Model Cars Magazine Forum

primer

Hey Guys, I know there have been other threds about this subject but I have had no luck finding them. 

I have been using PlastiKote sandable  for years to protect the styrene but it hase been discontinued. Much to my dismay! I sometimes use laquer and need some protestion from it as to not etch the plastic. Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative  primer that will give similar results and be compatable with the plastic? Any help would be appreciated.

Jerry

3 hours ago, Nazz said:

...I know there have been other threds about this subject but I have had no luck finding them

...Does anyone have any suggestions for an alternative  primer that will give similar results and be compatable with the plastic?

Here's one thread:

I see several fellas have recommended Duplicolor products.

They're great, but beware.

They may be too hot for some of today's garbage kit "styrene".

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

If you never want to have to worry about if the primer is going to be compatible with the plastic, then use the best, Tamiya or Mr Surfacer Primer.

Exactly what I was going to say. Tamiya and Mr Hobby are lacquer primers design to be plastic safe. I have used them for years with no issues. I do prefer the Mr Hobby 

• Like 1

Just remember, if you use Tamiya primer, you're choices for many of the commonly used chemicals for paint stripping will be limited.

Products like Super Clean, Purple Power, Easy Off oven cleaner, etc, are not going to help you.

Duplicolor primer is dissolved by these products and they will consequently work if you should happen to need to strip a lacquer paint job.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

8 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just remember, if you use Tamiya primer, you're choices for many of the commonly used chemicals for paint stripping will be limited.

Products like Super Clean, Purple Power, Easy Off oven cleaner, etc, are not going to help you.

Duplicolor primer is dissolved by these products and they will consequently work if you should happen to need to strip a lacquer paint job.

Steve

All it takes to strip Tamiya primer and paint is 91% alcohol.