Model Cars Magazine Forum

TRACK 29: inspired by Carlos Lara's june 2000 Street Rodder Mag cover car

Claude Thibodeau

HI!

Mostly inspired by the famous Street Rodder cover car... with a few personnal preferences!

A mash-up of various leftover parts: Revell's 32 Ford frame , rad & shell,, Jag XK-120 engine, MT's Challenger quickchange center section, Monogram's Blue Bandito cab & suspensions, 41 Lincoln front seat, all extensiveny modified. Mucho scratchbuilt: frame xmembers, gas tank, firewall, floor, steering column, door panels, windshield glass, etc. Testor's Purplelicious lacquer + Mr, Hobby Super Clear - fully polished. Pegasus wheels, Molotow's chrome. 

A friend of mine, who's a watch repair man, rightfully told me: "the smaller they are, the harder it is to work on them". So true...

So much styrene, so little time! 

CT 

DSC01300 (2).JPG

DSC01314 (2).JPG

DSC01312 (2).JPG

DSC01316 (2).JPG

DSC01317 (2).JPG

DSC01324 (2).JPG

DSC01313 (2).JPG

DSC01308 (2).JPG

DSC01323 (2).JPG

DSC01327 (2).JPG

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tim boyd said:

Claude....oh man, how tasty that bad boy is!  Be still my heart!  Huge congrats on your creativity and execution. 

Best...TIM 

Thank you Sir!

This is the project that would never end... It is so delicate, that any adjustment or tweak was almost perillous at times. But ultimately, it made it to the finish line. But, now that I look at the pictures, I realize I forgot the licence plate!?!  Will have to fix that before the next show! 

Happy you like it!

Regards,

CT 

Although not into hot rods myself, I can appreciate the work that goes into them especially that you cannot hide anything, every detail must be right. Having seen some of your builds, it's safe to say that you are dedicated to your craft as it shows through your models and creativity. Felicitations from a fellow Canadian.

10 minutes ago, happy grumpy said:

Although not into hot rods myself, I can appreciate the work that goes into them especially that you cannot hide anything, every detail must be right. Having seen some of your builds, it's safe to say that you are dedicated to your craft as it shows through your models and creativity. Felicitations from a fellow Canadian.

Hi Mario!

Thank you for the comments. Hope to see you soon when the shows finally return!

Salutations,

CT 

1 minute ago, TransAmMike said:

Well Claude, that certainly is unique. Great work👍

Hi  Mike!

Thank you. I know famed modeler Pat Dunnivan built an EXACT replica of the car years ago. It was seen often in the model press. Mine is just a "personnal take" on the subject. The real car was dark green, for instance. So I took liberties along the way. 

CT 

6 minutes ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi  Mike!

Thank you. I know famed modeler Pat Dunnivan built an EXACT replica of the car years ago. It was seen often in the model press. Mine is just a "personnal take" on the subject. The real car was dark green, for instance. So I took liberties along the way. 

CT 

Well it sure looks great!!

Just a sweet little ride Claude!  Nothing wrong with taking “a few little liberties”, and making it your own.  That is my preferred approach.  Replicas are challenging in their own right for sure, but originality has its place as well.

As for your watchmaker friend, he is absolutely correct.  I see lots of guys going to larger scale and cramming as much detail in as they can, but the jewel like appearance of the smaller scale still impresses me the most. 

Edited by foghorn62

2 hours ago, foghorn62 said:

Just a sweet little ride Claude!  Nothing wrong with taking “a few little liberties”, and making it your own.  That is my preferred approach.  Replicas are challenging in their own right for sure, but originality has its place as well.

As for your watchmaker friend, he is absolutely correct.  I see lots of guys going to larger scale and cramming as much detail in as they can, but the jewel like appearance of the smaller scale still impresses me the most. 

Hi Tim!

Thanks for the comments. To your point about larger scales: I too have friends that are more at ease with bigger models, claimin exactly that they cram in  more details than they would otherwise. Fine with me. But... I keep poking fun at them, saying that therefore, their work must be "absolutely spotless". It usually makes them laugh!

I've seen your builds, and I for one know how creative you are. I applaud that. By the way, on the subject of creativity...congrats about your custom Camino that was featured in Contest Cars 2021. It is well deserved!

Regards,

CT 

3 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

...congrats about your custom Camino that was featured in Contest Cars 2021. It is well deserved!

Right backatcha CT!  It was no surprise to see Streetza Pizza prominently featured in that same issue.  I just love that build!  Makes me hungry every time I see it!

TS

Hi Claude!! Awesome stuff as always sir. Another tasty mash up from the house of Claude. If memory serves me correct, there should be 3 more on the bench??… As you know I love your builds. BTW, that would look REALLY good here in beautiful Victoria at the duece days show in July, just sayin….. You may want to book a hotel.

Cheers, Steve

That looks great!I That car inspired me too when it was featured and started one myself a number of years ago (I'm really good at starting projects 😋) I used mostly stuff from my parts inventory, some scratch built items, Pegasus wheels and was trying a couple of different resin track noses. 

Again outstanding build!! Thanks for a bump for inspiration!