Model Cars Magazine Forum

*1934 Slammer Modified*

Zippi

My next project is the MPC 1934 Ford Slammer Modified with no chrome trim to deal with this time.  I already had the body painted so this morning was clean up time on the 428 engine parts.  I think the bumpers and exterior bars with be painted in Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf.  I'm headed to the store today to pick up some paint for the wheels.  I'm thinking maybe a Gold Leaf but haven't decided yet.  

20211130_094552.jpg

20211130_094437.jpg

20211129_130557.jpg

Edited by Zippi

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

Cool kit but the engine is more of a Chevy big block, not a 428. Now, swap the intake heads and valve covers and it would look more acceptable as a 428.  (FYI)

I'll have to watch this one since I have not started mine yet.

Build on

Thanks for the info Andy.  

1 hour ago, Zippi said:

I ended up getting some Tamiya TS-88 Titanium Silver for the wheels.  I think they'll go good with the body color. 

20211130_114738.jpg

A little silver added to the body would make it look really sweet and bring it all together. Maybe something like this with Red and Silver? 

s-l300.jpg

9 minutes ago, Sledsel said:

A little silver added to the body would make it look really sweet and bring it all together. Maybe something like this with Red and Silver? 

s-l300.jpg

Thanks Andy.  I think I'll just leave it red and apply the decals.  

• Like 1

Hi Bob, you've made a great start already.  The wheel colour is very convincing for a racecar.  For what it is worth, I would touch the nuts and dust cap with flat black as it would not be common to see these parts chromed on a racecar.

Also, you can really improve the look of those headers without a lot of work. Buy a length of K&S aluminium tubing and saw it to about an inch long, sand the saw cuts smooth and maybe even run a knife blade around the insides to thin the edge, then cut off the plastic bits and superglue the aluminium to the headers.  This will improve the look of the collectors/side pipes immeasurably with barely ten minutes work. For a baloney slice tip, just cut them at an angle.  You can paint them with the headers or polish them up like chrome with a bit of Tamiya polish on a rag. I have about four or five of these slammer kits and did it to all of them.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alan barton
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alan barton said:

Hi Bob, you've made a great start already.  The wheel colour is very convincing for a racecar.  For what it is worth, I would touch the nuts and dust cap with flat black as it would not be common to see these parts chromed on a racecar.

Also, you can really improve the look of those headers without a lot of work. Buy a length of K&S aluminium tubing and saw it to about an inch long, sand the saw cuts smooth and maybe even run a knife blade around the insides to thin the edge, then cut off the plastic bits and superglue the aluminium to the headers.  This will improve the look of the collectors/side pipes immeasurably with barely ten minutes work. For a baloney slice tip, just cut them at an angle.  You cant paint them with the headers or polish them up like chrome with a bit of Tamiya polish on a rag. I have about four or five of these slammer kits and did it to all of them.

Cheers

Alan

Thank's Alan.  Hey that sounds pretty slick.  Have you got a pic you can show me and what size tubing did you use?  Thanks.

Edited by Zippi

Hi Bob,  here's an example with with a modified Poison Pinto body where I painted the pipe.   On the 34 I did it as a fairly showy contemporary asphalt modified so I polished the aluminium to look like chrome and used a tubing bender to put a slight curve on the end of the tip.  Those old MPC headers were so flimsy at the collector end that it is hard to make them look good working with plastic.

I can't tell you the exact size or part number for the K&S tubing but by measuring it is 5mm or about 3/16inch. 

I remember when you first started posting that you said you were just starting in model building and so far you have been building very clean basically box stock models.  If you want to start looking at ways at improving or modifying your models, can I suggest that on your next trip to the local hobby shop you buy one length of each of the sizes of K&S aluminium tubing that they offer.  My guess is that in the USA that would probably run to less than $25 for the lot.  Trust me, it will last a lifetime and you will use it for everything.  Exhausts, axles, drive shafts, steering columns, chassis cross members, custom bumpers, intakes, the sky is the limit.  It dramatically improves your models without having to do massive "cut and shuts".

Because each size perfectly telescopes inside the next size, you will find endless ways of using it.  It is great fun!

Cheers

Alan

20211201_105917.jpg

20211201_110015.jpg

20211201_110042.jpg

20211201_110245.jpg

20211201_110300.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alan barton said:

Hi Bob,  here's an example with with a modified Poison Pinto body where I painted the pipe.   On the 34 I did it as a fairly showy contemporary asphalt modified so I polished the aluminium to look like chrome and used a tubing bender to put a slight curve on the end of the tip.  Those old MPC headers were so flimsy at the collector end that it is hard to make them look good working with plastic.

I can't tell you the exact size or part number for the K&S tubing but by measuring it is 5mm or about 3/16inch. 

I remember when you first started posting that you said you were just starting in model building and so far you have been building very clean basically box stock models.  If you want to start looking at ways at improving or modifying your models, can I suggest that on your next trip to the local hobby shop you buy one length of each of the sizes of K&S aluminium tubing that they offer.  My guess is that in the USA that would probably run to less than $25 for the lot.  Trust me, it will last a lifetime and you will use it for everything.  Exhausts, axles, drive shafts, steering columns, chassis cross members, custom bumpers, intakes, the sky is the limit.  It dramatically improves your models without having to do massive "cut and shuts".

Because each size perfectly telescopes inside the next size, you will find endless ways of using it.  It is great fun!

Cheers

Alan

20211201_105917.jpg

20211201_110015.jpg

20211201_110042.jpg

20211201_110245.jpg

20211201_110300.jpg

Thank you Alan and thanks for the pics and bit of information.  I see the rack of K&S tubing everytime I go to the hobby shop.  HL also has a small amount. I'll take a look next time I'm there.  

Bob, here is HPI Guy's Build video. In the first part he shows the parts trees. I think I remember seeing the distributor and hoses. You might see if it shows them.

HPI Guy has built all 4 fits in the series. (34 Ford, 36 Chevy, 77 Pinto, 76 Vega) All his videos of them are worth watching.

19 minutes ago, alexis said:

Bob, here is HPI Guy's Build video. In the first part he shows the parts trees. I think I remember seeing the distributor and hoses. You might see if it shows them.

HPI Guy has built all 4 fits in the series. (34 Ford, 36 Chevy, 77 Pinto, 76 Vega) All his videos of them are worth watching.

Thanks Alan.  I've watched a lot of his videos.  I don't think I've ever seen him wire a distributor.  The instructions show no distributor or hoses.  I'm good to go though.  Found what I needed in the parts box.