Model Cars Magazine Forum

How have you guys been dealing with the "new" Bare Metal Foil?

8 hours ago, Theo said:

Hi all,

Nothing to add to the list of issues with the new CHROME. 

One thing that has partially alleviated some of the adhesion issue is a thin brush coat of Future over the finished foil job.  The new stuff does hold its shape given how thick it is, so if you can get it to hold in place the Future coat does seem to hold in in place.

That is what I have been doing as well. If I can get it to stay down on its own just long enough, a coat of Future seals it (and any decals) down.

17 hours ago, Theo said:

Hi all,

Nothing to add to the list of issues with the new CHROME. 

One thing that has partially alleviated some of the adhesion issue is a thin brush coat of Future over the finished foil job.  The new stuff does hold its shape given how thick it is, so if you can get it to hold in place the Future coat does seem to hold in in place.

Great idea...  need to give it a shot as I have a few packs of newer BMF I'd like to use up.

As for what I have been "doing", I have been using some of my older stock/stash of the good stuff for smaller parts where I need the adhesion, and the foil to really form fit. I use the newer not as good stuff for larger items, such as side trim, or window trim. Still have issues, but better to save what I have left of the good stuff for the smaller bits. 

• Like 1

Just a silly thought…has anyone tried using the foil from a pack of cigarettes? I know back in high school some of us delinquents would gently heat the foil with a lighter to separate it from the paper. Then it could be burnished down nicely on a desktop, no adhesive required.😈 It is super thin stuff! I quit smoking over 25 years ago, so I can’t do a test.😬

Edit: I have no affiliation with any tobacco company and do not condone the use of any tobacco products! 🤪

Edited by NOBLNG

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Just a silly thought…has anyone tried using the foil from a pack of cigarettes? I know back in high school some of us delinquents would gently heat the foil with a lighter to separate it from the paper. Then it could be burnished down nicely on a desktop, no adhesive required.😈 It is super thin stuff! I quit smoking over 25 years ago, so I can’t do a test.😬

Edit: I have no affiliation with any tobacco company and do not condone the use of any tobacco products! 🤪

Cool stuff, but unfortunately most of the ciggie pack foil I've seen is textured rather then smooth. Years ago I saved several samples from friends who used to smoke cigs, as I thought there were potential applications for it, such as some side trim , or heat shields around turbos, etc.. I have some in silver, gold, and even metallic blue. The Micro Scale foil adhesive works great for this stuff.

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I also use Future over the foil.  I asked a question a while back to any matte finish foil users.....does the matte foil maybe stick better????

The Matte Aluminum does seem stick better and, to me, seems unchanged compared to older Matte Aluminum.

I gave up on using BMF. Now I use masking tape and airbrush Molotov Chrome. Stick in my dehumidifier for a couple hours. Which makes the Molotov very hard and durable. I experimented using my dehumidifier  because if it can dry Testors enamel paint it could certainly Molotov. It does work.

Mike

59 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Mike, masking and spraying the Molotow sounds good but, there are some curves and areas that would be hard to do (well at least for me). Also, what happens if you get a bit of bleed thru? I sure would hate to mess up a good paint job. 

Not only that, but as has been discussed before, nobody knows what the long term viability of Molotow is.

Could be great.

Could be that it turns into cr*p in a few years.

I have models in my collection that I foiled more than 25 years ago that look as good as the day that I did them.

Who knows what 25 years will do to Molotow.

Steve

13 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Not only that, but as has been discussed before, nobody knows what the long term viability of Molotow is.

Could be great.

Could be that it turns into cr*p in a few years.

I have models in my collection that I foiled more than 25 years ago that look as good as the day that I did them.

Who knows what 25 years will do to Molotow.

Steve

You are soooooo right Steve.  I have only been using it for about 4 years and the BMF still looks fine as I'm sure others will say.  

If it wasn't so da*n easy to use once you get used to it.......

I just ordered the Matte to give it a try.

Edited by TransAmMike

21 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Mike, masking and spraying the Molotow sounds good but, there are some curves and areas that would be hard to do (well at least for me). Also, what happens if you get a bit of bleed thru? I sure would hate to mess up a good paint job. 

I make very sure that the masking job is perfect  as I can. I make sure that the tape is burnished . As for curves I tape 2 knifes blades together and cut  out thin strips from the masking tape. Using them as a base line burnish then mask again following the curve. Also airbrushing the Molotov in thin layers reduces any chance of bleed thru. 

IMG_1232.JPG

19 minutes ago, Mike 1017 said:

I make very sure that the masking job is perfect  as I can. I make sure that the tape is burnished . As for curves I tape 2 knifes blades together and cut  out thin strips from the masking tape. Using them as a base line burnish then mask again following the curve. Also airbrushing the Molotov in thin layers reduces any chance of bleed thru. 

IMG_1232.JPG

Thanks Mike,  good info. I may brave it sometime.

5 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

As for curves I tape 2 knifes blades together and cut  out thin strips from the masking tape. Using them as a base line burnish then mask again following the curve.

Why don't you just get an Excel Dual Strip Cutter? It doesn't look like you're getting any uniformity in width using that contraption.

Amazon.com: Excel Blades 30608 Dual Strip Cutter, Dual Twin Blade Knife  Parallel Number 59 Blades, Adjustable Width Strip Cutter, Cutting Tool for  Paper, Clay etc

Just a note here. I recieved the matte BMF I ordered from Amazon. It came in folded in half in a padded envelope and was pretty wrinkled🙄 so it's going back for a replacement.

But, I cut a strip off and did the top windshield trim on a spare body and wow, it stuck like mad. The excess was a bear to get off.  The bad is it definately is matte and not close to chrome. Probably wouldn't be too noticable in pictures but for those looking for an authentic look it's not for you.  My usual 2-cents Guys😄

I once ran out of the regular chrome and had a sheet of the matt foil laying around. I put some Novus 2 on a piece of an old tee shirt and carefully polished the sheet until it was shiny. Then, I buffed it out with another piece of tee shirt. I applied it and burnished it with a Q-Tip. Couldn't tell the difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

I once ran out of the regular chrome and had a sheet of the matt foil laying around. I put some Novus 2 on a piece of an old tee shirt and carefully polished the sheet until it was shiny. Then, I buffed it out with another piece of tee shirt. I applied it and burnished it with a Q-Tip. Couldn't tell the difference.

Well, it one really wants to split hairs, matte (or any) aluminum foil will never look like the original BMF Chrome.  

BMF Chrome is made from some sort of alloy of low melting temperature metals and it has a "warm" silver tone. to me it actually looks more like nickel than chrome. Nickel also has a slightly amber "warm" tone, while Chromium has a "cold" (almost bluish) tone.  Aluminum has a more whitish (or cool) tone.  So, regardless of how polished the aluminum foil is, if placed next to BMF chrome, there be a visible difference in the color.

This is also why the vacuum-metalized with aluminum ("chromed") kit parts look just like 1:1 Chromed parts - the aluminum's hue is very similar to Chrome.

The bottom line is how anal the modeler is. Some might find the hue mismatch quite acceptable, while others will not like it.

Has anyone been in contact with BMF lately? I placed an order for BMF chrome at the end of October and shortly after that their website started showing "out of stock" . I recently noticed that the site shows "In Stock" again so I've been trying to contact them to get the status on my order. None of my attempts by e-mail or phone has gotten any kind of response. Phone calls haven't gone through at all. What's your experience?