Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Cinderbug Hot Rod

Calling this one done. Literally off the bench this afternoon, so even the glue behind the headlight lenses is still drying, and this picture shows way more dust than I noticed when I took the pictures, but I was in a rush before the sun set. I almost packed this one up and put it away a few times, as I have issues with the paint, and the third time was going to be the last. It is an old can of Testors Red Hot Candy over gold, and I was on the fence about polishing out the paint as there are a couple spots that I thought would be covered by decals, which I decided not to use, so this will certainly be no contest winner, but I am pretty pleased with it as a shelf model. 

I scratch built the shaft driven magneto (mostly hidden by the headers), most all "chrome" is Spaztix as this old kit was laden with seems and misalignments, parts box wheels and headers, AMT tire pack tires, Tamiya braided hose. For those interested, the in process pics can be found here.

Cinder16.thumb.jpg.3bb004e84c7a86f685838270a6627e3b.jpgCinder10.thumb.jpg.6cc64cd3ba0db2498fbd68d3fc591516.jpgCinder7.thumb.jpg.b717e9ad983a341748685582b3115f37.jpgCinder3.thumb.jpg.8b4c82948d1aa01508cc805f12c33095.jpgCinder2.thumb.jpg.229e7fd5b2d4c987261f6dd69ef8eaf5.jpg

Cinder5.jpg

Cinder15.jpg

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
  • Like 2

Even with all the issues with the paint the final finish looks great. These Show Rod type builds are always interesting and this one looks as if it could even be driven. I was wondering about the engine in this, it looks like a Dual Overhead Cam of some sort. Was this in the kit or something you put together ?  This build looks very cleanly put together. 

Thanks everyone! I am still on the fence about putting on more decals. I paid someone to recreate them from a scan of the originals as they were too far gone to use. The word Cinderbug was to go on the sides, but would be covered by the ladder on one side, and just above the axe on the other. I felt it looked a bit "too much". I have also broken the bird off the grill twice, may leave it off and leave only the wings. It may be the most fragile thing I have ever put on a model. 

6 hours ago, espo said:

(snip) I was wondering about the engine in this, it looks like a Dual Overhead Cam of some sort. Was this in the kit or something you put together ?  This build looks very cleanly put together. 

David, that is the kit Frontenac motor, almost identical to what is in the Fruit Wagon. I ground the molded in water house from the left side, added one off the front of the motor (which cannot be seen so turned out to be unnecessary) 

image.png.70fd5b4aa5fa960b9c18a4b5fb3c1d77.pngimage.png.fe93341f222a1ff8f1cfc21c0a642d3f.pngimage.png.b00cfad234cd908939d6349a9c25d72e.pngimage.png.4e96956f2b592d6c9de48545c74d0123.png

Exhaust that came with the kit, would not actually fit once the motor was in place, scrapped it and went with the unit above. This picture shows a better view of the shaft driven magneto and water pump, which almost cannot be seen in the final model. 

image.png.67a91214446aa523cafddd581910fe13.pngimage.png.5ec657b731b0d72afdd7eb50b79697e5.png

Edited by Modelbuilder Mark
spellin kerections

I didn't see the engine at first....there's just so much that's so nice. After seeing your pictures of the engine, I looked at your fotki page. Without a doubt one of the nicest Frontenac's ever. I'd love to see a step by step with instructions. Now I need to find a Frontenac to use on a project. I never expected to see one so nice.

45 minutes ago, iBorg said:

I didn't see the engine at first....there's just so much that's so nice. After seeing your pictures of the engine, I looked at your fotki page. Without a doubt one of the nicest Frontenac's ever. I'd love to see a step by step with instructions. Now I need to find a Frontenac to use on a project. I never expected to see one so nice.

Thank you sir, I know there is a Frontenac in the AMT Fruit Wagon, but it is missing some of the hope up parts. I THINK there is also one in the Mod Rod double kit reissue. 

4 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Thanks everyone! I am still on the fence about putting on more decals. I paid someone to recreate them from a scan of the originals as they were too far gone to use. The word Cinderbug was to go on the sides, but would be covered by the ladder on one side, and just above the axe on the other. I felt it looked a bit "too much". I have also broken the bird off the grill twice, may leave it off and leave only the wings. It may be the most fragile thing I have ever put on a model. 

David, that is the kit Frontenac motor, almost identical to what is in the Fruit Wagon. I ground the molded in water house from the left side, added one off the front of the motor (which cannot be seen so turned out to be unnecessary) 

image.png.70fd5b4aa5fa960b9c18a4b5fb3c1d77.pngimage.png.fe93341f222a1ff8f1cfc21c0a642d3f.pngimage.png.b00cfad234cd908939d6349a9c25d72e.pngimage.png.4e96956f2b592d6c9de48545c74d0123.png

Exhaust that came with the kit, would not actually fit once the motor was in place, scrapped it and went with the unit above. This picture shows a better view of the shaft driven magneto and water pump, which cannot almost not be seen in the final model. 

image.png.67a91214446aa523cafddd581910fe13.pngimage.png.5ec657b731b0d72afdd7eb50b79697e5.png

A lot of added detail to this engine. I'll have to try building one like this in the future. 

Mod Rod, has a Model B Banger engine with an overhead cam head, and Twin carbs. the O.H.C. Unit is very very 1920s. All versions of the '27 T kit have the O.H.C. Option parts, even the Police Car. Sadly the Fruitwagon is based on the AMT '25 T kit, and has only stock engine parts.

You did a 5 star job on your hopped up engine.

22 hours ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Thank you sir, I know there is a Frontenac in the AMT Fruit Wagon, but it is missing some of the hope up parts. I THINK there is also one in the Mod Rod double kit reissue. 

Actually, there isn't a Frontenac in either of the kits you mention, but just about every AMT 27 Model T Touring kit will have one. Dates all the way back to the old 27 T/ XR-6 double kit from 1963.

BTW, BEAUTIFUL JOB! Love it. Now I want one, and thanks to your gorgeous build there will probably be a run on eBay for them (if there are any listed). Round 2 should see if they can reissue that.

7 hours ago, Dave Darby said:

Actually, there isn't a Frontenac in either of the kits you mention, but just about every AMT 27 Model T Touring kit will have one. Dates all the way back to the old 27 T/ XR-6 double kit from 1963.

BTW, BEAUTIFUL JOB! Love it. Now I want one, and thanks to your gorgeous build there will probably be a run on eBay for them (if there are any listed). Round 2 should see if they can reissue that.

11 hours ago, alexis said:

Mod Rod, has a Model B Banger engine with an overhead cam head, and Twin carbs. the O.H.C. Unit is very very 1920s. All versions of the '27 T kit have the O.H.C. Option parts, even the Police Car. Sadly the Fruitwagon is based on the AMT '25 T kit, and has only stock engine parts.

You did a 5 star job on your hopped up engine.

AH, my mistake, I was thinking of the block as I was comparing and deciding whether of not to use that one or the one from the Cinderbug kit. Each block has it's highs and lows. I did not check the rest of the parts. 

Thank you both, and thanks to everyone for the very kind words. It was a very fun build, despite providing extreme frustration at times.  I try to do at least one a year, but the last few have been box stock to keep in line with my childhood. This one was a bit more work, but also more rewarding. 

image.png