Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT 1978 Ford Bronco "Wild Hoss"

Casey

admittedly, i am a model hoarder. i ordered a total of 3 of these kits. the last time i built this, i needed 2 kits to get it right. here is what i found based on my earlier comments.

the glass, all 3 kits have the exact same glass scratch lines, and i mean exactly the same. they have the same curve to it. i suspect its in the mold or something with how its being released or packaged, i dont know. 

the body being pushed out, only happened on the first kit. the others are fine.  i am not sure how this happens, but i guess i will use that first kit as a junker if i cant get the body squared.

the dirt on the hood and other parts. the first kit has a lot of dirt, on the hood and interior and other pieces. the second kit had none at all. its perfect. the third had a little dirt, and only on a couple of pieces. nothing like the first

on the bottom of the box, they all have 03/03/2022 as the molded date. i have seen in the past, with amt kits, that sometimes an issue will appear. i have bought and returned 4 of the 1978 ford pickup kit all with the same molded date, and they all had the same  serious warping issue on the bed pieces. finally i went to a different store, and they had a newer mold date and that was OK.  could be coincidence. i am curious if a later mold date will have no issues on the glass

the chrome is perfect on all the kits. if anyone is interested in pictures side by side, i can do it, but only people care. 

42 minutes ago, MrMiles said:

It's on the bottom of the box under the bar code

Currently they would all have the same date, It's not a manufactured-on date.  It's considered a run started date I believe.   Once there is a re-order, they will get a new date. 

-Steve

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maindrian Pace said:

Just got one in. Slightly warped body (I can fix that with the hot water/cold water treatment) circular mark on one of the green decals (don't care) one of the unchromed wheels has a melted looking center cap (bummer) Overall not bad but it could have been better. Still, I'm happy to have one.

So long as you recover Parnelli Jones's Oly Bronco then all's well.

2 hours ago, Matt T. said:

Great looking Bronco! Where did you get those tires? 

The smaller Desert Dogs (there are also larger ones) come with various kits. There used to be an aftermarket outfit that made the same ones, but I believe they are no longer in business.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt T. said:

Yes. Same as the Super Stones pickup too. 

Thankfully there are places like Fireball Modelworks with their offering of off road tires and hopefully Danny at Scenes Unlimited gets back up and running soon so we have his tires and wheels to choose from as well.

Those Desert Dogs were in most 80's MPC truck kits as well as their Jeep CJ-5 kits and should be easily found.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link. It looks like they are still making the smaller Desert Dogs. Might have to order a set or 2, Nice steelies also as well as some nice Torq Thrusts. I notice no Goodyear Polyglas. What is it that nobody wants to touch the Polyglas? Licensing costs maybe?

Edited by Mike C.

1 hour ago, Mike C. said:

Thanks for the link. It looks like they are still making the smaller Desert Dogs. Might have to order a set or 2, Nice steelies also as well as some nice Torq Thrusts. I notice no Goodyear Polyglas. What is it that nobody wants to touch the Polyglas? Licensing costs maybe?

Fireball has generic bias ply tires that look pretty close to the Polyglas tires, and he has the white letter decals as well for them.