Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alpha Models 1/24 McLaren P1

I placed my order on November 10 and got it on Tuesday.  If you are not familiar with them, Alpha Models is the full resin kit "arm" of Hobby Design.  They have produced a series of very interesting, and to some, desirable, exotic cars such as Ferraris, McLarens, BMW's, Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin and others.

The kits include the basic assembly parts for the model, decals, windows with black edging already applied (no masking and painting) and easily understood instruction manuals.  Color pictures to help build, including paint options, were not evident in this kit, but were in my other kits.  I find that, often, one needs to research these anyways, depending on the desired detail.

The contents of the kit are pictured here.  First is the overall shot. I didn't take photos of the detail resin pars as Alpha has those on their site. But you can see the decals, PE sets, and chrome transfers. I included the instruction sheets as well.

There definitely is enough of an engine for display even though there isn't much to see once assembled. To me, that is a nice touch.

I think the body is even crisper than the earlier Alpha Ferrari kits I have gotten. The trunk and door lines appear more defined. I had to do a bit of deepening of these on the Lusso I am currently doing.

I see one possible glitch on the PE grill mesh that I circled in orange on a separate shot. I'll need to look more closely at it and may have to contact their customer service for a replacement.

In all, I am quite satisfied with this kit. Looking forward to building this. Lusso needs finish first, then maybe this one (sorry Tamiya, Senna will be on hold).  I've seen a lot of interesting P1 paint schemes online, and this one "screams" for a more exotic color scheme. But, a little bit of time to think over.

DSCF2750.JPG

DSCF2751.JPG

DSCF2752.JPG

DSCF2753.JPG

DSCF2754.JPG

DSCF2755.JPG

DSCF2756.JPG

DSCF2757.JPG

DSCF2758.JPG

DSCF2759.JPG

InkedDSCF2753_LI.jpg

Edited by Exotics_Builder

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Thanks Gerry for the review.  Good to see the engine included, too! 

Missed your build of the Lusso, I would love to see that one come together!   Best....TIM 

Lusso is just started.  Finishing off a 66 GTO and 69 Camaro Pace first.  I've only done body prep and am deciding on the color options.  Look for the build to soon start.

1 hour ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Nice!  I like the engine too. 🙂

Might the highlighted area on the rear mesh be where a badge or script is supposed to go?  Think we're seeing the back side of that PE fret, and the final page of the instructions appears to point something to that general vicinity on the passenger (right) side...

It may be.  That is why I said there may be a problem. Need to spend a little more time grokking this one.

I just checked my P1 kit and it has the same blemish in the PE, looking at the pictures it appears that maybe part R50 are either over or under the blemish...like you I still have further research to do as I just received mine this week as well.

Robyn

13 minutes ago, Robyn said:

I just checked my P1 kit and it has the same blemish in the PE, looking at the pictures it appears that maybe part R50 are either over or under the blemish...like you I still have further research to do as I just received mine this week as well.

Robyn

That is what it looks like to me as well.  I looked a bit more at it last night.  Love the kit overall.  Big deal to me is what color scheme.  Happy Thanksgiving

5 hours ago, Exotics_Builder said:

That is what it looks like to me as well.  I looked a bit more at it last night.  Love the kit overall.  Big deal to me is what color scheme.  Happy Thanksgiving

I love the kit as well, I have all of the Ferrari, Lamborghini and McClaren kits Alpha has produced as well as several of the Hobby Design kits prior to Alpha - working on the MP4-12C street car now. I am not a rivet counter by any means but all of their kits look spot on to me and like you the hardest part in deciding what color scheme to do them in.

Robyn

2 hours ago, Robyn said:

I love the kit as well, I have all of the Ferrari, Lamborghini and McClaren kits Alpha has produced as well as several of the Hobby Design kits prior to Alpha - working on the MP4-12C street car now. I am not a rivet counter by any means but all of their kits look spot on to me and like you the hardest part in deciding what color scheme to do them in.

Robyn

Agreed.  I haven't gotten all their, just select the ones I most want to build.  I have too many unbuilt that I don't want to add to the stash unless really desirable.  An esoteric Hobby Design transkit I have is their 599 GTO.  

33 minutes ago, Exotics_Builder said:

Agreed.  I haven't gotten all their, just select the ones I most want to build.  I have too many unbuilt that I don't want to add to the stash unless really desirable.  An esoteric Hobby Design transkit I have is their 599 GTO.  

I think my rarest is the Hobby Design SLR 722 GT conversion, have only seen those a couple of times. I like most of their stuff and usually will buy the transkit to go with a kit as soon as it is available. I did a big clean out and sell last year during Covid and sold a bunch of rare resins and plastic, that is what is funding the Alpha kits as you know they are not cheap, that I would have loved to build but decided I would never get to them and got the stash down to around 500 kits in both resin and plastic. I am now at the age where I have said screw it and am going to start building what I have and only buy what really intrigues me, this past year it has been the Alpha kits and the Tamiya Mercedes GT3 and Mustang GT4.

Robyn

4 hours ago, Robyn said:

I think my rarest is the Hobby Design SLR 722 GT conversion, have only seen those a couple of times. I like most of their stuff and usually will buy the transkit to go with a kit as soon as it is available. I did a big clean out and sell last year during Covid and sold a bunch of rare resins and plastic, that is what is funding the Alpha kits as you know they are not cheap, that I would have loved to build but decided I would never get to them and got the stash down to around 500 kits in both resin and plastic. I am now at the age where I have said screw it and am going to start building what I have and only buy what really intrigues me, this past year it has been the Alpha kits and the Tamiya Mercedes GT3 and Mustang GT4.

Robyn

Same here, but 700+ remain.  Have a bunch tagged to sell/trade after the holidays.

2 hours ago, kelson said:

I have two of their kits off Ebay the lamborghini Centenario a couple months ago and the 488 Pista that's still stuck in Mississauga🤬,the detail is amazing but the body on the Lambo is surprisingly heavy.

They're pretty much that way.  Like some of the Model factory Hiro kits.  Sturdy, but I would love to open the doors on some to show the great interior detail, but that is a major undertaking.  I saw one person do that to one of theirs and it was a significant effort, including forming a brass door.  Only did it to the driver's side.  

20 hours ago, Robyn said:

Robyn

Alpha Models does have a chronic but inconsistent problem of undersized wheels and tires or arches that are too big, though. 

• Like 2