Model Cars Magazine Forum

How have you guys been dealing with the "new" Bare Metal Foil?

I haven't noticed the difference in thickness but I have noticed on the last three or four sheets I've bought that the adhesive has sucked.  Maybe if the stuff would actually stick to the surface I'd be able to see how well it conforms to fine detail but, you know...

Lately I've been leaning more toward Molotow pens. Yeah, many have pointed out "you don't know how it will look in 25 years" but in 25 years the kit chrome will be discolored, any decals will have turned brown and the tires will have melted the wheels, so I'm not terribly concerned how the Molotow will look then.  

47 minutes ago, Chuck Most said:

I haven't noticed the difference in thickness but I have noticed on the last three or four sheets I've bought that the adhesive has sucked.  Maybe if the stuff would actually stick to the surface I'd be able to see how well it conforms to fine detail but, you know...

Lately I've been leaning more toward Molotow pens. Yeah, many have pointed out "you don't know how it will look in 25 years" but in 25 years the kit chrome will be discolored, any decals will have turned brown and the tires will have melted the wheels, so I'm not terribly concerned how the Molotow will look then.  

Molotow is nice but the problem i have with it is it just flows every where.  Maybe I just used them wrong lol.

On 1/21/2022 at 8:25 PM, Dpate said:

Molotow is nice but the problem i have with it is it just flows every where.  Maybe I just used them wrong lol.

It can get away from you sometimes (I'd rather not discuss how I know... :D ) 

On the flip side, I just tried another sheet of BMF and I'm not getting the adhesion problems like I did with the last sheet. Maybe my love/hate relationship with BMF will continue for at least a little while.  

• 1 month later...

I have tried, read and looked for an conclusive answer, but I end up with more questions than answers.

For my 1/8 Jag, I need a new sheet of BMF chrome, I noticed last year that there was hardly any stock available and didn't do much with it, as I didn't need it asap. I thought to wait and order it later on.

Now that I am much closer to when I need the foil, I still can find hardly any stock of BMF within the EU and started digging. I read about the supply issues, the new, not improved chrome and the issues with the adhesion.

Still, there is no stock available in the EU, but there is now stock available on the Bare-metal site itself.

How are the experiences nowadays with the replaced chrome sheets? Is it still the same, poor performing with adhesion?, has it become better? Has there been new contact with the guys from bare-metal?

I did read Erik's thread with the alternatives, but that didn't gave me much hope either.

If the Chrome is still not all that good, would the Ultra Bright Chrome from BMF be the best choice out of 2 not so good options? ( I did find 2 sheets of UBC in the EU, sigh...)

1 hour ago, The Creative Explorer said:

I have tried, read and looked for an conclusive answer, but I end up with more questions than answers.

For my 1/8 Jag, I need a new sheet of BMF chrome, I noticed last year that there was hardly any stock available and didn't do much with it, as I didn't need it asap. I thought to wait and order it later on.

Now that I am much closer to when I need the foil, I still can find hardly any stock of BMF within the EU and started digging. I read about the supply issues, the new, not improved chrome and the issues with the adhesion.

Still, there is no stock available in the EU, but there is now stock available on the Bare-metal site itself.

How are the experiences nowadays with the replaced chrome sheets? Is it still the same, poor performing with adhesion?, has it become better? Has there been new contact with the guys from bare-metal?

I did read Erik's thread with the alternatives, but that didn't gave me much hope either.

If the Chrome is still not all that good, would the Ultra Bright Chrome from BMF be the best choice out of 2 not so good options? ( I did find 2 sheets of UBC in the EU, sigh...)

Someone said the Matt aluminum version works great just have to buff it up with a Q tip.  I actually found a pack of the “New improved” chrome at hobby town.  They only had one and I haven’t tried it yet.  Lady said it’s been there for a long time, but I still bought it lol.  I was like this stuff is big money right here.

2 hours ago, The Creative Explorer said:

would the Ultra Bright Chrome from BMF be the best choice out of 2 not so good options?

The Ultra Bright Chrome BMF is super thick; like, twice the thickness of regular BMF. 

In my experiences, the Ultra adhered quite well, but it does not like fine details (emblems and the such) and it splits/cracks if it's pulled/burnished too snugly to the surface.

For the one-eighth scale kits, you may be better off by spray painting the brightwork. I've had great results from the Krylon and Dupli-Color chrome aerosols; your results may vary (and may not be available in Europe, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Emailed BMF today and received what may be great news back from Randy!

BMF reply Re: Quality of product.

Inbox

profile_mask2.png

RANDY MASON <baremetal@comcast.net>

3:17 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Johnny,

I have been experiencing supply chain issues. I tried a different supplier to keep the product in the market. I am sorry it wasn't successful.  I have a shipment of the original foil coming in early in April. 

I would be happy to replace the foil for you. If you could please send the foil back by cutting or folding it so it fits into a First Class envelope. The mailing address is PO Box 82 Farmington, MI 48332. 

When I have the original foil, I can then ship replacement foil.

Regards,

Randy P. Mason
Bare-Metal Foil Co.
248 477-0813

• Like 2

My guess is it is a 20ft container.

I used to work for a packaging co. It was used for some packaging, lotto tickets and wrapping paper.

If I can recall it was .0005” (super thin), the rolls we got were 62” web width and had 150,000feet on them.

We usually got 25 rolls per shipment, they were around 1,800 lbs per roll.

Rog😁

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

Emailed BMF today and received what may be great news back from Randy!

BMF reply Re: Quality of product.

Inbox

profile_mask2.png

RANDY MASON <baremetal@comcast.net>

3:17 PM (1 hour ago)

to me
cleardot.gif

Hi Johnny,

I have been experiencing supply chain issues. I tried a different supplier to keep the product in the market. I am sorry it wasn't successful.  I have a shipment of the original foil coming in early in April. 

I would be happy to replace the foil for you. If you could please send the foil back by cutting or folding it so it fits into a First Class envelope. The mailing address is PO Box 82 Farmington, MI 48332. 

When I have the original foil, I can then ship replacement foil.

Regards,

Randy P. Mason
Bare-Metal Foil Co.
248 477-0813

Yeah, they are located on 8-Mile Rd. in Farmington Hills.. Right near where I work....

Being the skeptical, grumpy SOB I am, I can only wonder about these "supply chain" issues the BMF guy (and everyone else and his little dog) is blaming these days.

If my remembry is correct, people have been complaining about the garbage BMF has become...for several years.

As in...it ain't nuthin' new.  :huh:

16 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Hope he doesn't replace your sheet of bad foil with (wait for it) another sheet of bad foil! :blink:

I believe I would give the guy a fair chance and don't believe he would do that.

Have a little faith in your fellow mankind my friend!

• Like 2

I sent bout 2/3 of a sheet back (maybe a little less) I thew away about a quarter of the sheet that wasn't sticking before I started using white glue to make the foil stay.

Between a bunch of little pieces from a past good sheet and what I had already cut off the bad one I should be able to finish the car I'm doing right now.

But what a pain it has been!

I've been lucky not having to deal with any of the new "bad" BMF chrome foil.  Would any of you in this thread be willing to cut a piece of your bad BMF and mail it to me? Just fold a piece of letter size paper, but the piece of BMF in it, and put it in #11 envelope.  If you are willing to do this, PM me and I'll give you my address. I can reimburse you for the postage and if you want., for the foil.

Edited by peteski

• 4 weeks later...