Model Cars Magazine Forum

A is for Attitude - the builder's block buster

mrm

So, not as much progress as would have like this weekend, but still good I think. I'm on the final stretch. The body was wetsanded and buffed. 

w4lMKD.jpg

So next I turned my attention to the windows. First thing I did was to paint all the recessed areas of the windows with a black sharpie. This way, after the windows are installed there is still a very little black line showing, which looks like the black weather strip on a real window. 

mQQDBD.jpg

The three windows are installed in the back of the coupe and the windshield s glued in the chrome frame For windows I like to use GS Hypo Cement. It dries crystal clear, does not attack plastic and cures somewhat flexible. Great stuff that you can find in any Hobby Lobby.

viLifB.jpg

Once the glue is dry, hte back of the "glass' is painted with Mollotow chrome, to simulate the chrome frame on the inside too. 

5pqbJp.jpg

To temporarily attach things or to mask, I like to use this tacky stuff, that feels like bubble gum. You can find it pretty much anywhere and a pack lasts me over a year, since after it is removed, the tacky stuff is reusable.

I Used it to mask the inside of the headlight buckets when I painted them and here to attach the lights so I can glue the lenses. 

VKIfDT.jpg

T2ojJu.jpg

Since I dropped the front significantly, the shocks end up being too long. I removed a good portion of the shock body and reglued its top.

Fq5NSD.jpg

The shocks were attached and the mounting hardware on the frame was picked out with the chrome pen. Rear shocks are also in and so is the steering arm. You can see on this picture the lower radiator hose been attached also.

lcRMs0.jpg

I also attached the grilled and radiator, but forgot to take pictures. This is a good time to mention, that anyone who is building the model with the '32 grille should know that not only there are no instructions for it, but also the parts are not designed to be used on this kit. The radiator part that fits the back of the grille is simply designed to be plumbed to a SBC motor, like in the original issue and not to the Buick motor in the new kit. This is no big deal for any experienced modeler, but will cause some people to scratch their heads. 

Stay tuned and thanks for looking. 

Talk about way to come back!  This thing is exquisite!  Your paint application is so clever and that deep candy red is simply breathtaking.  I can't remember if anyone started a "Show us your 30 coupes" post but this one should be right on top if it happens.   

Plus, I love the way you shortened the shocks.  When I did mine I drilled out the body so that the shaft pushed up inside but for some reason I like the way you did it better.

Now, I know you are going for a bad boy look and all, but the black wheels to my eye ( and with all due respect to Dennis) are killing the vibe a bit. White walls with a tiny baby moon hubcap might be one option, or else run a Molotow pen over the wheels for a chrome reverse rim with blackwalls.  If nothing else, I would be grabbing the rolling stock out of that second kit and trying your options before everything is glued up tight!

Can't wait to see this thing done - you're comin back, baby!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1

14 hours ago, alan barton said:

Talk about way to come back!  This thing is exquisite!  Your paint application is so clever and that deep candy red is simply breathtaking.  I can't remember if anyone started a "Show us your 30 coupes" post but this one should be right on top if it happens.   

Plus, I love the way you shortened the shocks.  When I did mine I drilled out the body so that the shaft pushed up inside but for some reason I like the way you did it better.

Now, I know you are going for a bad boy look and all, but the black wheels to my eye ( and with all due respect to Dennis) are killing the vibe a bit. White walls with a tiny baby moon hubcap might be one option, or else run a Molotow pen over the wheels for a chrome reverse rim with blackwalls.  If nothing else, I would be grabbing the rolling stock out of that second kit and trying your options before everything is glued up tight!

Can't wait to see this thing done - you're comin back, baby!

Cheers

Alan

Thank you for the kind words. 
Now about the baby moons and white walls , that would be a resounding NO GO. I love the attitude of it just the way it is. Plus I have three family votes for the all black wheel tire combo. And if you want to argue about with my wife, you’re more than welcome. I wish you good luck. LOL. 

• Like 1

Thank you Kyle and Jim. I am almost done with this one. 

The exhaust is now completed.

BaOdyf.jpg

At the rear, the license plate, tail lights and tail pipes were also glued in place. Note I used the exhaust/mufflers parts for the channeled version on the Deuce frame, which makes the exhaust tips hang lower instead of been tucked in under the rear edge of the body. It suits the attitude of the this particular build better in my opinion. 

6GYuUZ.jpg

The interior received it's steering wheel and the rear view mirror was the last touch.

RRt1MP.jpg

The roof was first sprayed Metallic black on both sides.

A3mLEC.jpg

Then the top part received few "dry" passes of clear flat to create some texture.

D7ZhKI.jpg

Then I had some fun covering the whole underside with "memento stickers". This would be almost impossible to see unless you really look for it. But I know it's there. I did the same thing with my kids to the underside of the carbon fiber hood on my Corvette. We used to collect stickers from everywhere we went and then I let them put them under the hood. I had anything from skateboard companies, to breweries, restaurants, national parks to automotive events.

M38kQN.jpg

so, this little Hot Rod is pretty much done, save for the headlights, door handles and maybe a decal or two. then some minor touch ups, painting the clear red on the tail lights and good clean up. 

dbLvlC.jpg

Next time I post pictures should be in the "Under Glass" section. Actually I have few things I need to post there....

Stay tuned and thanks for looking. 

• Like 1