Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1978 Ford Bronco "Wild Hoss"

Casey

10 hours ago, Smoke Wagon said:

Not only that, but with lots of optional parts too. For instance, 2.3 I4, 2.7 V6, fender flares and different bumpers and suspension lift and bigger wheels/tires (for Sasquatch package), wheel options (like base steelies), and different grilles to make different trim levels. 

Riley is exactly on point.  That is, for a kitmaker looking to derive multiple releases off a tooling set, the 2021 Bronco would seem to be to me a potential gold mine IMHO.  Now add to all that listed above, the the Bronco Raptor as just seen on a new video posted at the "Bronco Nation" website!   

TIM 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 10:43 PM, mk11 said:

The C6 trans with the transfer case can also be used behind any of those engines.

Was a manual trans available? If so, do any other 1/25 scale kits include it?

Hoping Round2 goes the extra mile and provides some Free Wheeling decals, too:

bronco-front-e1579203241194-800x500.jpg.c5d169e04bdce4960ae136ceeed84c87.jpg

1978-ford-bronco-ranger-xlt-free-wheeling-decal-pearl-paint-loaded-1.jpg.5d966fb6a659bd5ce7ad72eacbf8e507.jpg

7224-10644-151847.jpg.9cdf5094ef480f66694331142d20096b.jpg

Also acceptable, and maybe even preferable:

1261-1874-193219.jpg.39a4b9a620c065c960d200c043cc362e.jpg

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 8:41 PM, Jordan White said:

At least it appears the Bronco wheels are better than the ones in the F350 kit, they actually have visible lug nuts!

I did an eBay completed items search and found this vintage Wild Hoss kit, and the wagon wheels have lug nuts and hubs/caps with nice detail:

WildHossWagonWheels.jpg.fd3a092e2c5761d1e86030c303d6114b.jpg

I don't know of the Model King release included the above wheels with full detail (I would assume so), but it will be nice to have them easily available again.

12 minutes ago, Casey said:

I did an eBay completed items search and found this vintage Wild Hoss kit, and the wagon wheels have lug nuts and hubs/caps with nice detail:

WildHossWagonWheels.jpg.fd3a092e2c5761d1e86030c303d6114b.jpg

I don't know of the Model King release included the above wheels with full detail (I would assume so), but it will be nice to have them easily available again.

I told ya they were nice, Casey.😉

20 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I told ya they were nice, Casey.😉

You did. 😁 

Have you tried fitting them inside other kit or aftermarket tires? I'm guessing the former Gates XT Commando (now Firestone something-or-other) tires will again be included, but it'd be good to have other options lined up when the kit arrives.

Also, does the grille have the 'temple' (best word I could think of to describe them) depressions like the 1:1 grille does? I can't tell from the images already posted in this topic.

Edited by Casey

1 minute ago, Casey said:

You did. 😁 

Have you tried fitting them inside other kit or aftermarket tires? I'm guessing the former Gates XT Commando (now Firestone something-or-other) tires will again be included, but it'd be good to have other options lined up when the kit arrives.

I used the old MPC Desert Dogs on mine so I'd say any tire that fits a regular kit wheel will work.

6 hours ago, Casey said:

You did. 😁 

Also, does the grille have the 'temple' (best word I could think of to describe them) depressions like the 1:1 grille does? I can't tell from the images already posted in this topic.

I used the Desert Dogs just like Steve did and they fit well.  I don't remember if I tried any others or not.  The grille does have those depressions on the sides, too.  Shameless plug but here's the one I built several years ago with the Deluxe Two Tone paint scheme.  I, too, would love it if Round 2 would be gracious enough to create and provide the Free Wheeling decals.  That is such an iconic look.

2v29smvTGxAKN8F.jpg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Casey said:

My first ride (home from the hospital) was in a '79 with a four speed. They could be had with a Borg Warner T18 or a New Process 435. I think my dad's had the T18. 

13 hours ago, Casey said:

Hoping Round2 goes the extra mile and provides some Free Wheeling decals, too:

bronco-front-e1579203241194-800x500.jpg.c5d169e04bdce4960ae136ceeed84c87.jpg

A guy might be able to adapt the look at least from these decals made by Ray...

DSCN0377.JPG.c47af9f9f1ed7c8da20a0778eed009ff.JPG

...but I don't know that I've ever seen the factory four speed for these ever done in scale. Maybe a guy could reshape the auxiliary trans from one of the semi kits.

As far as those 'temple' depressions, I'm not sure what you mean, Casey. The grill is fairly nice with the open center section, but to my eyes the headlights are sunken in too far, the grill bars need some thinning and the signal lights are a tad too tall.

i tried to make the free wheeling ford decals myself when i was building the bronco. i for the life of me couldnt get a good enough quality that i was willing to use them. i had them right sized when i printed it, just they looked terrible. there was no blending of the colors, just here is red, here is orange.

20 hours ago, Casey said:

You did. 😁 

Did you have a specific tire in mind? I have a vast selection of tires (Kit and aftermarket) and those wheels so I could do some mock ups if you give me an idea of which ones you were thinking of?

14 hours ago, bogger44 said:

I used the Desert Dogs just like Steve did and they fit well.  I don't remember if I tried any others or not.  The grille does have those depressions on the sides, too.  Shameless plug but here's the one I built several years ago with the Deluxe Two Tone paint scheme.  I, too, would love it if Round 2 would be gracious enough to create and provide the Free Wheeling decals.  That is such an iconic look.

2v29smvTGxAKN8F.jpg

Wow! Nice job on that one that tire/wheel combo looks good!

10 hours ago, mk11 said:

A guy might be able to adapt the look at least from these decals made by Ray...

DSCN0377.JPG.c47af9f9f1ed7c8da20a0778eed009ff.JPG

...but I don't know that I've ever seen the factory four speed for these ever done in scale. Maybe a guy could reshape the auxiliary trans from one of the semi kits.

As far as those 'temple' depressions, I'm not sure what you mean, Casey. The grill is fairly nice with the open center section, but to my eyes the headlights are sunken in too far, the grill bars need some thinning and the signal lights are a tad too tall.

I sent a message to that Ray, and he told me he would get those orange ones on his ebay store in time for the re-release of this kit. get ready for a big shipping fee, they come all the way from the Netherlands! 😮

Edited by Mike C.

I built this kit twice over the years. First the Matchbox version as a kid, that one is long gone. But I liked it so much that I bought and built another one about twenty years ago. I changed the tires for the MPC ones, just like others did, and it is a real enhancement. I remember also that I slightly upgraded the chassis parts. I detailed the leaf springs and made the front axle steerable. I also made the spare tire mount movable. I think the rest (engine, body) is more or less out of the box. In my opinion it is a great kit even without my slight upgrades and I was very happy with the result and it made a lot of fun. It built up quite well, although I had problems with a warped bed cover. Here is an old photo of my build, obviously inspired by the box art. The details are so much better than on the F-350 pickups. Especially the grille is much better compared to the 78 F-350 version. I tried to fit the grille into the F-350 but forgot the results. At least I remember it was not a drop in. Requires a little work, but seems doable.

2146292649_78Bronco.jpg.132471e5b5034e1fbaf06cb42cc38a6a.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JS23U said:

I built this kit twice over the years. First the Matchbox version as a kid, that one is long gone. But I liked it so much that I bought and built another one about twenty years ago. I changed the tires for the MPC ones, just like others did, and it is a real enhancement. I remember also that I slightly upgraded the chassis parts. I detailed the leaf springs and made the front axle steerable. I also made the spare tire mount movable. I think the rest (engine, body) is more or less out of the box. In my opinion it is a great kit even without my slight upgrades and I was very happy with the result and it made a lot of fun. It built up quite well, although I had problems with a warped bed cover. Here is an old photo of my build, obviously inspired by the box art. The details are so much better than on the F-350 pickups. Especially the grille is much better compared to the 78 F-350 version. I tried to fit the grille into the F-350 but forgot the results. At least I remember it was not a drop in. Requires a little work, but seems doable.

2146292649_78Bronco.jpg.132471e5b5034e1fbaf06cb42cc38a6a.jpg

Jens....that is a really sharp buildup of the AMT kit.  Congrats!   TIM 

2 hours ago, JS23U said:

John Shoe: Yes I do. You can read Mopar VINs... ?! ;)

I certainly do. When I noticed  JS23U  and I knew it had to be a 1970 R/T ( the "U" = 440 Magnum , which was only available for 1970 in the Challenger and its Plymouth relative 'Cuda ) . 

What's its plant code ?  "B" = Hamtramck [ Detroit ]  ; "E" = Los Angeles [ City Of Commerce ] .

On 12/5/2021 at 6:12 AM, tim boyd said:

Then the second Arab oil embargo hit in mid-1979, and all of a sudden, no dealer anywhere wanted a Bronco.  I became a field manager myself in k`August 1979, and over the next two years had to put on my very best-selling shoes to even get one of my dealers to consider stocking a Bronco, even though the second gen (1980 and beyond) Bronco was a huge step ahead of the previous one.  

Ford's timing wasn't that great in the 70's, had the right product but at the wrong time.  This was also true for the F 350 Super Camper Special with a 460 that came out around the time of the first embargo in '74.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, leafsprings said:

Ford's timing wasn't that great in the 70's, had the right product but at the wrong time.

Ford was actually pretty on the ball with most of its new products released in the 70’s, Mustang II, Pinto, downsized T Bird, ‘79 Mustang, Fairmont, etc. Most of their bigger models still proved popular for the time as well.