. I think in one of the Brosnan movies a BMW 5 series featured as a Bond car, but have not ever seen a model in 1/24th scale.

For anyone seeking to make a JB DB5 there is a new book that hit the bookshelves recently It is titled simply titled James Bond's Aston Martin DB5. It is quite a big heavy tome devoted to this car with plenty of good research by the author about the original car, clones, studio drawings for some of the gadgetry, lots of info about the movies and excellent photos. A real tour de force about this iconic vehicle devoted only to the DB5 and to my mind the best reference so far available. A must have for Bond enthusiasts and modellers alike.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2022 at 5:13 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

A very nice model, and very well executed. Looking at the photo with the DB5, Lotus and BMW Z3 makes a nice little JB  collection. I think in one of the Brosnan movies a BMW 5 series featured as a Bond car, but have not ever seen a model in 1/24th scale.

Thanks! I do have a "Brosnan Bimmer" group shot as well, with the three cars he used before switching back to Aston Martin for Die Another Day.

Goldeneye-04.jpg.5144097edca7122613da50d87016c343.jpg

It was a diecast available through BMW dealers around the time the movie came out. They're not cheap, but I do see them on eBay pretty regularly (quick link).

The silver Z8 was from "The World is Not Enough." This one is also a diecast, because I was too lazy to build the Revell kit. I may revisit that some day, but for now I have enough other Bond cars to get through that it's really low on the priority list.

Thanks for the feedback Bill.   You're not kidding about the die cast Saloon being expensive when I checked the Ebay link!   Looking at the descriptions I think it may be a 7 series and not a 5 like I originally thought.

Regarding the Z3, didn't Tamiya produce a kit as well as Revell? Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

Thanks for the further feedback guys. I was unaware that Dragon did some BMWs.I

At a quick glance I thought that the silver Z8 was a Z3 when I first looked at the group. My mistake!

Having just bought and watched the latest JB movie after the scenes where the DB5 was used, it was interesting to see where later in the film he pulled the wraps off a 70's Aston Martin Vantage I think. Similar to the one used back when Timothy Dalton took on the 007 role. I am almost certain that this Aston type was available as a die cast model a number of years ago in 1/24 scale. Possibly a Burago or Maisto?

On 1/19/2022 at 8:41 AM, Geno said:

Absolutely stunning, great job Bill.

Thanks!

On 1/19/2022 at 3:04 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Thanks for the further feedback guys. I was unaware that Dragon did some BMWs.I

At a quick glance I thought that the silver Z8 was a Z3 when I first looked at the group. My mistake!

Having just bought and watched the latest JB movie after the scenes where the DB5 was used, it was interesting to see where later in the film he pulled the wraps off a 70's Aston Martin Vantage I think. Similar to the one used back when Timothy Dalton took on the 007 role. I am almost certain that this Aston type was available as a die cast model a number of years ago in 1/24 scale. Possibly a Burago or Maisto?

Yup, the V8 Vantage was Dalton's car for The Living Daylights and remains one of my all-time favorite Bond cars. Polistil did a 1/24 diecast of the roadster, but sadly no coupe.

I'd love to see a good kit of it, I've written to Alpha about this and a possible DB10. There is a 3D printed V8 coupe body I see from time to time, it might be worth getting that and trying to fit it over the Polistil interior/chassis.

Edited by spencer1984