Model Cars Magazine Forum

How have you guys been dealing with the "new" Bare Metal Foil?

1 hour ago, peteski said:

Hmmm.  That doesn't give me "warm and fuzzies". :(  BMF "Ultra" foil was always crappy - too stiff to work with.  Oh well, I have decent stash of the "good stuff".  At the frequency I currently build new model's I should be all set for life.

Yep, it is a bit stiff but at least it sticks like it should.  

So it is the "new improved chrome", not "bright chrome" (the stiff foil). Why not give it a quick test to see how pliable it is?  Maybe try to apply it to some leftover plastic part? Or even to some bare plastic model car body.  You can always remove it after the test.

Well as I see the invoice shows "replacement" BMF, so from that how do you know if it's actually the "new" stuff.  When Randy said he had the new stuff and I made the order the only available was Ultra Chrome which I got.  As I had said earlier, it looks more like the regular chrome and seems a bit thicker and it really sticks.  

20220420_160132.png.c819a7fac0e4d6a1a513245dd35483e5.png

4 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Well as I see the invoice shows "replacement" BMF, so from that how do you know if it's actually the "new" stuff.  When Randy said he had the new stuff and I made the order the only available was Ultra Chrome which I got.  As I had said earlier, it looks more like the regular chrome and seems a bit thicker and it really sticks.  

20220420_160132.png.c819a7fac0e4d6a1a513245dd35483e5.png

I doubt he got new "New improved chrome" stickers and just slapped them on old BMF lol.  But until someone tests it out we wont know for sure.

This stuff is different again.

It has a glossy look as a sheet but once applied it polishes out bright.

My issue is after applied no matter how you burnish it it appears and feels rough.

The foil is thin and adheres like it should.

Could not get clear pictures of the compaison to the old piece I had.

Here is a picture with some texture to show it does form over some detail.

20220427_100740-1.jpg

20220427_102252-1.jpg

Edited by OldTrucker

35 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

This stuff is different again.

It has a glossy look as a sheet but once applied it polishes out bright.

My issue is after applied no matter how you burnish it it appears and feels rough.

The foil is thin and adheres like it should.

Could not get clear pictures of the compaison to the old piece I had.

Here is a picture with some texture to show it does form over some detail.

20220427_100740-1.jpg

20220427_102252-1.jpg

Probably too much adhesive.

I've had this same sort of issue with old sheets of BMF in the past.

Steve

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Probably too much adhesive.

I've had this same sort of issue with old sheets of BMF in the past.

Steve

Steve I went and looked at some cars I have done several years back and some of them do have that issue too but not quite as rough.

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

Steve I went and looked at some cars I have done several years back and some of them do have that issue too but not quite as rough.

Yeah, it can vary quite a bit.

my experience has been that the sheets that give me the smoothest finish are the sheets that have the least adhesion, and vice versa.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I am in dire need of bare metal foil and over here in The Netherlands there is no stock whatsoever, nor in any of the surrounding country's.

Reading here that the 'old' BMF Chrome is back, was great to read! However, I am a bit skeptical I guess, about ordering the BMF from BMF, as I would be afraid for receiving the 'crappy' stock. Especially when reading that one had to order the Ultra Bright Chrome in order to receive the New Improved Chrome doesn't help.

I e-mailed Randy yesterday, but haven't gotten a reply. What are the latest experiences of ordering BMF?

Hi all,

Just opened newest purchase of chrome BMF (sticker on pack is "new improved chrome"). I ordered directly from BMF website and politely requested the newest available stock. I promptly received an email from Randy at BMF that he had just received shipment from his original supplier. About a week later package arrived. 

The product appears to be back to its prior performance and quality.  I have only used it for small interior trim so far, the fells to be back to its previous "thinness", fells to handle as it previously did, picking up subtle detail as well as ever, and no issues with adhesion.

So overall, looks like everything back to normal with BMF.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Theo said:

Hi all,

Just opened newest purchase of chrome BMF (sticker on pack is "new improved chrome"). I ordered directly from BMF website and politely requested the newest available stock. I promptly received an email from Randy at BMF that he had just received shipment from his original supplier. About a week later package arrived. 

The product appears to be back to its prior performance and quality.  I have only used it for small interior trim so far, the fells to be back to its previous "thinness", fells to handle as it previously did, picking up subtle detail as well as ever, and no issues with adhesion.

Thank you John & David!

John, did you order the chrome as one would regular order? I have some foil left, perhaps for 2 or 3 cars, but I have to do a 1:8 Jaguar and need almost one sheet alone for that car.

3 hours ago, Theo said:

Hi all,

Good to hear!

Maybe now we can put all of this foolishness behind us and move on. 😑

I’m about ready to re-order myself, but maybe I’ll wait for a few weeks until all of the craziness subsides.

Steve

Well, I talked to Randy at BMF before ordering the "new" stuff and then made an order. I had to get the Ultra because the website said out of stock on the Chrome. Someone also ordered the "new" stuff after I got my Ultra (I guess it was available then) and he said it just said Chrome on the package so we can only assume it was the "new" stuff.  And now Erik says his package says "new improved Chrome).  Seems to be some discrepancies in the labelling so we can only hope it's really the "new" foil.

At any rate, As I had posted earlier the Ultra I recieved and used sticks like a son-of-a-gun.  I actually had some trouble getting the excess off after trimming.

Just my 2 cents😀

12 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Good to hear!

Maybe now we can put all of this foolishness behind us and move on. 😑

I’m about ready to re-order myself, but maybe I’ll wait for a few weeks until all of the craziness subsides.

Steve

The BMF website shows "Chrome" but the description below the picture says "001 New Improved Chrome" . I placed an order yesterday and asked Randy to be sure , here's his reply . . . 

BMF1

I will let you know for sure when I receive my order .

Not wanting to keep this thread floating, but based on what I've been following here I went ahead and ordered a pack of 001 Chrome online just now.  Lately I've been using some of the BMF Matte Aluminum and found that it was similar in adhesive and thickness of the "old" BMF chrome.  It'll be great to go back to the original (fingers crossed)....

4 hours ago, TooOld said:

The BMF website shows "Chrome" but the description below the picture says "001 New Improved Chrome" . I placed an order yesterday and asked Randy to be sure , here's his reply . . . 

BMF1

I will let you know for sure when I receive my order .

Okay.

You talked me into it.

I just went ahead and ordered a couple of sheets right away. ;)

Steve

44 minutes ago, hedotwo said:

Not wanting to keep this thread floating, but based on what I've been following here I went ahead and ordered a pack of 001 Chrome online just now.  Lately I've been using some of the BMF Matte Aluminum and found that it was similar in adhesive and thickness of the "old" BMF chrome.  It'll be great to go back to the original (fingers crossed)....

I'll keep you posted.

As soon as I receive my order, I'll try it out and give everyone a definitive answer.

Believe me, I've used enough of this stuff to know exactly how it "should" perform. ;)

Steve 

On 5/11/2022 at 11:56 AM, The Creative Explorer said:

Thank you John & David!

John, did you order the chrome as one would regular order? I have some foil left, perhaps for 2 or 3 cars, but I have to do a 1:8 Jaguar and need almost one sheet alone for that car.

HI Erik,

Ordered as usual from the BMF website. Added my request in the "comments" section of the order.