Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peking to Paris CBP 2022

Jantrix

19 hours ago, Pete J. said:

You are spot on.   After digging through my decals, I realized that I was thinking of Rothmann livery,  though the Gauloises would be very appropriate.  I am trying to keep it french if possible.   I do like the idea of Rothmann a lot and have several extra sets of those decals.  I also have the Gauloises From several motorcycles.  Lots of choices.  Looks like the delivery man just arrived with my kit, so I should get it open and start the process. 

I am enjoying our conversation Jason!  This is a part of modeling that I really enjoy, interacting with other creative people. 

Absolutely. Engaging with other builders is the joy of forums (especially this one). I'm a member on the Miata.net forum as well, and as fun as it is to talk little Japanese sports cars with the other members there, and as much as I've learned from and helped other members, it isn't exactly the same. Modeling is only a solitary hobby if you want it to be these days between shows, forums and social media. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses and getting mine up and running!

Speaking of the Miata.net forum, one of the members over there is from San Marcos and is continuously posting up amazing pictures of the local classic cars. I envy the car culture you have there.

I'd like to join in with this beast.

IMG-0289.jpg

Don't have anything on hand right now for the year of birth build so I figured why not try this rally. Been doing some research and it really looks like a cool adventure. I think my wife and I could keep this thing running for about 8k miles. I don't really have much of a space to build right now because of remods going on in our new house,  I'll make do with what I got at the moment. Got this out a while ago and started on the front end. Puttied around the grill piece and started replacing the little ribs on the fenders with stretched sprue. Pics aren't great right now, but I'll get everything straight as I go along. anyway, here's what is done so far.

IMG-0290.jpg

I need find some better tires and wheels for the long haul. 

Edited by Tim08

7 hours ago, jaymcminn said:

Absolutely. Engaging with other builders is the joy of forums (especially this one). I'm a member on the Miata.net forum as well, and as fun as it is to talk little Japanese sports cars with the other members there, and as much as I've learned from and helped other members, it isn't exactly the same. Modeling is only a solitary hobby if you want it to be these days between shows, forums and social media. Looking forward to seeing how your build progresses and getting mine up and running!

Speaking of the Miata.net forum, one of the members over there is from San Marcos and is continuously posting up amazing pictures of the local classic cars. I envy the car culture you have there.

I thought I knew all the car builders here in San Marcos, but I don't of anyone who is does Miatas.  Do you have a name.

Yes, SoCal car culture is not to be believed for the most part.  So many special cars all over the place.  A brand new McLaren(still had a temp tag on the back) blew by me on a back road near my house.  Didn't realize anyone in my area had that kind of money! 😁

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm pretty sure it was said earlier that you can run any number you want, and in the case of duplicates, no problem.

But I've been wrong before.   :D

Anyway, I want 66.    B)

You're correct, I found the post that indicated that. Thanks.

20 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I thought I knew all the car builders here in San Marcos, but I don't of anyone who is does Miatas.  Do you have a name.

Yes, SoCal car culture is not to be believed for the most part.  So many special cars all over the place.  A brand new McLaren(still had a temp tag on the back) blew by me on a back road near my house.  Didn't realize anyone in my area had that kind of money! 😁

The guy is a fellow Miata owner on the Miata.net forum. Goes by the user name rloewy, so probably a Studebaker fan. There's a thread called "Motoring Around My Neighborhood" and he posts up some great pictures of the local SoCal cars. Everything from immaculate VW Beetles to Buick Invictas with 60 years of patina.

Honestly, around here McLarens, Astons and Ferraris are pretty commonplace. Mostly driven 5mph under the speed limit by some old fart terrified of the whirlwind of sound and fury that one errant tremor of his right foot could release without warning. 

Edited by jaymcminn

I’m going to throw myself in and use this as motivation for a completion. I’ve really been a fan of this style model and have a few ideas, but for now I’ll be going with AMT Capri II kit. The US version was a 1976 model year, but the Ford Capri II started actual global production in 1974, so I think it would qualify…? The model and the actual 1976 car were released and built in 1975, so meets that portion. 

Anyhow, here is the kit:

2430749B-FA5D-4F79-954C-E8DC24F9A4EF.jpeg

I’ve some work cut out for me as these mid 70 AMT kits are neat but finicky. 

Edited by Erik Smith
  • Like 2

For all you builders who live outside of the confines of USA, I went to the post office the other day and got a few international stamps, so if you want placard decals PM me.  I have what I need to get them in the mail quickly.

As to the USA based builders, I have plenty of sets to send out to you also.

P toP individual 2022 plaque 24th scale sized.jpg

• Like 1

This sounds intriguing.  I will do my research, and go through the stash to see what I have that will get the juices flowing. 

Ok, read through the official rules and picked my car. I am going with a 65-66 mustang.  I owned a 65 Falcon Futura sedan with a two bbl 289/C4. At 55mph it got 25mpg and had plenty of torque, and since the 64-66 mustangs are re-skinned Falcons, they should have comparable specs. (Little known useless fact,  1965 Falcon sprint hardtop was lighter and faster than its brother, the 65 Mustang hardtop with gt package.) If i understood correctly, the rules said you could upgrade the cooling system with electric fans and chassis reinforcement.  So for the sake of period correctness.  I could add subframe connectors, over the counter heavy duty shocks, and front and rear sway bars.  This era Mustang also was available with a posi rear-end. 

Does all that seem correct to those who have done this before?

Edited by Sam I Am
Updated

Ok, working on a bit of storage for the Citroen.  I will be making 4 different sizes.  This is the largest.  Perhaps I need to make the logo a little larger.  I suspect because of the small size it may be unseeable.  This one is a little off, but I am learning to fold paper cleanly.  The next will be better.   image.png.10f1b0f060041a115126cd7f6ef34915.png

• Like 1

So this kit was space age for the time, and it still holds some merit, but the overall fit and such has some issues. I did a little online research and found a couple people that have built it and mentioned fit issues, so working those out first. The big thing was the fit of the firewall, interior tub, and body - fortunately somebody else discovered this so I can fix it now. Here is the body kind of in place. 

There isn’t a ton of online photos (good ones) of the Ford Cologne V6, but the kit looks relatively correct. 

692F5001-42E3-4222-8F56-395C5259269D.jpeg

435A7A6A-4A85-4A25-9891-93B1BC53FAEE.webp

16 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

So this kit was space age for the time, and it still holds some merit, but the overall fit and such has some issues. I did a little online research and found a couple people that have built it and mentioned fit issues, so working those out first. The big thing was the fit of the firewall, interior tub, and body - fortunately somebody else discovered this so I can fix it now. Here is the body kind of in place. 

There isn’t a ton of online photos (good ones) of the Ford Cologne V6, but the kit looks relatively correct. 

692F5001-42E3-4222-8F56-395C5259269D.jpeg

435A7A6A-4A85-4A25-9891-93B1BC53FAEE.webp

I'm seriously jealous, I want one of these kits in the worst way.

On 1/18/2022 at 12:20 PM, Erik Smith said:

Isn't that the same V-6 that wound up as the 2.8 liter option in the 80's Ford Ranger mini truck? If so, that might be another option to explore.

31 minutes ago, kermn8r said:

Isn't that the same V-6 that wound up as the 2.8 liter option in the 80's Ford Ranger mini truck? If so, that might be another option to explore.

Yeah, very similar. The European version has a “siamesed” two port exhaust - US version has three ports. But I’m not too worried about it - they were mostly black and pretty boring looking! 

On 1/24/2022 at 10:02 PM, Pat Minarick said:

The episode of Wheeler Dealer that I just was watching is about getting there 1916 Cadillac ready for the Peking to Paris race. I only caught the end of it, but they didn't make the race.

I saw that also. I tried finding any info that they actually went to China, but didn't find any. A shame,  but the race would have been brutal in that Caddy.

Well my 450 SLC kit finally arrived. I ordered it before Christmass and it arrived on Friday. I had a lot of time this weekend and soI was able to get it completed. I di not do a lot to add to it, as the kit included everything I wanted to upgrade. I am not impressed with this kit, but it is an old ESCII kit. The fit of the wheels/tires were really bd, they stuck out 1/8in on each side. There were several other fit issues I had to address. 

Anyway, it has 5 point harnesses, skid plate, spot and fog lights, roll cage and rear seat delete. I did soe very light weathering to give it the look that it is early on in the race, so a little dst and dirt, but not beat up. 

20220129_155708.jpg

20220130_114116.jpg

20220130_114105.jpg

20220130_114053.jpg

20220130_114130.jpg

20220130_114207.jpg

• Like 2

Getting a nice accumulation of "stuff" for the trip from Peking!  Sleeping bags and tarps need to be painted and several different sizes of parts boxes and cases of oil.  🤪 The grids are 1/2".

PXL_20220130_215848621[1].jpg

Edited by Pete J.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Getting a nice accumulation of "stuff" for the trip from Peking!  Sleeping bags and tarps need to be painted and several different sizes of parts boxes and cases of oil.  🤪 The grids are 1/2".

Nice collection.

I watched a vid on YT on how to make tarps and sleeping bags from putty. I plan to at least do a tarp for mine. My little KG doesn't have a lot of room so I won't be packing as much.

3 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nice collection.

I watched a vid on YT on how to make tarps and sleeping bags from putty. I plan to at least do a tarp for mine. My little KG doesn't have a lot of room so I won't be packing as much.

The boxes were easy once I found some printer paper in brown craft.  I may have to come up with some "French" canned food boxes next.😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MeatMan said:

Nice collection.

Thanks for the info on YT!  Just watched one and discovered that there is a thinner for the apoxie I used.  Just ordered some.  Perhaps I will make some more bits a little thinner. Also need to make a carton or two of Galious cigarettes!

• Like 1

Okay, I finally started making some modification to my P to P entry.  Decided that I will have to open the doors to show off all that stowage that I have been making.  Got the rear door open.  Debating opening the front door.  If I do that, then I have to make a central door support out of brass as the plastic one will just be too thin.  Also debating converting the doors to the older suicide configuration with the hinges mounted on the center support.  If I do decide to make the conversion it is time to drag the soldering equipment out and get to work. 

image.png.aa31e9924c285f75391ebfdeb705bfda.png

• Like 2

Tiny bits of progress. I am building a mid-race version, so will be a little dirty - and the car will not be a show car. The cologne V6 got painted in all black, I exposed some little bits of chipped paint and put a light coat of road dust on. 

Wheels will be 13” minilites from Fireball Modelworks. 

E396EBF6-3050-4215-B0C5-5E62E041BE4E.jpeg