Model Cars Magazine Forum

USPS Pinto.

Oldmopars

Words cannot describe how bad this kit is. I did what I could. I added inner fenders, blocked the gap under the rear fenders. I did what I could to make the hood fit better, but it is still bad. I brought in the bumpers so the don’t stick out so far. It took 4 kits to get the hub caps, I bought 2, 2 were donated. 
I went with the USPS theme, I saw a picture of one and it gave me the push to finish this thing. RD-14 is for Rual Delivery car 14. I cut them down from a UK plate. 
I added boxes and a mail pouch to add details. I upgraded the headlights to clear, some chrome stickers for the turn signals painted with orange gel pen. 
At this point I am just glad it is done. 

F34FA328-09CD-449E-8D28-22F700AC5D27.jpeg

E41C5DB1-69BF-41DD-B494-15581479F3B2.jpeg

94B9D7A8-745D-4668-B66C-4F5F50B1512E.jpeg

E4278BC8-7475-4916-8386-E6642DD8155C.jpeg

08BD791B-F65E-4A42-B53F-7E3B6E993712.jpeg

7579AA8D-221A-473A-AE3D-9F1694B7EB2F.jpeg

ABD3247C-240F-4504-8708-B273740CB086.jpeg

16D7B474-5351-4715-80CE-C6AD4D1911FF.jpeg

CFA86863-6819-4C4A-8D9F-045D9B169FB7.jpeg

C44789AC-36AD-430B-98C4-B2B4B6F75F9E.jpeg

• Like 1

I love it, you done an awesome job. I've really been looking forward to seeing this when I seen the in progress pic. You cleaned up the front end nicely and I like the stock wheels. When I was building mine I was tempted to cast three more stock wheels from the one that comes in the kit but as you know, this kit is enough work as it is! Very nice build.

3 hours ago, Hans1971 said:

It's far from bad after all !
Is this from the AMT Coca-Cola series ?
I planned to buy a pickup or van from AMT, but if those kits are quite bad, I'll have to think about it...

Don’t worry, the 55 Chevy truck is a good kit, the van is also not bad, much better that the AMT Chevy van. 

1 hour ago, Hans1971 said:

Both of those are good, not perfect, but very usable. 
The AMT van is not a Coke version. It is sold as a Rescue van or Police van. The body is fine, hood is not open, and there is very little interior details. No door panels. That is not to say it can’t be made good. I won the Cannonball Run build off with one 2 or 3 years back, so they can be made good. 

image.jpg

Looks excellent!

I always liked those FoMoCo dog dishes. Did any other kit besides early 70's Mustangs ever come with them? Would've been cool if they included them with the newly re-issued Courier "minivan"... since that's what most of them had in real life.

edit: oops. so, the pinto kits come with... one?

Edited by ClassicDarts

3 hours ago, ClassicDarts said:

Looks excellent!

I always liked those FoMoCo dog dishes. Did any other kit besides early 70's Mustangs ever come with them? Would've been cool if they included them with the newly re-issued Courier "minivan"... since that's what most of them had in real life.

edit: oops. so, the pinto kits come with... one?

Yes, one hub cap only. I bought 2 kits, so that gave me 2. The 2 fine people from here gave me each a hub cap from one of there kits. 

• Like 1

I had one of these. 1980 Pinto Pony. 13" wheels and totally stripped. Radio Delete, and only Heater / Defroster. Nothing extra, Uncle Sugar bought these things bare bones as they could be built. Ran like garbage, and eventually failed the California Smog Test. It cost too much to repair, so I paid a junkyard to take it.

(You had to pay junkyards to take Pintos back in the day. Completely worthless cars)