Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris CBP 2022

Jantrix

16 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I was a bit confused about why you chose to print this out when Tamiya makes a karmann ghia kit and then I went online and saw they were selling for $75 to $150!  Yup, I get it.  I know why you chose to print it.  Nice job by the way.  Interested to see how this progresses.  Keep posting.  

Yep, I looked for those a while back before I even bought the file and it was ridiculous how expensive they were. I didn't see one under $100 when I was looking.

I have made some progress on my ‘67 Chevelle. I can agree that the Chevelle suits the theme better and I actualy miss the ‘cudas front suspension and the challenger one does not match perfectly.. 

Any how, of al my currently active projects, ‘69 Camaro, ‘96 Impala, ‘01 Silverado C5R, ‘87 BMW 635, The P2P Chevelle feels most interesting and straight forward since many of the others have so much fabrication to do. 
I have gone over the pros and cons with the AMT vs Revell body, and the Revell body feels better and is a little bit wider over the roof which in my opinion feels more right. Besides the Revell interior is way better looking and more stock looking than the AMT and the Revell tub does not fit the AMT body. Also the PB chassis fits better the Revell body.
Will need to do some custom work of the rear fascia and bumper from the AmT to Revell since the PS version have a custom and not good looking behind. The AMT hood have been widened with strips to fit the wider Revell bay. Also the hideous flash on the front fenders have been taking care of and most of the panel lines are done. And the plastic of this kit is really nice to be working with, smooth and soft. Also removed the molded in wipers. Will not bother with cleaning up the groves since new wipers will go there later.

19D05BD4-9C47-4281-A84C-8E543B8A3829.thumb.jpeg.41118a433ac44f96943ed743ca0ca57f.jpeg

You know what's been bugging me about this build? Whether to build the fresh and clean at the starting line racer or the mid race,  kinda thrashed and filthy racer. The dirty version would be more realistic perhaps but that's the sort of thing I do a lot of. I'm quite torn to be honest. 

The Johnny Lightning diecast will be the basis for my entry. Little car has some scaling and proportion issues, but should make a fun conversion to a relatively simple rally car. Already asked Pete for decals, so I guess I'm committed. 

As restrictive as the rules regarding modifications are, it's not likely I'll go off the deep end (as usual) with micro-engineering. :D

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Haha 1

I just noticed this topic and the first thing that popped into my head was "2CV". The car will be named "Le Canard Pekin" (Peking Duck, "Duck" is an affectionate nickname for the 2CV). Hood-mounted spare, roll cage, bomber-style seats with harnesses. Big roof rack and lots of lights. Lots of reference pics out there for rally 2CV's too.

1 hour ago, jaymcminn said:

I just noticed this topic and the first thing that popped into my head was "2CV". The car will be named "Le Canard Pekin" (Peking Duck, "Duck" is an affectionate nickname for the 2CV). Hood-mounted spare, roll cage, bomber-style seats with harnesses. Big roof rack and lots of lights. Lots of reference pics out there for rally 2CV's too.

This sounds like a cool build.

11 hours ago, Fat Brian said:

This sounds like a cool build.

Thanks, I need to get out of my replica build/factory stock rut and use my imagination a little. Plus I've picked up some pretty decent weathering skills along the way that I can apply. I might try soldering brass for the roof rack, but if that doesn't work out I can build in styrene. 

On 12/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, jaymcminn said:

Thought you might like a little inspiration!

2cv.jpg

Have goten some engine work done. But I just noticed that my planed valve covers from the AMT kit does not work on the Revell engine, was several mm to wide. 
Well back one step and paint the amt engine instead since I only have Moroso valve covers for this engine.. if I can’t find some thing that works in the PB

edit: found a set of valve covers that fits and looks right but one have 8 bolts instead of the 7 that most my csb covers have but I will ignore that, de chrome them and paint them black. This since the chrome was quite worn.

8A7383C6-8951-4ECD-9579-802B7839F55E.thumb.jpeg.976f3ade9ab017ca05b3f548afca5f4d.jpeg

Edited by Mattilacken

On 12/31/2021 at 7:50 PM, jaymcminn said:

Ok, you hooked me.  I posted a photo earlier on your post of a deux-chevaux from an earlier P toP race.  Found a kit and and am going to have a go at it!  THANKS!🤪

On 12/6/2021 at 8:01 PM, Pete J. said:

Yup, got my last unfinished builds and this will get them finished!  I'm excited!  I will try to get some decals in order.  I will try to get enough together so everyone can have a pair in 1:24 scale. 

image.png.b8a6b543bc4442bb17afe529fc74e294.png

This is going out to all of you who requested decals.  I have mailed them out to all who have requested them so far.  The last went in the mail on Tuesday when I found it under the seat in my car.  Give them a couple of weeks (especially the international ones) and if you haven't gotten them, let me know with a PM and I will send out another set. 

Oh and if any of the rest of you want them, let me know.  I still have several sets. 

• Like 1

Okay, I got the 7 up on its wheels this morning. It ended up a little higher than I had intended to clear the tires, it's got about six inches of lift in the rear. I wanted to keep the fenders as stock as possible since if I had removed them I'd have to replace them with something else some how. 

20220109_143927.jpg.11c78b65d3e5612e245eebf174641086.jpg

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Ok, you hooked me.  I posted a photo earlier on your post of a deux-chevaux from an earlier P toP race.  Found a kit and and am going to have a go at it!  THANKS!🤪

Awesome! I'm accumulating bits for mine right now, thinking about modifying the MPC Jeep wheels and tires for 3-lug hubs to get the knobbly-tire off-road look. 

24 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

Awesome! I'm accumulating bits for mine right now, thinking about modifying the MPC Jeep wheels and tires for 3-lug hubs to get the knobbly-tire off-road look. 

Trying to make the same decision myself. In looking at the real deal, it doesn't look like any are running true off road tires.  More of a mud and snow type tire.  Thinking of digging through my WRC kits for a gravel type of tire.  They really don't go off road, just very primitive roads. 

Also considering my paint job.  Was considering two tone pink just to be weird.  Maybe a graphic for Deux La Femme. There are multiple female codrivers but I can't find a true all female team. 

Or perhaps a green and gold with a Perrier water logo?  Maybe a Gauloises?  I am sure I have some of those decals from old Porsche kits.  The White Blue and Gold would look quite spectacular.

Edited by Pete J.

1 hour ago, Pete J. said:

Trying to make the same decision myself. In looking at the real deal, it doesn't look like any are running true off road tires.  More of a mud and snow type tire.  Thinking of digging through my WRC kits for a gravel type of tire.  They really don't go off road, just very primitive roads. 

Also considering my paint job.  Was considering two tone pink just to be weird.  Maybe a graphic for Deux La Femme. There are multiple female codrivers but I can't find a true all female team. 

Or perhaps a green and gold with a Perrier water logo?  Maybe a Gauloises?  I am sure I have some of those decals from old Porsche kits.  The White Blue and Gold would look quite spectacular.

I think you're thinking Rothmann's on the Porsche livery. It would be hilarious to see it on a 2CV, with the white and blue following the line of the Charleston paint scheme. Gauloises' colors are light and royal blue with a winged helmet logo, which would look cool.  I like the two-tone pink as well, the idea of an all female team is pretty neat. I'm thinking about building mine as a fictional "classic era" Top Gear challenge car, which is ironic because Clarkson and Hammond both hate the 2CV with a passion. Of course no Top Gear challenge car would be complete without fake sponsors whose innocuous names turn vaguely obscene when the doors are open. Hmmm... 

31 minutes ago, jaymcminn said:

I think you're thinking Rothmann's on the Porsche livery. It would be hilarious to see it on a 2CV, with the white and blue following the line of the Charleston paint scheme. Gauloises' colors are light and royal blue with a winged helmet logo, which would look cool.  I like the two-tone pink as well, the idea of an all female team is pretty neat. I'm thinking about building mine as a fictional "classic era" Top Gear challenge car, which is ironic because Clarkson and Hammond both hate the 2CV with a passion. Of course no Top Gear challenge car would be complete without fake sponsors whose innocuous names turn vaguely obscene when the doors are open. Hmmm... 

Top Gear really sounds cool.  It would have been fun to see Clarkson, Hammond and May compete in the P to P.  They did some serious drives on the show.  This would have been fun.  Give them each a 2CV and let them modify it for the race and see how far they got.  Great idea.  Can't wait to see your work.  My model is due here today so I may get started soon. 

9 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

I think you're thinking Rothmann's on the Porsche livery. It would be hilarious to see it on a 2CV, with the white and blue following the line of the Charleston paint scheme. Gauloises' colors are light and royal blue with a winged helmet logo, which would look cool.

You are spot on.   After digging through my decals, I realized that I was thinking of Rothmann livery,  though the Gauloises would be very appropriate.  I am trying to keep it french if possible.   I do like the idea of Rothmann a lot and have several extra sets of those decals.  I also have the Gauloises From several motorcycles.  Lots of choices.  Looks like the delivery man just arrived with my kit, so I should get it open and start the process. 

I am enjoying our conversation Jason!  This is a part of modeling that I really enjoy, interacting with other creative people.