Model Cars Magazine Forum

6 hours ago, leafsprings said:

This was the subject of AMT's original 70's Ford pickup. It was an F 350 Super Camper Special. ...

I recognized that dealership's showroom floor. https://www.streetsideclassics.com/vehicles/6959-cha/1974-ford-f-350-super-camper-special  Senility caused me to forget what the big door on the passenger side of the bed was for.

spare stash.jpg

Edited by Russell C

Hopefully you don't get a rear flat! 😧Would have been cool it AMT gave up more build options back then, namely  4 stock 8 lug steel wheels with hubcaps and a wider rear wheel and rear tire option, but no, they gave up some funky variations thru out the run with custom grills, roll bars, side exhaust pipes and wide rear fenders and finally a 4x4 version that never existed in 1:1.

Edited by leafsprings

On 11/25/2021 at 6:16 PM, Can-Con said:

I wonder what the story was behind them picking this particular version to kit instead of a standard long box or short box

I think that may have been discussed here before...I'll have to do some digging.

It's amazing to me that Ford tooled up special fenders, bed sections, a different length rear driveshaft(?), etc. to create a specialized pickup for use with slide-in campers back then.

Great reference pics, Tommy.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I think that may have been discussed here before...I'll have to do some digging.

It's amazing to me that Ford tooled up special fenders, bed sections, a different length rear driveshaft(?), etc. to create a specialized pickup for use with slide-in campers back then.

Great reference pics, Tommy.

The bed was probably the only thing that was "special" as the longer wheelbase chassis already existed and was used with different bodies- dump, stake, and whatever other custom bodies companies created. It's a shame that we didn't get a standard long bed version, but maybe that is part of Moebius's plan for the next series of trucks, the 73-79. Just have to tool up bodies, the chassis and drivetrains are done.

13 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

The bed was probably the only thing that was "special" as the longer wheelbase chassis already existed and was used with different bodies- dump, stake, and whatever other custom bodies companies created. It's a shame that we didn't get a standard long bed version, but maybe that is part of Moebius's plan for the next series of trucks, the 73-79. Just have to tool up bodies, the chassis and drivetrains are done.

Makes you wonder if AMT before the sale was planning a few different bed options for this truck.  The slide in campers were seen all over around here back then also. 

Edited by 1930fordpickup
  • Like 1