Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris CBP 2022

Jantrix

So, I don’t have the kit yet, but I think my plan is the ESCI/Italeri Mercedes 450SLC. It was made from 1971 to 1979 basically unchanged. So the kit is labeled as either a 1976 or a 1979, but it will work as a 1972 and fit the rules. 
The kit is also a “Rally” version so it has a lot of good parts for the P2P. 

65E23912-0B8C-4D4F-B787-DC9B319CEBB4.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Oldmopars said:

So, I don’t have the kit yet, but I think my plan is the ESCI/Italeri Mercedes 450SLC. It was made from 1971 to 1979 basically unchanged. So the kit is labeled as either a 1976 or a 1979, but it will work as a 1972 and fit the rules. 
The kit is also a “Rally” version so it has a lot of good parts for the P2P. 

65E23912-0B8C-4D4F-B787-DC9B319CEBB4.jpeg

Oh, that looks perfect for this!  I look forward to seeing this one. 

On 12/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, Oldmopars said:

Am I understanding this correct, a Ranchero or El Camino would not be allowed?

If that is the case, I’m left with a 64 Cutlass Convertable, 53 Ford Convertible, 64 Belvedere or a 71 Mustang. At this point I think I will use the 71 Mustang as it is a POS kit and uninspiring for any other use. 

This is in the real deal rules so I guess it should apply here, "All cars must be of a type exclusively designed to carry passengers with either saloon or sports bodywork. Estate cars and station wagons may be considered but any commercial or military vehicles such as light trucks, vans, ambulances, pickups and utility 4x4 vehicles are not eligible."

7 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

If this thing is going to go for a year, I'll give it a shot.

Early '50s Studebaker, either a bullet-nose or a Loewy coupe, or maybe a '60s Lark.

Oh, that would be great to see one in P to P trim.  There have also been a couple of Larks.  Have fun with it!

Photo: 51 Studebaker Starlite Coupe | Andy Vann Peking to Paris 2007 and  Carrera Copacabana album | ALABAMA AUTO RACING PIONEERS | Fotki.com, photo  and video sharing made easy.

5 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Ok , I was going to build a '51 Chevy but have changed my mind. Just not happy with kit , the only thing I like is the body. So it's getting a Nascar chassis and slammed.

20211217_042704.thumb.jpg.5724cdb03bc88ae24e38f7ed78d622f7.jpg

So I've decided to do a '40 Ford instead. 

20211217_042923.thumb.jpg.7e6ce54e411163c400f5062b99e1e9a9.jpg

Nice choice.  You see a fair amount of 40's and 50's cars entered.  More than likely because they are readily available(cheap), lots of vintage parts available, and easy to fix when they break down in the middle of Mongolia.   That and the flathead is a bullet proof engine!

30 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Came across this photo of my dad (the youngster). That car went everywhere, so a Model A with a flathead wouldn't be an unreasonable choice.

1218260072_DadTeenHunting_web.jpg.27b33037150e05848b9acd4cfacdb58d.jpg

Growing up, my father restored Model A’s in the early 70’s. They are fantastic cars and very capable off road with those tall tires and light weight. They are also very reliable and easy to fix if they do break. Great choice. 

I wasn't going to do any group builds as in recent years my completion record has been awful, but I'm in. The idea of the Peking to Paris race is too good to pass on, and since it is very unlikely I could ever do the real race I can at least do it in scale.

I not only didn't finish last time but I barely even got started beyond the planning stages. To add insult to injury I haven't built anything since then so to find that was 3 years ago really hurts. That does explain the cobwebs at the model bench (sadly not joking). Maybe this is the push to clear the bench and build something.

I'll go with a Model T again as I at least had a lot of fun planning it out.

8 hours ago, Lunajammer said:

Came across this photo of my dad (the youngster). That car went everywhere, so a Model A with a flathead wouldn't be an unreasonable choice.

1218260072_DadTeenHunting_web.jpg.27b33037150e05848b9acd4cfacdb58d.jpg

There are actually a couple of Model As that have completed the real race. Gravel roads were a luxury in those days so probably nothing new for a lot of those old cars.

Okay modelers.  The P 2 P placard decals are ready to go.  Two choices: I have printed up a fair number of them and they are free.

#1-  If you would like a set of 4, PM me with your mailing address and I will drop them in the mail. 

#2- If you are concerned about giving out your mailing address, PM me with your email address and I will send you the same JPEG file that I used to print mine.  

Either way you will get what you see below at no charge.  Yes, I will pay the postage. 

Pete

P toP individual 2022 plaque 24th scale sized.jpg

Edited by Pete J.

7 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Okay modelers.  The P 2 P placard decals are ready to go.  Two choices: I have printed up a fair number of them and they are free.

#1-  If you would like a set of 4, PM me with your mailing address and I will drop them in the mail. 

#2- If you are concerned about giving out your mailing address, PM me with your email address and I will send you the same JPEG file that I used to print mine.  

Either way you will get what you see below at no charge.  Yes, I will pay the postage. 

Pete

P toP individual 2022 plaque 24th scale sized.jpg

Thanks for doing this again Pete!

I'm entering a Karmann Ghia, built using the Tamiya 1966 Beetle kit.

I had to wait until I got a successful print, and then had to see if it was usable, as I've never printed a model body before.

At first I printed the whole body but broke it trying to remove the supports.

Then I cut the file in half in Meshmixer and printed it in halves and then glued them together. It came out smoother because I used a smaller nozzle and better quality settings.

I wound up making it a convertible when I realized I didn't have a rear glass. I cut the windshield from one I had in the parts box.

My entry in the last P2P was a convertible too. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!

IMG_20211221_190157381.jpg

KG Printed Body.jpg

IMG_20211221_080319009.jpg

IMG_20211221_105602498.jpg

IMG_20211221_105617666.jpg

Edited by MeatMan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I'm entering a Karmann Ghia, built using the Tamiya 1966 Beetle kit.

I had to wait until I got a successful print, and then had to see if it was usable, as I've never printed a model body before.

At first I printed the whole body but broke it trying to remove the supports.

Then I cut the file in half in Meshmixer and printed it in halves and then glued them together. It came out smoother because I used a smaller nozzle and better quality settings.

I wound up making it a convertible when I realized I didn't have a rear glass. I cut the windshield from one I had in the parts box.

My entry in the last P2P was a convertible too. Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!

IMG_20211221_190157381.jpg

KG Printed Body.jpg

IMG_20211221_080319009.jpg

IMG_20211221_105602498.jpg

IMG_20211221_105617666.jpg

I was a bit confused about why you chose to print this out when Tamiya makes a karmann ghia kit and then I went online and saw they were selling for $75 to $150!  Yup, I get it.  I know why you chose to print it.  Nice job by the way.  Interested to see how this progresses.  Keep posting.  

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I was a bit confused about why you chose to print this out when Tamiya makes a karmann ghia kit and then I went online and saw they were selling for $75 to $150!  Yup, I get it.  I know why you chose to print it.  Nice job by the way.  Interested to see how this progresses.  Keep posting.  

Yep, I was incredibly lucky when I scored one for $43+shipping earlier this year. I don't know why they haven't reissued this kit for so long.

3 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

Yep, I was incredibly lucky when I scored one for $43+shipping earlier this year. I don't know why they haven't reissued this kit for so long.

You got me thinking about this and I decided to check my inventory. I have one that I paid $27 for NIB.  Yes, I have a spreadsheet with all my models and what I paid for them and no, my wife has never seen it!  Perhaps it is time to bust some of these out and sell them to boost my retirement. ;-0

Ok I'll play.

I was originally going to do this for the Cannonball Run "Year of your Birth" group build but since I switched builds, a couple of times, I'll use the 1971 Nissan Skyline for the P2P group build.

Starting with, Tamiya's Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R street custom. The kit is pretty much the same as the regular Hard Top version but has the Watanabe wheels, which I like better, but I'm not sure if they are actually correct for that era or more modern. I will research it and if they are out of era I'll just switch to some steelies. Also the custom kit comes with some PE and "racing seats" with racing harness' so makes the upgrade worth the few extra $$.

24335_a__79483.1491320351.jpg.1e26cda9b23f89343e15c3ae0667c1b7.jpg

Not sure on what colour to go with, likely silver as it just looks good on these cars, no matter the era of them. Also, the silver will make the extra details pop. 

35315910-770-0@2X.jpg.a76c8cb88782258da175813b3c1b78d8.jpg

01_190411_055338.jpg.4ec806197162e73ce9efe9add996a320.jpg

Looks good with the steelies too. 

Interior will be stock other than I'll add in a rollcage, as per the rules, along with maybe some more modern race seats for "safety and comfort". A fire extinguisher and probably a few Go-Pro's and a tablet for recording the journey, cause who wouldn't want to record an experience like this. 

35315886-770-0@2X.jpg.a5f93f5640fe923310a8029dad316875.jpg

And lastly, the engine. The nice little 2.0L engine, and the kit comes with one, will be detailed up with some wires and whatever else looks appropriate for the time.

I'll also add in some mudflaps, skid plates, and likely a roof rack. I may open the truck up and put in a fuel cell as well. 

35315904-770-0@2X.jpg.adb92b7d9ad3258913a12a31300017e7.jpg

Likely won't get started till the New Year. So see you all in 2022.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jhedir6 said:

The kit is pretty much the same as the regular Hard Top version but has the Watanabe wheels, which I like better, but I'm not sure if they are actually correct for that era or more modern.

The Watanabe 8 spokes have been around since the 60s so they qualify as a period modification. I picked up a set for my Lotus as faux Minilites.

5 hours ago, Pete J. said:

You got me thinking about this and I decided to check my inventory. I have one that I paid $27 for NIB.  Yes, I have a spreadsheet with all my models and what I paid for them and no, my wife has never seen it!  Perhaps it is time to bust some of these out and sell them to boost my retirement. ;-0

You could definitely put some money in your pocket. I don't know if it's the influx of new or returning builders that are driving prices up or just general economic forces but the market is certainly strong.