Model Cars Magazine Forum

Where would I get a Nitrous Oxide bottle refilled for drag racing?

Alright, this is kind of a strange question, so feel free to move this post if needed. 

I’m looking to run a Nitrous system on my truck for next race season. However, I know very little about said power-adder.

So, I have a very important question for y’all: anyone know where would I get my Nitrous bottle refilled? A welding/gas shop? Local speed shop? Somewhere else? 

Not sure how much response I’m gonna get, but thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, Hotrod 97 said:

Local speed shop?

Yes.

2 minutes ago, Hotrod 97 said:

I know very little about said power-adder.

Not to scold you, but please do some reading up on using NOS. Things go boom quickly (and expensively) without additional fuel and air. 😲

7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Not to scold you, but please do some reading up on using NOS. Things go boom quickly (and expensively) without additional fuel and air. 😲

Oh yeah, I’ll be doing plenty of research and reading before settling on nitrous. I have an idea of what not to do, now to find out what to do 🙃 Thanks for the comment!

I have it on my 92 mustang,  it's a carb not efi though. First thing you need to know is what engine is in your truck, is it carb or efi? Unless you've had an engine swap your truck will most likely have a cast piston and not a forged piston. I wouldn't run over a 100 shot on a cast piston or your asking for trouble. Here are your basics.

Are you planning on using a wet system or dry system if your truck is efi?

Lower timing I always start around 10°

Good fuel is a must

Anything over a 100 shot will require more fuel pressure on a efi car/truck.

Bottle pressure, I usually run around 900 

I recommend a purge valve (money well spent)

Cold plugs I run a gap of .38 to .40 Depending on weather. 

DO NOT HIT THE REV LIMITER

DO NOT MISS GEARS IF USING MANUAL TRANS. WHILE SPRAYING NITROUS 

If using for the first time I'd recommend using a micro switch so it only activates at wo throttle once you master it you can change to a button.

I have a 250 shot on my mustang and haven't had any issues but I have forged pistons 😉

I'd find someone at your local track that can help you choose what's best for you and your truck and also give you advice on using it.

ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOUR TUNE IS OFF OR YOU MAKE A MISTAKE IT CAN BE CATASTROPHIC!!

Edited by Scott8950

10 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

I have it on my 92 mustang,  it's a carb not efi though. First thing you need to know is what engine is in your truck, is it carb or efi? Unless you've had an engine swap your truck will most likely have a cast piston and not a forged piston. I wouldn't run over a 100 shot on a cast piston or your asking for trouble. Here are your basics.

Are you planning on using a wet system or dry system if your truck is efi?

Lower timing I always start around 10°

Good fuel is a must

Anything over a 100 shot will require more fuel pressure on a efi car/truck.

Bottle pressure, I usually run around 900 

I recommend a purge valve (money well spent)

Cold plugs I run a gap of .38 to .40 Depending on weather. 

DO NOT HIT THE REV LIMITER

DO NOT MISS GEARS IF USING MANUAL TRANS. WHILE SPRAYING NITROUS 

If using for the first time I'd recommend using a micro switch so it only activates at wo throttle once you master it you can change to a button.

I have a 250 shot on my mustang and haven't had any issues but I have forged pistons 😉

I'd find someone at your local track that can help you choose what's best for you and your truck and also give you advice on using it.

ONE THING TO KEEP IN MIND IF YOUR TUNE IS OFF OR YOU MAKE A MISTAKE IT CAN BE CATASTROPHIC!!

I greatly appreciate this info, Scott.

The truck engine is EFI, and research (the internet) claims that it has forged pistons (for what it’s worth - I haven’t had the engine apart to prove that yet).

I was planning on running a 50-shot dry system on a mostly stock engine, higher octane fuel (91?), no tune, and 1-2 step colder plugs. Solid plan, or am I asking for trouble? 

Also, when is a good time to “hold the button”? I’ve seen some people saying at WO, some saying at 3-4th gear, and others saying as soon as you leave the line. Figured I’d ask someone who actually runs nitrous instead of just asking the internet. 

As for gathering info at the local track, sadly very few cars run nitrous. So, not a whole lot of people to talk to.

Thanks again.

A 50 shot will be fine. If you use a microswitch it'll activate at wot when the nitrous is on. If you are using a button I'd start out spraying 3rd and 4th until you get comfortable with it.

Depending on how good the track is determines how I'll spray mine, on a really good prepped track I'll leave on the nitrous on a not so good track I'll spray the last half.

Edited by Scott8950