Model Cars Magazine Forum

1958 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery

For this model I used the Jimmy Flintstone resin body and a derelict AMT '58 Chevrolet Impala that I used for it's hood, chassis and partial interior. A beat up AMT'59 El Camino gave up it's gas tank and I scratch built a spare tie well. I scratch built a steering wheel for it as well, but later discovered that same El Camino had the correct steering wheel for this car all along.
The engine was sourced from the AMT '60 Chevy pickup and I added a scratch built air cleaner.The air cleaner was made by cutting a slice out of a clear lightbulb blister pack, a styrene base, a section of a ball point pen barrel and some little pieces of scotch tape for the top detail. 

Clearly, this resin body wasn't intended to be built as a stock vehicle, so door handles (Fireball Modelworks), a side rearview mirror etc. had to be added.
The paint is Testors enamel mixed to be what I hope is a close match for 1958 Chevrolet 'Glen Green'. I thinned it with regular hardware store enamel paint thinner and polished it a little with some liquid car wax.

I airbrushed the white walls on the tires with Tamiya flat acrylic paint with a circle template as a mask. White wall tires on a utilitarian vehicle like this were probably seldom seen, but I saw a picture of one that had them in an old '58 Chevrolet sales brochure and really liked the look.

Thanks for looking!

nwcaps2.jpg

nwcaps3.jpg

nwcaps5.jpg

nwcaps6.jpg

sm_0206.jpg

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Bills72sj said:

Wow! That looks sweet. I have one of those resin bodies too. Do you have a WIP link so I can see how you did the interior.

Thanks Bill. I'm sorry, but I didn't do a WIP thread, but the interior detail ends just behind the bench seat. I didn't do the cargo area. I cut the AMT interior at that point and then sanded off the Impala upholstery detail. I painted the seat and door panels to reflect the 'Delray' style of trim. The only challenge I can recall having was getting the door panels to mate with the floor and also the window sills of the body.

The chassis dropped right in, but I had to grind quite a bit off of the engine cradle to get the engine to fit under the hood. 

Edited by Smitty

14 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Same here. Any problems getting the resin to play nice with the plastic parts from the kit?

Steve, The only challenge I can recall having was getting the door panels to mate with the floor and also the window sills of the body.

The chassis dropped right in, but I had to grind quite a bit off of the engine cradle to get the engine to fit under the hood. That 6 is a lot taller than the V8 I guess.

As per usual, there was lots and lots of test fitting, and a real good cleaning of the resin body.

45 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Steve, The only challenge I can recall having was getting the door panels to mate with the floor and also the window sills of the body.

The chassis dropped right in, but I had to grind quite a bit off of the engine cradle to get the engine to fit under the hood. That 6 is a lot taller than the V8 I guess.

As per usual, there was lots and lots of test fitting, and a real good cleaning of the resin body.

Thanks Eric. I'm not surprised about the interior fitment. That resin looks like it would need the trimming. I'll be using the kit engine so that should be fine.

Your car looks excellent. Gives me hope mine will look 1/2 as good.👍

15 hours ago, 2doors3pedals said:

That's a great looking model! Nice to see an unusual subject finished to such a high level.  The scratch built air cleaner is very clever. 

May I ask where you sourced the hub caps?

Thanks Dave! The hubcaps were borrowed from a West Coast Precision Diecast ‘59 Chevy sedan delivery.